+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bad Lisp. Feeling guilty and worried.

My 2 year old has a bad lisp.
    She is a very active talker, communicates with us very well.
    She has troubles pronouncing words with:
    • "Th", words like; thank, this, tooth etc
    • "S", words like; Snake, spiders etc
    • "Z" sounds like; Zach, Zoo, Zip.
    And she struggles with "R" sounding words but not as much as the others.

She will spit/drool when the Lisp comes through.

I'm just very worried as I have a lisp, I know how much it has effected my life, it's horrible and mine was left to long that I just can't grasp speech therapy so I'm worried about DD.
    I'm also feeling guilty that maybe the only reason she has a lisp is because she hears me say things, and has copied.
    Family already tease dd about it, however whenever I have heard anyone say something bad about the lisp to her I pull them up and tell them that is completely unacceptable, and I won't tolerate them bullying my daughter like that so family have backed off now.
    DD has a few older friends (around 4) and they will sometimes say to dd "Can you say Snake" dd will say snake and they laugh, dd doesn't understand but I'm worried, She will understand when she is at school

My dr has said not to worry about it, she will grow out of it but I'm not to convinced (maybe because I have a lisp that followed me into adulthood)
    My husband finds it cute, he always said my Lisp is what caught his attention and he finds it attractive In me. he thinks we should leave dd the way she is.
    He has said if I'm that set on speech therapy he will support it though.

I want dd to go to speech therapy, I wish my parents took me when I was younger!
    Not when I was 15 and begged, by that point it was to late.
    I feel like an idiot when my lisp comes through, it has knocked my self confidence for years and I just can't help but blame myself for dd's lisp.
    My lisp isn't sever, but it's bad enough for people to still tease me about it, I don't spit when I talk, but "Th" and "S" words are difficult for me, if I'm very nervous when I speak I can stumble on my words and I just end up looking like an idiot who can't speak.

I do not want her subjected to the constant teasing I had, or still have from time to time.

Maybe I'm overreacting and she is only 2.
    But at what point would you say "Yep the lisp is not a cute baby thing, it's time for speech therapy"
    Is 2 years old to young?
    I'm I being paranoid, or over reacting?
    Should I just leave it like my husband says, just teach her not every one sounds the same and help her build confidence in the way she speaks and to have acceptance of others?

I'm just worried about it all.
    I suppose my biggest question is what age do you send a child with a lisp to speech therapy?
    It might just be a baby thing but I don't want to wait for it to get worse

Sorry this has turned into a bit of a vent, it's just been playing on my mind a lot lately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS, and then DD started speech therapy at 2years4months. My son has verbal dyspraxia, and my daughter has some dyspraxia but also a slight lisp. With speech therapy, they will be teaching your child how to make the sounds correctly, but be aware those sounds are developmentally learnt at a later age.

You would never say "I wish my child hadn't started speech therapy at a young age", but you would say "I wish I had started them earlier"

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure about other states, but thinking they should at least be similar, but in WA we have an early prevention speech and hearing program. My son was sent to Speech from 2 1/2 years old to keep him in the system and combat the speech issues that people think they might outgrow, yet don't and by the time they hit school age the waiting lists are very long. He is now 4 and has grommets, they think his was a hearing issue.
    Went to latest speech appointment and now he doesn't have to go back until end of term 1 as he is now in kindy and shall be surrounded by speech and communication.
    So at least here, again don't know about other states, if there is any concern at all from child health nurse during the 18 month -2 year mark with speech you get referred- just in case (took him about 6 months to get in).

If you are worried check what government supported speech and hearing programs are available for your state's child development centre and if there is nothing for early intervention then discuss it seriously with GP, and don't stand for the outgrow sentiment, if you didn't outgrow your lisp people should at least understand why you want your daughter to have earlier speech therapy and take your concerns seriously.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you both so much.
    I'm relieved to see I haven't been told to get over it and she will grow out if it.
    I've had others say "It's just a Lisp" well yes it is, but that doesn't mean it won't effect her in many ways, socially, job wise, her confidence etc.

