+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is 20 months too early to drop day sleep?

As the title suggests we are having major sleep issues they mainly resolve around my 20 month old not wanting to go to bed at 7, 8 or even 9. I'm wondering if he's just not tired.

I try giving him lots of activity during the day to ensure he's had fresh air and a run around.

Our normal routine is wake at 6.30, asleep at 11.30/12 to 1.3-200. Then I out him down at about 7.30-8 and he's asleep by about 9.15.

I'm wondering if dropping the day sleep will help with evening settling and sleeping through.

Is it too early? Has your LO given up a day sleep early?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Is 20 months too early to drop day sleep?

My kids normally drop their day sleep bout 1.5yrs old.... If they still had them then I had to limit it to an hour at most otherwise they weren't going to sleep til bout 9-10pm at night. My 3rd child who is 15months now seems to getting to the stage where I will.need to limit her day naps to bout an hour... She's been gertijg hard to get to bed at normal bed time. If you think it will help maybe reduce how long they nap for.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks so much for your reply micky. I have been limiting to 1.5 hours but I still think that was too much. I'm going to try and drop it for a week and see what happens. It's good to know other toddlers were like my boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD2 gave up day sleeps at 21 months by her own choice (certainly not mine). It makes the time from 4pm until bedtime fairly long because she is tired and grizzly but she goes to bed without a fuss at 6.30pm almost every night and sleeps until anywhere between 6.30 & 7.30am (mostly 6.30 I must admit).

It sounds like its worth a try to see if you can get him to bed a little earlier.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd is 23 months gets up 630 nap from 11-2, bed at 6.30-7 earlier if she had a shorter nap

My ds gave his nap up before 2, and then was a nightmare in the afternoon! But would often sleep 14-15 hours overnight.

If he was really fetal we'd take him for a drive and let him sleep in the car

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    As the title suggests we are having major sleep issues they mainly resolve around my 20 month old not wanting to go to bed at 7, 8 or even 9. I'm wondering if he's just not tired.

I try giving him lots of activity during the day to ensure he's had fresh air and a run around.

Our normal routine is wake at 6.30, asleep at 11.30/12 to 1.3-200. Then I out him down at about 7.30-8 and he's asleep by about 9.15.

I'm wondering if dropping the day sleep will help with evening settling and sleeping through.

Is it too early? Has your LO given up a day sleep early?
    Ds2 is 21mths. He went to 1 sleep a day instead of 2 at 19mths. He wakes at 6am, he sleeps from 11am to 1pm and goes to bed no dramas at 7pm.

My opinion is that bubs still need a day sleep until 2 yrs ish, will be over tired otherwise and harder to get to sleep at night. Ds1 had a day sleep til he was 3 and even now at nearly 5yrs he will still have the odd day sleep.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My advice is that its most likely a phase, I personally wouldnt give up the day naps fully just yet

My oldest had day naps until he was 3.5 (when he started Pre-Prep) and my youngest is 29 months and he still naps for approx 3 or more hours a day, he does go to bed a bit later, but if we miss out the nap he is cranky all afternoon so its not really worth it (he goes to bed at about 8:30pm, it's also nice to have one on one time with youngest when oldest is already in bed at night )

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks all for your replies. He was actually quite good today without the sleep. He went down at 6 just now and I must say that I'm loving the evening to myself. I'm not sure if he will give up every sleep every day, tomorrow we have appointment in town and I know he will fall asleep in the car on the way home. That's ok. I offered and tried the day sleep today but he just wasn't interested.
    He starts back at daycare in feb and may pick it back up again as he tends to follow the rooms routine.

I wish he would keep the nap but more than that I just can't have this battle every night either.

I love hearing all your stories, it makes me feel like I fit in the normal range.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey peanut, this phase started a couple of months ago. In your experience how long would this phase last?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

I'm glad today went well for you

Um, for us it was a bit of a struggle from 2yrs old til about 2.5 - I wasn't ready for the nap to be gone as I'd just had DS2 and relied on their joint naptime to stay sane lol

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub