+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Gender specific toys and your thoughts?

My daughters would rather play with trucks, cars, tools etc as oppose to dolls and "girl" toys.

We don't have gender specific toys in our house. We just have toys. We have dolls and the like, and we have cars and stuff as well. The kids actually prefer reading books or playing outside on the trampoline and swings instead.

I don't believe in "girls" toys and "boys" toys. I live seeing little boys playing with baby dolls and playing house- I reckon those kids will grow up respecting women and make bloody good dads! The same as I live seeing little girls playing with "boys" toys- I reckon they will grow up not limited by what society sees as "female" roles.

In our house there is no "girl" toys or "boy" toys.... There is simply TOYS.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've always just focused on my children's interests, my boys have always had prams dolls, a doll house but they also have very 'boy' toys too. DD got a few 'girl' toys this year for christmas mainly because the boys had thrashed the other ones to within an inch of it's life, so she got a pram, doll, kitchenette and we bought her a vacuum mainly because she enjoys screaming at us for a turn with the big one, my boys play with it probably more than she does! She would much rather walk around playing with the boys transformers/lego/matchbox cars than the kitchenette and the only reason we didn't buy them for her was because it's not really age appropriate even though we don't stop her touching them..I guess I don't think I need 3 lots of lego/transformers/matchbox cars LOL!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DD got a variety of toys of both gender brackets. She loves all sorts of toys from her dolls and their strollers to her trains and her race car.

Both our families love farming, the country and outdoorsy things. so she got a lot of animal related things, farmy style toys etc.

I think children can play with what they like. If your little boy wants a dolly and a pram, then why not. If your little girl wants a race car and tractor, then why not.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    we bought her a vacuum mainly because she enjoys screaming at us for a turn with the big one
    Where did you buy the vacuum? I haven't been able to buy one and DD loves vacuuming

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I HATE it. I've even seen a toy clothesline - "for the girls" of course. What a honking load of BS. Kids like to imitate mum or dad, so if there is a stay at home parent doing house work, male or female, and a stay at home kid watching them, male or female, they WILL play along at cleaning, washing, cooking - whatever we do.
    To tie that in to one gender, and play it up with pink toys marketed solely at one gender, is clearly conditioning women into doing this kind of work. It's vomit worthy (to me).

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInShadesOfGrey View Post
    Where did you buy the vacuum? I haven't been able to buy one and DD loves vacuuming
    I ended up getting it from a private toy store but it's just the playskool one here http://www.bigw.com.au/toys/baby-pre...talking-vacuum doesn't actually suck..which I think is why she is not too keen lol!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Meh, I don't go for specifics with DS. I admit that at one stage I was nearly pulling my hair out trying to find a toy vacuum cleaner for him that WASN'T pink (I hate the darn colour! Lmao) but got cranky when I realised I couldn't find anything 'home' toy related that wasn't in that sickly bubblegum pink colour.

And when it comes to Lego, Lego is for boys AND girls! I got so cheesed when I saw that they'd brought out 'girl' Lego sets because it implied that girls need something to be pink to appreciate it. My sister and I played with Lego almost as much as our barbies as kids.
    Toys R us had red and yellow home toys (mops and buckets etc) can't remember the brand though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    before i had kids i was NEVER going to buy gender specific toys. I was a tom boy growing up and would play with transformers and ghostbuster green slime while all my friends had my little pony's... However I have one child of each sex and try as I might my dd is the girlyest girl you have ever met. Her favourite toys are baby dolls, prams, kitchens and soft teddys. She wants to wear pink dresses and fairy costumes and dance ballet. My ds on the other hand is very into computerish toys (i.e. ipad, kids laptops etc) and cars and trains, he likes to sing and dance but prefers rap dancing. They are aged 2 and 3 and Neither attend daycare and we have both kinds of gender specific toys in the house so they are free to choose what they like to play with. Im not saying its "natural" because clearly I wasnt like that. But my two kids are so stereotypical in their toy choices that its almost embarrassing. Its just who they are....