+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Transitioning 15mo to toddler bed.

Hi all
    I have been considering putting my 15mo son in a toddler bed. He has been co-sleeping with me since 3 months. He starts off in his cot and after midnight is in my bed. But lately i have noticed how much he is hating his cot because he clearly feels trapped. He will sleep for hours on the couch or a normal bed so i was thinking if he had his own bed he could get out of himself he would sleep alot better. I am also due with #2 in May so co-sleeping is no longer going to be an option shortly.
    Thanks for your help
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow, you're brave! My DD is 15 months and I absolutely couldn't imagine her sleeping in a bed. She's in a portacot full time because we're staying at my dad's house until house settlement, and she moves all around the portacot all night! The good thing about the portacot is that the sides are soft so she doesn't wake herself up bumping into the edges. When she was in a normal cot she kept waking herself up when she bumped her head on the sides, drove me crazy. I'm just going to keep her in the portacot, even when we move into our own house, then I'll put her in a bed after she turns 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I moved my DS into a single bed at 14 months with absolutely no issues whatsoever. He slept better in his bed, and I had no choice anyway as he was climbing out of his cot at it's toddler setting.

My DD is 18 months now, and is sleeping brilliantly in her coz and I'm struggling to contemplate moving her at this stage, so completely and utterly different. I do have to move her into a bed soon though to free up the cot for the next baby! It's definitely going to be interesting.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Subbing

Our daughter is 16 months and she can get a foot over the top of the cot. So I think well be headed that way very soon.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Transitioning 15mo to toddler bed.

I put my ds in a toddler bed at 14 months and was the best thing I ever did. Sounds like I was in the same situation as you. He would wake up sleep on the couch or his little seat couch thing and would be fine but in his cot he would take forever to settle and it was horriable. The day I took down the side and out the rail on he sleept for 13 hours and did get out once. Every now and then he climbs into bed with me but if I put him back in his bed he stays there. He is now turning 2 and every time I say bed time he runs to bed! Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can only try op and hope it works.

i am going through this with ds2 who is 21mths. He started climbing out of his cot so we transitioned it into the toddler bed. He loves sleeping on his brothers bed having his day sleep so I think he is ready. It's been 3 nights but all good so far. If he gets out of bed I take him straight back in there, eventually he realises he is not going to win and stays there. I put ds1 in a bed at the same age.

Thanks
    Reviews

We did the transition around that age and it was well worth it. BUT DD had always been a dodgy sleeper sober approached it from a 'well it can't get any worse' perspective.

She really liked it. And because she was so excited about it she rarely got out of it once she was in it. Yet she would climb out of her cot at the drop of a hat.

We got an extendable toddler bed from IKEA. We've gotten brilliant value out of it - she's now 4 and still sleeping in it as a full single.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    We transitioned DS1 at 14 months and DS2 at 15 months... best thing ever, they both started sleeping better once they were in beds

Good luck with the transition, better to do it now than in a few months when baby is here, thats for sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    btw I'm due in may too!!! Are you in our facebook group??