+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gender specific toys and your thoughts?

Ok, so we've just passed Christmas and all of my nieces got either or all of the following:
    *dolls
    *prams for said dolls
    *bassinettes for said dolls
    *an oven
    *an iron and ironing board
    And more.....very female related toys.

So my question is this:
    In a generation where our mothers and mothers mothers have fought for equal rights and for women to be thought of as more than just the household cook and cleaner, why do we push our own daughters to believe this is what their life is about? Cooking and cleaning?

This isn't a bash thread, or $hit stirring session, I'm just keen to hear everyone's thoughts on this subject.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a boy and a girl so they both play with all toys.

People will buy what they buy, mostly because its 'cute' or its what they like. I see nothing wrong with it, I just try to buy more gender neutral stuff myself.

Having said that, my son loves cars and my daughter loves makeup and pretty dresses..... Nothing I do or buy will change that!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We don't do gender specific toys in our family. I have boys and they have a toy kitchen, prams, dolls, pink things, my son even has pink shoes because pink and green are his favourite colours. I don't think anything of it. They also have dinosaurs, cars, trucks and trains...all of the typical 'boy toys' that are marketed at little boys - I have never pushed my children towards certain toys. I buy them toys that I think they will enjoy playing with, and toys that will enrich their play experience. My eldest adores dinosaurs and has been fascinated with them from the very start, however my youngest son loves sitting and cuddling his dolly, and pushing it around in the pram

I thought it was sad that we had visitors over Xmas and they bought my boys a toy wheelbarrow each and bought my toddler niece a pink handbag. She just wanted to play with the wheelbarrows! In the end my Dad went and bought her a wheelbarrow too, and she loves it
    Last edited by Witwicky; 08-01-2013 at 22:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I can't stand gender stereotypes. I tell DD regularly that toys/ colours/jobs are for everyone.

DD got lots of Lego for Christmas, when my grandma commented that she thought Lego was for boys, DD gave her a huge lecture lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 3yo dd and 1.5yo ds. Both just seemed to gravitate to the stereotypical gender bias toys. Ds loves cars, trains, trucks and pushing things like his wagon and lawn mower. Sometimes he will get into his sister's things but get bored of it very quickly and goes back to his cars. Dd is very girly she likes crafts, dresses etc. Similarly she will play with her brothers toys if they are new but also bores of it quickly and go back to the girly things.
    Whilst i know that all kids are different i think toys are geared to particular genders bc it is common for the majority. I dont stop my kids from playing with toys because they are "girl" or "boy" toys.

Thanks
    Reviews

We won't be buying gender specific toys for our kids.
    I only had a few barbies growing up but my brothers played with them more than I did! And I used to play with their cars under the house in the dirt and build tracks and bridges and such.
    One of my brothers 'adopted' a discarded doll of mine and would t let it go for such a long time
    We all made mud pies together and this involved both getting dirty and 'cooking'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hate that everyhting is either pink or blue! i always end up getting the 'boy' option.

My DS loves tea parties, dolls, and dressing up in his tutu, my DD loves riding her bike and dinosaurs and cars, not a big deal to me. My DH gets funny about it though - he didnt want me to buy a doll house for DS for his birthday, so i just spent waaay too much on an awesome plan one for DDs bdayas I know he will love it too

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 2 dd so we have a lot of dolls and pink because dd2 loves these things (even watching abc kids she gets excited over show like angelina ballerina appossed to bob the builder) we never push gender specific identity but she just gravitated that way. But for Christmas amongst all the pink Santa did manage to buy her a tool work bench (to help daddy) along with princess dress ups and a doctor kit a little bit of everything!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I understand the dolls prams and cradles as my DD's love pushing their dollies around and putting them to bed etc but MIL gave DD2 a set for xmas that included a toy washing machine, ironing board & iron and a dustbuster.... Thats taking it a bit too far

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Gender specific toys and your thoughts?

My ds's comforter and fav toy is a small pink doll. he takes it everywhere. He plays with cooking and kitchen things, has a pram and often asks to have his nails painted...and I think its wonderful My dh sometimes makes the odd comment but I don't think toys should be just for girls or just for boys..if they like it, let them play with it. Its all about discovery and imagination also, I think sometimes ppl just get a girly or boyi pressie for the child as it seems like the safe option..just incase the parents arnt as opened minded maybe
    Last edited by mummakat; 08-01-2013 at 23:02.