+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is there a good amount of time to wait after having a baby to try again for a second?

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone knows if it is better (for your body) to wait 1 year or so to get pregnant again after having a baby?
    Many thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd say so.. even tho I know of others who haven't waited til the year was up.. but personally I do think it's better as having two so close together can be quite a handfull.. especially when they get to toddler age.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is there a good amount of time to wait after having a baby to try again for a second?

I fall pregnant (unplanned) when DS was 9mths. I've also been told that 12-18mths is optimum.

My OB has said that he is concerned if I have a big bub that I may not have healed yet internally (bad tearing and episi), so will monitor me closely towards the end to try and minimise any further damage etc

Thanks
    Reviews

My obgyn said its better to wait at least 9months before trying again, just so your body has time to heal/rest.
    In saying that DD2&3 are under 11months apart but it was the toughest pregnancy by far. Love the age gap though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'd say it would depend on what kind of pregnancy/labour you've had!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Momkey For This Useful Post:

MinkyJ  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

My ob suggested 2 years was a good time for your body to heal. Although there are so many people who ttc after 6-9 months after giving birth and are fine. I think you need to work out what is best for you personally as you know where your body is at

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would say a year minimum, but everyone is different. I think a year would just be good to give your body some healing time etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I asked my MW the other day and she said it depends on your on labour and pregnancy.

I had dd (8) via vb with little to no tearing and no blood loss. I had no blood pressure issues or swelling in that pregnancy or this current one. MW (who was my ante-natal carer in both pregnancies) said if this birth is same as last time go ahead and try straight away if I want.

She wasn't even bothered by my "advanced maternal age" of 38. (This is reason I want to back straight away)

So we won't use any contraceptives at all.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I agree I think it depends on your pregnancy and birth. After my 1st birth my OB saw no reason why we should wait and we conceived DS2 5 months later.