+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Blocked duct help

I have had a lump on my right breast for about a week now which I assume is a blocked duct. I have been massaging it, using hot compresses and trying to keep it as empty as possible, feeding and expressing off it, but it just seems to be getting bigger and sorer.

Any other ideas of how to clear it?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Some useful tips here about mastitis and blocked/plugged ducts http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

I've found the basin soak most helpful. Also my blockages have been caused by blebs, where skin grows over the hole where the milk is meant to come out. Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks
    Reviews

Go to a physio who can do ultrasound on it. It works wonders! No idea how but it works.

Thanks
    Reviews

If it's getting worse u should see your GP as u may need antibiotics. When it goes bad it goes bad pretty quickly.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Try an electric toothbrush. It's been there a while now, so you might need to see your GP in case it is an abcess. Lethicin can help to prevent them, if it keeps coming back.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you don't have an electric toothbrush around I've used my vibrator before, don't worry you wont be the first

Also as strange as it sounds grated potato shaped into a disc and plonk it on some glad wrap and pop it in your bra on the sore spot (grated potato to skin). Don't laugh it worked for me once!

Thanks
    Reviews

I'd be a bit concerned that after a week it is more serious than a blocked duct so would try the ideas here but also ring your GP tomorrow for an appointment. I got chronic blocked ducts last baby and often it was a clogged duct which I could see by squeezing the nipple and looking for tiny white spots. If I found one I'd scrape it with my fingernail and it would shoot off like a cork on champagne. Then milk would explode out.. I'd hardly need to massage the lump as it was so backed up. Hopefully you will have an easy problem to fix like that. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Blocked duct help

I hope something fixes it. Noticed today that I'm not getting much out of it at the moment when I express it, but I know there is milk in there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Please call the Aba 1800 mum 2 mum they will give you some good advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With me a larger lump/ hard mass that wouldn't go soft after a feed and got progressively harder was due to a blob/milk blister where milk could t escape through a particular hole in the nipple. When I got a blocked duct, it was a small lump which was usually resolved through various methods within 24-48hrs. I fou d with a bleb, you have to actually unblock the bleb with either your nails or needle - bub sucking didnt really do it. So I think it depends on what it is??

But if you do get chills and feel feverish please go see GP ASAP...

hope it clears for u soon,,,