+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Gender specific toys and your thoughts?

If anyone's interested, some good blogs/businesses aimed at eliminating gender stereotypes are "toward the stars" and "pigtail pals" - good discussions about advertising, media and marketing of kids stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Actually in regards to domestic type toys ( vacuums, kitchens, lawn mowers etc) I read somewhere that they are really great toys for young children as it helps with their role play and imagination plus they see us ( mums and dads) use them and they want to be like us - I'm not sure about you guys but my 26 month old DS always wants a "turn" after I've used the dust buster or broom and loves pressing the start button on the dishwasher and washing machines!

I bought DS the Ikea kitchen for Xmas, mainly as it is a neutral colour as most unfortunately were pink

I also bought him ken and Barbie from toy story 3( his fav movie) and at boxing day lunch my BIL made some stupid comment about not letting DS play with Barbies and where is GI Joe and our friend ( who is openly gay) said
    " mate I agree , I only ever wanted to play with the boy dolls too" it was priceless and shut him up very quickly!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (08-01-2013),RobinSparkles  (09-01-2013),winterbaby  (08-01-2013),Witwicky  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We have 2 girls and a boy and I've noticed differences in what they want to play with and what they are attracted to. But then this afternoon all 3 of them played babies together and DS had a wonderful time joining in. But he carries his baby differently to the girls; they cradle them and he drags them behind him. He could also watch a truck lay dirt for an hour whereas the girls would have watched for 5 minutes. So I do tend to think there are fundamental differences in how they play, but I don't really care what they choose to play with. We have a massive amount of Lego and duplo, as well as cars and train sets, barbies and babies.

Personally as someone who loathes ironing I couldn't think of anything more boring than a pretend iron and ironing board. I don't think babies, dolls, prams, cots etc are automatically girl toys (although if they are pink I realise that's the intent). Hopefully most men are as involved with their kids so why should they automatically be girl toys?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Among the presents i arranged or bought for DD for xmas was a matchbox car track, blocks, tonka truck, golf set...
    My mum bought her a doll, high chair and cot....
    She has barely touched the stuff i got her

Thanks
    Reviews

We don't purposely only buy gender specific toys, although she has a few that we have bought and a few that are gifts.
    She also has dinosaurs, Little People plane, airport set from Target, ride on bus, Duplo Zoo.

We have a boy on her way, and I'm sure she will play with his trains and he will play in her kitchen!

We've always bought her things we thought she'd enjoy, not concentrated on girl/boy toys.

I know my Nanna enjoys buying her girly things , as she's the only girl great grand child !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    LOL I bought lots of gender specific stuff this DS this Xmas - he got a pink dolly, a pram to push her in, a cleaning kit with mop, broom etc, a vacuum cleaner. He also got wooden trucks, puzzles and musical instruments. His fav thing is the pram..although he will push the truck around in it at times .

I just buy what I think he will like, regardless of what colour it is..I couldn't find a neutral pram, so he got pink...he doesn't care and neither do I or my DH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is exposed to all toys, has a toy kitchen as well as a work bench and has had a doll in the past. However, all he wants to play with is the stereotypical boys action figures/cars etc

He will mention that barbies are for girls and his latest craze monsuno's are for boys but I always correct him and he is starting to agree that everyone can play with whatever toys that they want.

Provided kids are exposed to all types of toys I do not see any problem with them gravitating to boys/girls toys.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD has just gravitated towards dolls and prams and all things babies. But she also loves being outside helping daddy with wheelbarrow and spade ect. All the little boys that come and play at our house always go for the prams first! They love them!

The thing that has always annoyed me is the cleaning toys. They are all in the girl section at toy shops/department store and they are mostly all pink!!! I have never brought DD out of principle although I know she would love it because she loves to help me clean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I let the kids decide what to play with.
    Ds often plays barbies with dd (spends most of the time laughing at their boobs), I would always find him in the girls dress ups as a lil one and I bought him a kitchen one bday as he loved a friends.
    Dd on the other hand loves everything girlie and will only play typical 'girl' games. I had to buy her the girl lego as she would only use the red and white blocks ds had. She refuses to wear things that have no pink, loves make up and enjoys rummaging around handbags for lippy.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It bugs me when I see gender specific toys too. I was looking at a toy catalogue recently where the 'girl' pages had pink vacuums, irons, washing lines, doll prams etc and the 'boy' pages had science kits, building blocks, puzzles etc. What is that teaching our kids???

There's nothing wrong playing with domestic toys but why are only usually aimed at girls?

Of course girls and boys are different, there's no denying that but that doesn't mean we narrow their enjoyment and creativity by deciding what sort of toys they get based on their gender.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (09-01-2013)