+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister is 4 years older than me, I don't think it made any difference. We were really close when we were kids. Once she got to being a teenager though she was a moody cow and I was "the annoying younger sister" but during our younger years it was fine. Funny thing is, I was and still am closest to my eldest sister who is 11 years older than me! I don't think the age gap makes a difference at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: is 4.5 years too much of a gap?

I can tell you from a kids perspective.. my brother is 4 yrs older than me and my sister is 4 yrs younger.

Growing up my brother was a bit too old to play with but he looked out for me and we still had fun.

My sister tried to copy me and really looked up to me but I found her annoying until I was in my late teens.

Now I get along well with both.

I also have a younger brother who is 6 yrs younger and I have always gotten along with him the best. The gap just seemed to work between us because I looked after him and he is a great kid.

I would have loved to have a sibling closer in age. My brother and sister with their 2 yr gap seems to be perfect.

That said, I am so glad I have all of my siblings no matter the age gap and I couldn't imagine my family any different.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm the youngest of 3 with a 4 year age gap between myself and next oldest. I was always left out and ignored. My sisters always went out together etc and I was ignored. If there's just two tho it mightn't be so bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We will have a 4.5 year gap between DS and this baby when he's born (still baking for another few months!). It's perfect for us. I am a SAHM and my DS is starting kindergarten in a few weeks, he's independent and able to understand what bringing another person into the family means. He's so excited! I wanted the next baby to have as much one on one time with myself and my DH as DS has had. My sister had her two children 20 months apart... seeing what that has been like has definitely contributed to me wanting the larger age gap!

ETA. There is a 20 month age gap between my younger sister and I and a 5 year gap between my older sister and I. Although I get along well with my younger sister as we have the same interests etc. I have a more mature, stable and less competitive relationship with my older sister. My younger sister and I clash a lot and it always reminds me of when we were younger and we would fight and argue etc.
    Last edited by Urban Tumbleweed; 09-01-2013 at 15:10.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default is 4.5 years too much of a gap?

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Mine are exactly 4.5 years apart and there are a lot of positives about big gaps. Having the older one independent is a great thing for one. I can't think of many down sides to it really, for me anyway.
    Same! Mine are exactly 4.5 years apart and so far it's been great! My eldest has managed quite well and loves being the 'big boy' and helping. I also make sure he gets to do special things that DS2 can't do yet (sleep overs at Nan's etc) so he still feels special. My boys are just starting to play together and interact more now (DS2 is 11 months old). For us it's been great!

I would have preferred a smaller gap but I had to contend with secondary infertility so in the end the gap was the least of my problems. I'm so grateful to have my boys that's all that matters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum22 View Post
    I am so desperate to have number 3 i always expected i would have number 3 by the time my ds2 was 2.5 he is now 2.5 so i accepted that i can wait until he is 3.5.

but my DH wants us to pay off some debts and get ourselves finically set up, while I know this is the smart thing to do i cant help but feel that a gap of over 4 years is HUGE

I dont want kid no3 to be complaining that his brothers are so much older then him and feel left out.

so what do you think is 4.5 years too much of a gap?
    would you prefer to have a 3.5 yr gap?
    do you think it will affect a youngest child having to older siblings so close in age and make him/her feel left out?
    I think a 4.5yr age gap will be fine. I opted for a 3yr gap between 1 and 2 and its perfect. We will have the same between 2 and 3 at least.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope its not too big! By the time next one comes ds will be atleast 5 yrs...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine will be 4.5 yrs gap .. I never wanted more then one child .. Then changed mind about 6 months ago .. I think for me the gap will be great .. Couldn't handle 2 nappy kids at once .. My girl will be in 4 year old kindy when this one is born ..

Thanks
    Reviews

Default is 4.5 years too much of a gap?

Nope :-) I have a 5 year age gap between 1&2 and my sister has a 15, 13 and 2x3 year olds. It can work at any age, just depends on the kids :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I know heaps of families with 5 or 6 year age gaps due to recurrent problems with miscarriages. I think it's completely fine. The older child is a real help, generally dotes on the baby and is responsible and capable of being left with a small child without worrying too much (I don't mean for long). My dd1 is nearly 7 years older than DS and she adores him and can watch him for me while I go to the toilet etc. she also understands waiting, and the difference between "no" and "not now", which is completely lost on my 3 year old.

Doing IVF meant age gaps were largely out of our control so it was never something I got too stressed about. But yes I agree with the pp who said having 2 kids in nappies is the pits. I couldn't wait to get dd2 out of nappies once DS arrived.