+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Would you take a 2 week old to the beach in 43 degrees?

If it is actually 43 at the beach then I would call the parents negligent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Regarding the sunscreen comments, you can take a baby to the beach without exposing them to the sun. There might be a shady spot to sit in and then you only go in the sun either early or late in the day.

As babies get a bit older, you can get a full sunsuit as well (long legs and arms and hat) so nothing other than hands and feet is exposed anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't. I remember nearly passing out at the beach when I was 12 weeks pregnant with dd on a 40deg day and I spent the whole time drinking water in the shade, wouldn't want to expose a tiny bubs the same way..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely not.
    I am in Sydney atm and I am near the coast, it is just as hot at the beach (42ish) and there is no breeze. If it is like this where they are then I agree with PP it is negligent. How disgraceful. There are warnings around everywhere, even on the roads that people should be avoiding going outside where possible, especially the very young and very old.

Re sunscreen, YES you can use sunscreen on any age baby. The recommendation to use sunscreen on 6months+ has been revised and was a few years ago, it's just that the new info has not been getting around. At that young age of 2 weeks it is best not to have baby in the sun at all, but if they DO have to be in the sun, little babies should be covered by clothing/long sleeves and hats, then any small exposed areas such as hands face and feet can have sunscreen applied to them.
    When I looked up this info a few years ago there had been research done that showed no ill effects on babies from wearing sunscreen, and of course the main thing is that they are being protected from skin damage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Are they in the shade?

Beaches IME are usually windier and cooler than being more inland, and if you're in a house like mine which never gets a breeze, the beach might be a good option if you can provide shade and don't have aircon at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    Depends on the beach...and the breeze and the availability of shade etc

Sometimes, sitting under a big tree at the beach with a nice breeze is lovely.

Unless the parents have given you a reason to question their judgement...then I would be happy. People do lots of things I would not nd I am sure i do things that others would not...but, if they are normally good parents...then I would give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they have the same level of intelligence as you do!
    Totally agree.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way! it's is hot as hell in Sydney today, there is no wind at all!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wouldn't and to think about it. I wouldn't even with DD now. It's too hot in my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not at all.

Thanks
    Reviews

No way!! I wouldn't even take DD!!