It can also be very frustrating when she is trying to speak and others can't understand what she is saying, so ill try and say the word to her more clearly but then because of my lisp it fails, she will get even more confused if my mum or someone else is then over my shoulder trying to get both of us to say something "Normally" which ends in them having a laugh at Lisps and me extremely angry.
    I've had family tell me I should just let Dh be the one to teach her words, which is just unrealistic for so many reasons.

Dd is very shy at the drs, I don't think my GP understands how bad it actually is.
    I have numerous videos of her talking, she is very talkative at home.
    I might just ask her to say a few words she has trouble with and video it to show it to the dr.

I suppose where I'm at with everything now is that I will be putting her into speech therapy, clear communication skills shouldn't be given up over "Cuteness" or the tale of "She will grow out of it"
    So she will be going, but it's the age I'm unsure of.

I'm in QLD, Im not even sure how they run things here.
    I'm guessing waiting lists here will be pretty much on par with other states.
    We do have PHI so I don't know if that world help.
    But it might be worth getting her booked in now on the chance it could take 6 months+ to get in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Id strongly suggest that you do get her some speech therapy, the earlier they start correcting it the better.
    If you go to your GP you can get a special health care plan set up where you get 5 free sessions per year.
    You will find at speech therapy you will learn the techniques and be able to help her at home as well.

I have a 10yo family member who's parents didn't get do anything about his lisp even though the school suggested it.
    And to be honest it is hard to listen to him speak because its quite bad.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm not going to say that you are overreacting OP because I recognise that you are a worried parent who has struggled personally with a lisp.

However, as a speech pathologist, I can tell you this:
    - S and Z sounds develop between 3-7 yrs
    - Th develops between 4-7 yrs

So I advise you to take her to the therapist to set your mind at ease, but recognise that there is a range of normal
    Best of luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

onionskin  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    I'm not going to say that you are overreacting OP because I recognise that you are a worried parent who has struggled personally with a lisp.

However, as a speech pathologist, I can tell you this:
    - S and Z sounds develop between 3-7 yrs
    - Th develops between 4-7 yrs

So I advise you to take her to the therapist to set your mind at ease, but recognise that there is a range of normal
    Best of luck
    I appreciate your input, I do know parts of me are over reacting, but I guessing that's just because I know what it's like to have a lisp and of course I'm worrying when my dd starts showing the same difficulty I start thinking the worse.
    I will still take her for "Just in case"
    But you post had me breathe a sigh of relief.
    It would help if my family would back off, Somedays I just feel so stressed out about it all.
    I guarantee if I didn't have a Lisp then it wouldn't be such an issue and I would be more relaxed to wait and see how her speech is when she is older.

It's also a bit daunting to know if mine was treated earlier in life I might not have it now, I'm glad you put some ages up for me so I can feel a bit more at peace that time isn't running away and if therapy wasn't going to work at this age we can still try again when she is older

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Bad Lisp. Feeling guilty and worried.

I had a terrible lisp as a toddler/child. Since I grew up in a tiny western town there was no speech pathologists to help. I did outgrow my lisp by primary school but it comes back a little when I'm tired, drunk or stressed. Mine was s, z, th, and c/k

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I can recommend, as a less pricy alternative to private practice, without community health waiting lists, the speech pathology children's clinic at the university of qld, st lucia campus. There is a fee, you can inquire when you call. You can choose between a session with a qualified SP, or to have your DD assessed by a student under the guidance and supervision of a qualified SP. The student option will be cheaper
    Here's a link
    http://www.uq.edu.au/healthclinics/speech-pathology

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    I can recommend, as a less pricy alternative to private practice, without community health waiting lists, the speech pathology children's clinic at the university of qld, st lucia campus. There is a fee, you can inquire when you call. You can choose between a session with a qualified SP, or to have your DD assessed by a student under the guidance and supervision of a qualified SP. The student option will be cheaper
    Here's a link
    http://www.uq.edu.au/healthclinics/speech-pathology
    Thank you for that
    It's something we will defiantly look into and consider.
    I have no problem with students, I have been there so I know how important it is to have people willing to let a student look after them.
    I actually prefer students if I get the choice.
    St.Lucia is just down the road from us so it works well.
    Thank you for helping me out on this