+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Weight loss shakes..

Minchi thanks for this thread. I needed a reminder been wanting to do this for awhile

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LoCo For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This might be a long post. I lost 30+kg on the various optis's - slim and fast. Here's what I know that worked for me. It's the carb component that is important when you're on a VLCD (very low calorie diet) or ketogenic diet. All of the shakes are very similar but go looking for the ones lowest in carbs and highest in protein. Protein fills you up. Forget about calories. It's all about the carbs and their glycemic load. The less carbs, the quicker your body goes into ketosis, which essentially means your body is burning fat and not the sugars that are generated by carbs. Sugars increase your insulin levels and high insulin decreases your body's ability to burn fat. High insulin is an indicator that your body is burning sugar for fuel rather than fat. And we want to burn our excess body fat.

The densest carbs with the highest glycemic load are those found in flour based products and rice. Say goodbye to pasta. These kind of starchy carbs kick your body straight out of ketosis, which will negate what you are trying to achieve with the shakes. Better and lighter carbs come from fruit and vegies, but only some. Optifast gives you a list. Those fruits and vegies with a low glycemic index and load are the ones you need to search out. A good link to all of this in more detail, but written in layman's terms is:
    http://clarecooking.tumblr.com/post/...ntignac-method

You can easily measure if your body is in ketosis while doing the shakes, and thus tell if you are burning fat. If you have a friend who is diabetic, ask to buy some ketone strips from them. Over the counter for non-diabetics they cost $20+ dollars for 100. Diabetics have them subsidised to 50c for 100. You POAS (yay, another reason to POAS, not just for ovulation or pregnancy!) and the colour coding will tell you if you are in ketosis. A dark wine colour means that you are absolutely smashing the shakes and you are burning maximum fat. A pale skin pink colour lets you know that you are burning the mouthful of carbonara you snuck in an hour ago, and not fat. Ketone sticks kept me on the straight and narrow and highly motivated. I knew I was losing weight and in the most efficient way; I didn't need to jump on the scales, my POAS ketone strips told me immediately if I had been good or bad. I loved those little fellas

Apart from low GI-load fruits and vegies, I ate protein. Sheet loads. Little tins of tuna, and the best salmon, prawns and steak. If it was protein, no matter how much I ate while on the shakes I was still in ketosis, burning fat as fast as my body could make it happen. If I whacked on some mayo (even lite mayo, check the carbs out) then my POAS strips would tell me that I had bumped myself out of ketosis. It would take 24 hours depending on what I had eaten to put myself back into ketosis.

Someone asked about not mixing the shakes with hot water? Apparently it destroys a lot of the nutrients in the shakes that you should be having to keep up the levels of vitamins etc you need while you are burning fat. My nutritionist said to take a multi-vitamin each day, and mix the shakes in cold water, then add hot water, not boiling. I added coffee to mine each morning too. It's still my usual brekky now, even 6 years on.

In a nutshell, that's how I made the shakes work for me.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kalgirl For This Useful Post:

babylady  (19-01-2013),butterfly2013  (19-01-2013),Cleigh  (19-01-2013),GlitterFarts  (19-01-2013),LoCo  (19-01-2013),Wishing88  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow Kalgirl, that went straight over my head I think I have over 30 to lose and Im wanting to try the shakes. I will try find the thing you speak of to make sure Im burning fat and not just sugar lol umm Yeah... Just wanted to say thanks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleigh For This Useful Post:

kalgirl  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    thanks Kalgirl! interesting information! I'm liking this thread - everyone is supporting each other

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

kalgirl  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Oh kalgirl you are a legend! I'm starting tomorrow and you have answered everything I was thinking! I only want to lose the last 5 so this should be easy to achieve after reading your post! Thank you x

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LoCo For This Useful Post:

kalgirl  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could seriously cry! I feel like such a moron... I was having the crappiest day today with the kids, they seriously did my head in baaaadly and in the end I have 2 pieces of pizza for dinner!! no excuse!!!

sigh. starting again tomorrow. aargh. this ain't easy sometimes. and i had been soooo good these last few days..

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    I could seriously cry! I feel like such a moron... I was having the crappiest day today with the kids, they seriously did my head in baaaadly and in the end I have 2 pieces of pizza for dinner!! no excuse!!!

sigh. starting again tomorrow. aargh. this ain't easy sometimes. and i had been soooo good these last few days..
    Oh no but sometimes we need moments like these to put us back on track hey I'm with ya tomorrow don't stress. Could've been worse could've been 3 pieces....:/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Oh no but sometimes we need moments like these to put us back on track hey I'm with ya tomorrow don't stress. Could've been worse could've been 3 pieces....:/
    lol. thanks.. yeah true, could have been way worse. weird thing is, is that I'm never an emotional eater, I didn't even feel like pizza, I wasn't hungry or craving anything... i just stupidly ate it! and for the first time since I ever remember, I didn't even enjoy it! lol. ah well. all part of the weight loss journey.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post

Oh no! Don't beat yourself up! I had salad for dinner at MIL's birthday thinking that would not have much of an impact, but then ate a piece of cake anyway!

This doesn't mean all is doomed. As I see it, we have not derailed, just stopped at a crossroads. Tomorrow, we get moving again!

Cheesy, but true!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rlpreston For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is a great thread!

From what I can gather, the optifast shakes are the ones doctors recommend because they have the most nutrients and the best carb/protein ratio? My doc suggested I have that particular brand even though they are more expensive. I have to lose weight but also have fructose intolerance so this is also like a fructose detox for me. I've done it before and it worked really well for me. I tried the biggest loser shakes once (I got a few sachets for free somehow, can't remember) and thought they were a bit yucky. The optifast forum is very helpful. Some people add coffee to their shakes to help with the taste but I quite like the vanilla ones. The only thing I don't like is that it's really hard to get the variety pack sometimes and they don't have the variety pack in big boxes. I think with regard to chosing a program it really just depends on which shake keeps you full for long enough and tastes reasonable for you. In the end we all have different tastes so what I think is yum others will think is yuck! Good luck everyone starting out on the shakes and well done to those who have already done so well I know it's not a long term solution but I honestly think it helps you get past the cravings and once you start to see the weight dropping off it's a huge motivator. No matter what weight loss program you follow, in the end if you don't change your lifestyle of course you will put the weight all back on again.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly2013 For This Useful Post:

rlpreston  (20-01-2013)