+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default MCN & newborns

I agree with NMC's comment just from a cost POV. $100-$150 on prefolds I'd better spent toward long term useable nappies. That's why I went with "Softbums" All in 2 system and got the bamboo pods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome I ended up getting some itti bitt sized on sale at $14 each which should cover the first bit. Fingers crossed it all works. I think I am becoming a bit mcn obsessed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Itti's are fantastic

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's good to know. Their sales are amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    it may be just be but my newborn was going thru 10-15 dirty nappies a day for the first 2-4 weeks of his life. i was in no state to be dealing with mcn's then!
    I am re-using the ones i got for my previous bub and have just started him in them now he's 8 weeks and the dirty nappies have calmed down and we have a little bit of a routine happening. He's going thru 6 a day and i wash every 2nd day. Yes they leak because even the itti bitti ones and the petite ones have gaps in the legs and ds is 5.5kgs with tree trunks for legs. So maybe im doing something wrong!
    Only lasted till dd was 12mths in mcn's beause they all started leaking and **** me to tears in the end!! i was using disposables at night with her all along and doing the same with ds. I just found mn's dont have the absorbencey for o/night. ive tried 4 different brands, strip washed ect. all the same issues.

I am thinking of using terry toweling over winter as they dry quick smart! and are a hell of alot cheaper. They are no good for tiny newborns but i used them on my dd from about 3mths old.
    Last edited by Call me Zebra; 02-03-2013 at 07:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Need~More~Coffee~Please* View Post
    I believe the real nappies brand are only a cotton pre fold ? They won't be near as absorbant as bamboo .

Also I think u would be better of sucking your hubby in with the one size pockets nappies so much easier to use than pre folds ! Once bub gets a wiggle on (at a few months old) it can become a pain in the butt getting the two layers to sit nicely (as in the nappy then cover )

My df is all for cloth and prefers it to sposies but doesn't like pre folds or fitteds with covers ...I mean sure he can do it but he prefers not to .

I seriously don't understand all the hype people put into 'dad friendly' nappies as if a male can't figure out how to place a nappy on baby the same as we would ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub
    My babies tend to come easily and be tiny, and whilst I have collected a good stash of OSFM nappies (Baby Beehinds, Tuttis and a range of other brands) none of those manufacturers claim that they will fit a baby as small as mine tend to be. I have certainly tried them snapped to the smallest size and the Baby Beehinds in particular are bulky (they all are really). My DS was in 00000s for some time, and 000s 'til about 9-10 months.

So I did some research for a system that wouldn't be a huge outlay to get me through the first 4- 6 months or so, without being as expensive as sized nappies. I happened upon Real Nappies and whilst they are cotton, the people who actually use them say they are fantastic and don't leak beyond the odd time (which I found happened with sposies too). I also liked the simplicity of the design. I may pick up a few bamboo Prefolds too and make a true comparison.

Of the OSFM brands I've tried, my favourite (because of their less bulky fit) is Tuttis, but the insert and snap set up is a more complicated arrangement. When DH and I both are sleep deprived I figure it will be easier to use simple Velcro than count snaps in the middle of the night. With RNs, you can fold the prefold into thirds into the cover under the end bits, more easily than setting up a pocket nappy, and i'd set it up and have it ready for change time. Not sure if this will fit NB or if I'll need to fold with a Snappi at first, but that's fine.

For my eldest I used flannelette squares many years ago and used a Chinese fold that was complicated Origami, so will be much easier! . Of course Dads can figure these things out as well as we can, but my DH would prefer sposies so if I keep it simple it's more likely he'll embrace it.
    Last edited by jellybeanicecream; 02-03-2013 at 08:42.