+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Would you take a 2 week old to the beach in 43 degrees?

We don't have air con, I find it scary that everyone seems to have it now

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

casio1  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chew the mintie, my thoughts too, it's not that many years back that no one really had aircon at home. I still remember primary school and the three wall mounted fans and the relief when one finally swung around to blow on you for a few seconds, these days all schools seem to have air con fitted.

While I would not go down to the beach in that heat generally (I hibernate in the dark in front of a fan when it's hot) and thus would not take a baby down myself, I am sure there are a fair few bubbas who live in non-aircon houses and in places in Australia where it's +40 deg c most days of summer (not just a few days here and there) where sitting under a big shady tree/pagoda at the beach in deep shade might be more comfortable than being in a hot, stuffy house and is really a better option.

I'd err on the side of trusting the parents are being careful to look for signs of heatstroke. If it really worries you OP, I'd say something like "I don't mean to interfere at all but isn't it a bit hot to take a newborn to the beach, I was worried for its sake" and they might be able to put your mind at ease that actually they were in the surf club or under a cool breezy super-shady tree the whole time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    We don't have air con, I find it scary that everyone seems to have it now
    We don't have aircon. Although I wish we did. We've just got electric fans we pug in and move from room to room. Keep the blinds down and the doors shut and ride it out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I wouldn't. I have really sensitive skin and would fry in an instant, sunscreen, hats or not and Id be worried the baby would to.

And I think the sand and sweat would be uncomfortable. Tonight, after about 4 or 5pm we are going to the local pool to swim. They are open until 7.30pm and I relax in the water before bed and there's no sun on the pool by then. So Id probably go to a local pool over a beach anyway (I prefer pools) but not in the middle of the day. I was out before with my 8 year old and I have the most shocking headache. I couldnt imagine sitting on a hot beach, especially if there's no shade.

Not for me. At all.
    Last edited by Hopefully Waiting; 09-01-2013 at 13:19.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't take a baby out in that heat.