+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Gender specific toys and your thoughts?

DD has gravitated toward all things girly and princess related, so we have a lot of fairy/ princess stuff.

She also has a tool set, animals, a train set, etc. But her preference is for dolls.

I haven't bought her any toy cleaning stuff, partly as I get offended that's seen as a girl thing, but mainly because she never sees me doing it, so she'd probably wonder what they all were!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gender specific toys and your thoughts?

I honestly don't give much thought to it. For Christmas I picked toys for my DD based on what I saw her enjoying a Playgroup and friends houses. She loves Duplo so got the farm and Zoo set. She also loves dolls so she got that as well. I never have really thought about making sure everything was or wasn't pink.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a 3yo dd and a 9 mo dd. I never really though about gender specificity when getting toys. My MIL kept every book DH ever had as a child so we have a lot of books about trucks etc. We have a toy kitchen and baby dolls as well as some tool sets, Lego and a train set.

I don't think it really does any damage to just have "girly" toys as long as you teach the girls all the right lessons. I had only girly toys (one of 5 girls) and I never thought my destiny was to wash, iron and cook.

Having said that, I prefer to have a range of toys to help teach real life skills, including cooking, cleaning and using tools. I would teach the same to a son as well

Thanks
    Reviews

Forgot to add, we also have a huge Barbie house and Lalaloopsy collection, just for fun as my daughter likes them

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Meh, I don't go for specifics with DS. I admit that at one stage I was nearly pulling my hair out trying to find a toy vacuum cleaner for him that WASN'T pink (I hate the darn colour! Lmao) but got cranky when I realised I couldn't find anything 'home' toy related that wasn't in that sickly bubblegum pink colour.

And when it comes to Lego, Lego is for boys AND girls! I got so cheesed when I saw that they'd brought out 'girl' Lego sets because it implied that girls need something to be pink to appreciate it. My sister and I played with Lego almost as much as our barbies as kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Gender specific toys and your thoughts?

I brought my ds (22months) a pram and dolly, with nappies, bottle, potty etc around xmas. He is an only child, and we were visiting his cousins.

He attached himself to my nieces pram and dolls, so we got him one. We had to drag hers into big w with us while he got to chose his own. Yes, both the pram and doll are pink. I would have preferred any other colour, but they weren't available so thats how it is. He loves it!!!

I have even taken it in public as he wouldn't part with it....and I had to field questions and comments about is he a boy or girl, that I would turn him "gay" or just see facial expressions and people laughing. if asked I say he is a boy but he likes it, he is too young for a sexual preference yet, and that we are showing him how to be gentle with the baby and teaching him empathy and caring behaviours with it....so if/when we have another child he will also already have those concepts, and he loves to help.

He also has a vaccum cleaner (red) and broom etc. he spends all day with me and likes doing what I do, he sees it role modelled daily. I have also considered a wooden kitchen set as he loves cooking with me and spends alot of time at my nieces one when visiting except space is an issue.

we have major tantrums when I do housework because he wants to do it for me.

Oh, he does have alot of "boys" toys too like trains tools cars etc but we go on what he likes or wants, not what he "should" be playing with.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 09-01-2013 at 08:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I buy my DD's the toys they like playing with. For DD1 she loves dolls and girly toys. DD2 loves cars and trains and things like that.

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Actually in regards to domestic type toys ( vacuums, kitchens, lawn mowers etc) I read somewhere that they are really great toys for young children as it helps with their role play and imagination plus they see us ( mums and dads) use them and they want to be like us - I'm not sure about you guys but my 26 month old DS always wants a "turn" after I've used the dust buster or broom and loves pressing the start button on the dishwasher and washing machines!

I bought DS the Ikea kitchen for Xmas, mainly as it is a neutral colour as most unfortunately were pink

I also bought him ken and Barbie from toy story 3( his fav movie) and at boxing day lunch my BIL made some stupid comment about not letting DS play with Barbies and where is GI Joe and our friend ( who is openly gay) said
    " mate I agree , I only ever wanted to play with the boy dolls too" it was priceless and shut him up very quickly!
    That's gold!!

I have two girls, the eldest at the moment is obsessed with dinosaurs,fairies and snails.
    My youngest on the other hand is real mum,she has 2 dolls that are like her babies and so I got her a cradle for them and MIL got her a pram.

MIL did buy them a beautiful broom, it wooden and kind of witches broomstick looking and while didn't like the idea at first, they use it in so many different ways (and my floor gets cleaned sometimes too!).

I try not to make everything pink and frilly and girly but my eldest does request a lot of things to be either pink or purple. Meh as long as they're happy I am!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    We have 2 girls and a boy and I've noticed differences in what they want to play with and what they are attracted to. But then this afternoon all 3 of them played babies together and DS had a wonderful time joining in. But he carries his baby differently to the girls; they cradle them and he drags them behind him. He could also watch a truck lay dirt for an hour whereas the girls would have watched for 5 minutes. So I do tend to think there are fundamental differences in how they play, but I don't really care what they choose to play with. We have a massive amount of Lego and duplo, as well as cars and train sets, barbies and babies.
    I've noticed the same with my 2, while DD was little and played with cars she wouldn't crash them, they all drove around nicely. Unlike DS. And DS loves his doll but prefers to take her for a spin in his big tonka truck.

I also hate the cleaning stuff!! Why is it in the girl section!!! I hate cleaning lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ill admit im not one who cares about gendar things for my sons 1st birthday i brought my son 2 dolls the raggay andy and raggay anne dolls lol.
    tho i see where your comming from it seems like times never stop changing tho me and my df fight over this coz he thinks boys should only get trucks but he thinks its ok for girls to play cars but not ok for boys to play dolls and i think if there happy its fine