+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that's slack and don't believe they couldn't help due to insurance. I think it was more they didn't want to lose the staff for five mins, in which case maybe they could've said if you can wait a bit they'd be able to help. When I worked at Coles we would help people take things to their car all the time. It's common courtesy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know it is a pain, but I wouldn't have even thought to ask and I wouldn't have remotely gone there to buy it if I was injured & couldn't carry/lift it myself. I find it extremely frustrating when I need to buy big/complicated things and I have my baby with me as I just can't do it. Kmart keep their costs to a minimum and having extra staff to take stuff to the car is just not something I imagine they do ... and my local Kmart is in a big shopping centre so the car could be 10 minutes walk away.

Having said that when I went to Kmart with my son (5yo) and my dd in a pram and bought a big Christmas train the woman at the front of the store saw us struggling & went & got us a free trolley (they usually need a coin put in them) so I could push the trolley & my son could push the pram. I thought she was very helpful.

I have a bad back and can't lift much. I would love to buy stuff from Ikea and I'd be more than happy to pay a fee for someone to get stuff off their shelves & take it to my car for me, but I can't find anywhere on their website that they offer that service. So, I can't go to Ikea unless my husband is with me, which means it's pretty rare as he's busy. BUT, if I could get the stuff into my car, he would be quite happy to get it out when I got home. But, I understand that Ikea is a cheap store, because they employ minimal staff and it is self help, etc. So, I don't begrudge them that ... I just wish I could shop there more often (although my bank balance might drop a bit as a result!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    I know it is a pain, but I wouldn't have even thought to ask and I wouldn't have remotely gone there to buy it if I was injured & couldn't carry/lift it myself. I find it extremely frustrating when I need to buy big/complicated things and I have my baby with me as I just can't do it. Kmart keep their costs to a minimum and having extra staff to take stuff to the car is just not something I imagine they do ... and my local Kmart is in a big shopping centre so the car could be 10 minutes walk away.

Having said that when I went to Kmart with my son (5yo) and my dd in a pram and bought a big Christmas train the woman at the front of the store saw us struggling & went & got us a free trolley (they usually need a coin put in them) so I could push the trolley & my son could push the pram. I thought she was very helpful.

I have a bad back and can't lift much. I would love to buy stuff from Ikea and I'd be more than happy to pay a fee for someone to get stuff off their shelves & take it to my car for me, but I can't find anywhere on their website that they offer that service. So, I can't go to Ikea unless my husband is with me, which means it's pretty rare as he's busy. BUT, if I could get the stuff into my car, he would be quite happy to get it out when I got home. But, I understand that Ikea is a cheap store, because they employ minimal staff and it is self help, etc. So, I don't begrudge them that ... I just wish I could shop there more often (although my bank balance might drop a bit as a result!).
    Sorry to go off track here, but if you go to the ikea website and select Perth as your location, you can buy the stuff online and have it shipped to you

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

mim1  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in a supermarket and although we are allowed to help wheel trolleys to cars, we are strongly recommended not to lift heavy items for the customers, not due to insurance but due to risk of injury (back injury in particular).

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I'm just curious as to how you got it in the trolley in the first place, off the store shelf!
    haha I said that to a lady the other day, she had 3x 30 pack of Coke cans, and was going through self checkout which doesn't have the heavy item lookup, you have to physically scan them. She asked me if I could scan them all for her as they were too heavy for her, and I said no. She carried on and on so I asked her how did she get them in her trolley in the first place if they were 'too heavy'. She ended up huffing off down to a normal register.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Unimpressed with lack of customer service at Kmart

I've met plenty of staff at shops, even some big shops that have offered to carry things for me.

I agree about an insurance thing but its nice when they still go that extra step.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I work in a supermarket and although we are allowed to help wheel trolleys to cars, we are strongly recommended not to lift heavy items for the customers, not due to insurance but due to risk of injury (back injury in particular).

haha I said that to a lady the other day, she had 3x 30 pack of Coke cans, and was going through self checkout which doesn't have the heavy item lookup, you have to physically scan them. She asked me if I could scan them all for her as they were too heavy for her, and I said no. She carried on and on so I asked her how did she get them in her trolley in the first place if they were 'too heavy'. She ended up huffing off down to a normal register.
    Ha! Funny how they're suddenly helpless at the checkout!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was at target a couple of months back and pregnant as noticed by the girl on the checkout. I was buying a baby gate and it was quite heavy, although in a trolley. It was a Sunday and really quiet in the store. The girl said 'oh you can't lift it into your car, I'll come out and do it for you'. I thought that was especially nice and not what I'd been expecting!
    She turned to her manager and said 'just going to help this lady with this baby gate as she is pregnant'...

The manager said 'urm, no, she can push it in the trolley.' The young lady serving me looked really deflated, so I told her not to worry!!!

As a matter of interest to the poster who talked about Ikea, they do actually have staff that will lift it all and load it into your car in the loading bays. I went last week and was blown away by how helpful all the staff were. They were of the younger generation that always seems to cop it for being lazy but these 'kids' were great! This was at the Perth store so I am not sure if it's the same in other states.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Ha! Funny how they're suddenly helpless at the checkout!
    I often wonder how they are going to get it out of the car at home

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

The nice man at Dan Murphy's always helps me put a slab of beer in my car.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

I've met plenty of staff at shops, even some big shops that have offered to carry things for me.

I agree about an insurance thing but its nice when they still go that extra step.