+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone changed from private to public during pregnancy?

Hello

just looking for advice. I know this has potential to be a loaded question and stir debate over intervention rates, public vs private etc. I guess I am asking if anyone has changed their mind re their health care provider half way through.

I am 32 weeks pregnant and having second thoughts on my ob, who initially proclaimed to be very pro natural birth but is already talking c section at 32 weeks and I have no complications.

Has anyone changed to public for similar reasons? How did it turnout?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews

I went private with my first and going public with my second (currently 31 wks) so no advice on switching as such.

But experience with a private ob, I had been in labour for over 30hrs & pushing for a few hrs with a 'face up' bubba, ob set a time and said either forceps or c section at 11.30pm if no baby by then. I chose forceps so she stuck with that. I had no pain medication for my whole labour, nor did she push anything on me. I felt comfortable and confident having a private ob with lots of experience with my first child. I also thoroughly enjoyed having hot meals and a private room and private bathroom - will immensely miss that this time as its not the nicest time to be sharing a bathroom, let alone bedroom (with a curtain in between.)

I wouldn't switch at 32 weeks, after already paying majority of your ob fees and she knows you and your history. Can your partner/support person come to ur next appt and clearly state you want a natural delivery, if you're not confident saying it firmly when alone ???! I'm sure she will respect your wishes, you're her patient so it's her job to do so.

As far as public goes, so far no issues for me but im 24 and have no complications and I haven't delivered yet, I haven't particularly enjoyed seeing a different midwife for every appt tho and not looking forward to sharing a 2 or 4 bed room .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to newmummy2010 For This Useful Post:

acerbaby  (09-01-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

No I haven't but it's not uncommon and it's never to late!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

acerbaby  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not myself, but my sister did. Was pregnant with twins and there was talk that they may come early etc...and if they were born before xx weeks she'd go to the public hospital as the private didn't deal with premi's etc. So she decided at 30 weeks to change to public....and they were born at 33 weeks.
    No idea of the ins and outs of what she did/didnt pay for though.
    Good luck with your decision

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

acerbaby  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. Changed at 28 weeks and scored a spot in the birthing centre. My private obs had started hovering his pen over his diary while talking c section. He also informed me I would be giving birth in a semi reclining position to make it easy for him. No thank you. Public hospital was great. Ended up transferred out of birth centre due to post dates and needing an induction but had the natural birth with minimal interference that I wanted. We used our private health at the hospital and got a private room (subject to demand of course) and we had no gap $ to pay just the standard excess that applies to our policy. Up to my 3rd baby now and have never even considered going back to a private hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

As you have already paid all your fees, I would be more inclined to stick with it but just educate yourself and don't be afraid to stand up for what you want. If all is well, just stay at home for as long as you can when in labour, keep in touch with the midwives and go to hospital when you think you are ready - or hire a doula for the last part of pregnancy if you feel like you need someone to help you out with this.
    In saying that, don't ignore any medical advice from your obstetrician, but ask lots of questions and make decisions together - any well respecting medical professional will make decisions WITH you, not FOR you.