+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Hell no. Newborns can't regulate their own body heat properly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Would you take a 2 week old to the beach in 43 degrees?

No way in hell. Especially in the heat of the day. I wouldn't risk baby getting heatstroke they are so tiny and precious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    Depends on the beach...and the breeze and the availability of shade etc

Sometimes, sitting under a big tree at the beach with a nice breeze is lovely.

Unless the parents have given you a reason to question their judgement...then I would be happy. People do lots of things I would not nd I am sure i do things that others would not...but, if they are normally good parents...then I would give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they have the same level of intelligence as you do!
    This is how I feel. If they are by the side of the beach, in full shade, hopefully there's a bit if breeze, it's possibly ok. Particularly if no aircon at home. It totally depends on the circumstances of where they are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Would you take a 2 week old to the beach in 43 degrees?

The baby's only 2 weeks old. She's probably not thinking straight haha. Or maybe they're in the whole "our lives won't change because of this baby, we can still do the same stuff" delusional stage some people go through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Erh no way in hell
    Ahhh, this for me too , i've been turning down offers to go to the beach and the river for the last two weeks cos as soon as it above 30ish i think its too hot to be outside in the sun regardless of hats and such.
    Babies get heat stress so quickly , you'll have plenty of oppurtunities to go to the beach when bub is much older, the beach isn't gonna up and run away before then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It really depends on your lifestyle. We're coastal. We live 3 streets from the Indian Ocean. On 40 plus days it can be 5 degrees cooler at the beach. I couldn't imagine going to the beach at midday or early afternoon but in the mornings it's such a part of our routine. The kids are happier and sleep better after watching water for a while.

It might not be something everyone is comfortable doing but without knowing all the circumstances I still couldn't say what they did was wrong.

ETA if I'd a choice between the beach with 2 kids and a baby and a shopping centre I'd take the beach 9 times out of 10. My kids have massive problems with shopping centres and hate the fluoro lighting everywhere. Puts them in really bad moods. So each to their own.
    Last edited by Sonja; 08-01-2013 at 15:57.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Possibly, from the information you have I don't think you know enough to judge. Which beach (most are significantly cooler than inland), what time, their setup etc.

"At the beach" can involve a lot of things for me, like lunch in an air conditioned surf club.

Unless they have some sort of impairment, I'm pretty sure they are not going to endanger their child.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

HowCrazyCool  (08-01-2013),Sonja  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    It really depends on your lifestyle. We're coastal. We live 3 streets from the Indian Ocean. On 40 plus days it can be 5 degrees cooler at the beach. I couldn't imagine going to the beach at midday or early afternoon but in the mornings it's such a part of our routine. The kids are happier and sleep better after watching water for a while.

It might not be something everyone is comfortable doing but without knowing all the circumstances I still couldn't say what they did was wrong.

ETA if I'd a choice between the beach with 2 kids and a baby and a shopping centre I'd take the beach 9 times out of 10. My kids have massive problems with shopping centres and hate the fluoro lighting everywhere. Puts them in really bad moods. So each to their own.
    Can I move in with you? lol It sounds so nice, I'd love to live so close to the beach!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    (most are significantly cooler than inland)
    I must admit, I grew up with no air conditioning and the beach was often our go-to place to cool down. If they have no air cond, I wouldn't think it is completely ridiculous... so long as the baby isn't going to be exposed to the sun, which you don't need to be.

Thanks
    Reviews

I personally wouldn't. I hate it being that hot without a baby attached to me. Maybe i would in the later evening once the suns going down?