+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Staying at home is def not for me

It has been such an eye opener for me the past few weeks. I have been home with my nearly 5yr old and nearly 2yr old boys for 2 weeks and am feeling so good about being back at work today. Just to have some space, get my sanity back. Get my brain stimulated. I have realised more than ever that being a SAHM is not for me and I even more so believe that it isn't necessarily beneficial for the children either. There really is a lack of respect and appreciation on both sides when the kids are with you 24/7. It's not quality of time that counts necessarily, it's good quality time and we certainly have good quality the time we do spend with them. Being a working mum is good for me and them, I am more convinced of that than ever before. Balance is a good option which works for all of us.

Just thought I would share

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm happy that you are enjoying going back to work and that you working is the best situation for your family but I do believe that you saying that a SAHP is not beneficial for all children is off key.

Did you mean all ages or just the ages of your children?

My 7mth old baby is not going to be happy going to d/c next week and neither am I. But my 2.5yo is happy going 3 days a week but I would be reluctant to add to those days till school aged.

Yes my 7mth old takes me for granted but I am food/drink/comfort/entertainment/ cuddles to her. And I'm ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    It has been such an eye opener for me the past few weeks. I have been home with my nearly 5yr old and nearly 2yr old boys for 2 weeks and am feeling so good about being back at work today. Just to have some space, get my sanity back. Get my brain stimulated. I have realised more than ever that being a SAHM is not for me and I even more so believe that it isn't necessarily beneficial for the children either. There really is a lack of respect and appreciation on both sides when the kids are with you 24/7. It's not quality of time that counts necessarily, it's good quality time and we certainly have good quality the time we do spend with them. Being a working mum is good for me and them, I am more convinced of that than ever before. Balance is a good option which works for all of us.

Just thought I would share

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (08-01-2013),SoThisIsLove  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm having to go back to work full time and it's reassuring to read positive stories about working mums. It breaks my heart to think of DD being in childcare from 8:30am to 5:45pm (assuming I get the job I've had an interview for) and DS being in after school care, but I think they will both be ok and there are benefits. Plus the benefit of being more financially stable far outweigh the negatives for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm returning three days a week in March and although I'm dreading putting DS into daycare those days I know its for the best.

And in our case I believe it will overall be more beneficial for my DS than being with me 24/7. This is specific to US though.

If for some reason DS can't handle daycare (or I can't) then I will quit. Which would suck for me, but obviously DS comes first.

But being a SAHM isn't for me.
    Last edited by kw123; 08-01-2013 at 13:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am very much like you, OP. Even when my DS was a tiny baby I did dabble in some work from home. I just finished holidays as well and in the end I actually had a lot of fun, but I think if it were forever I'd feel very hmm... bored and unfulfilled. I was bored out of my mind at home 24/7 with my baby/toddler DS.

Everyone is different though, and some thrive being stay at home parents

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am the same, I couldn't be a SAHM for anything. Apart from the fact that I am useless at housework, I can usually only manage about an hour a day of enthusiasm for dolls/games/art & craft. After that it all goes downhill and DD and I end up bickering like two siblings

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree about working, but would just like half and half... Half the day at work, half home with DS. In a perfect world! Staying at home full-time is not for me at all, but I miss DS too much working full-time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    I agree about working, but would just like half and half... Half the day at work, half home with DS. In a perfect world! Staying at home full-time is not for me at all, but I miss DS too much working full-time!
    Ditto. I would love a balance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's an individual thing. I thought that I would return to work when dd1 was 6 months old. She is now almost 2.5yrs and I have a 7 month old and couldn't imagine putting them in daycare and go to work. Don't get me wrong sometimes I long for a tea break or a sick day but ultimately for us being a sahm for the time being is what DH and I think is the best for our girls. I am far from bored!! I have plenty of play dates (coffee for me) with new and old friends, plus outings to beach and parks. Not to mention just normal home cleaning etc.. Always something to do!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winterbaby For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (08-01-2013),SoThisIsLove  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I'm happy that you are enjoying going back to work and that you working is the best situation for your family but I do believe that you saying that a SAHP is not beneficial for all children is off key.

Did you mean all ages or just the ages of your children?

My 7mth old baby is not going to be happy going to d/c next week and neither am I. But my 2.5yo is happy going 3 days a week but I would be reluctant to add to those days till school aged.

Yes my 7mth old takes me for granted but I am food/drink/comfort/entertainment/ cuddles to her. And I'm ok with that.
    Yes I was refering to my children's ages. I was at home for 12mths after having ds2 which I feel was beneficial and important at that age.