+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Am I holding her back??

She sounds very normal. You sound like you are doing a great job. My ds wasn't feeding himself at all at 18 months let alone using cutlery!! He was in a cot til 2.5. He stopped using sleeping bags at around 18 months but only cause he learnt to unzip them! Just keep doing what you are doing and relax

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Am I holding her back??

Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Firstly - stop watching Supernanny! Or else view it as simple entertainment and take what they show you in the video clips with a grain of salt. Its perfectly normal for an 18mth old to stab at food.

Secondly, don't do anything you're not comfortable with just because you think you 'should'. If its working for you, then stick with it eg dummy, sleeping bags etc. There'll come a time when its clear its no longer working, or no longer a good idea and then it will feel right to change.

You've put in so much effort with the intolerances, reflux, sleep that I think you should stop, relax, and feel proud for a bit. You're certainly not holding her back, from what I've read (I've followed a few of your threads) quite the opposite.
    I agree with all of this! I remember a lot of your threads aswell and you should be so proud of how far you and your DD have come I think you're doing an awesome job and by the looks of it your DD is thriving

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Cue  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Your DD sounds like my DS, he's 21 months and is still like that, cling onto me like crazy when out. Only just got more vocabulary in the last 2 months. And eats with his hand.
    I was worried too. Wondered exactly the same things. But every baby is different it's so hard not to compare though.
    I just try to talk to him more, talk clearer and repeat more and in the past few weeks he's really starting to pick up! I am trying to take him to more out door activities classes play groups so he can be less shy hopefully. And I just let him make messes with spoon and folk, hes sort of getting better but many times food would still fall off his spoon!
    I feel that I should be doing something to help him develop. Especially when he doesnt have older siblings to learn from.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tubster For This Useful Post:

Cue  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Agree with everyone else - she sounds totally normal. And my DS went from like 5 words at 16 months to over 70 at 18 months. Once they start talking they just explode!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Cue  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone - I'll keep doing what I'm doing, lots of story time (she loves books so that's easy) and just lots of pointing and naming things, chatting to her etc. She's starting to copy me quite a lot lately (she got the broom out and started sweeping the floor yesterday, so cute!) so I guess speech will follow soon enough.