+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    A size estimation is just that - an estimation. Start a thread about the estimated size of the baby, and the ACTUAL size of the baby, and you'll see that many estimations are way off. To induce and bring on the risks associated with a premature baby (even if only slightly so) due to a guess, is, IMO, a bad idea... but this baby is yours, you are the one who is going to have to go through it, so do what you feel is right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Is there something specific in your history or body that would make a larger baby a problem?

I had my first at 40+11 and he was 4kg. It was a post-dates only induction and it was a long labour, painful cx due to drip, had epidural, then by the time I was fully dilated, I pushed for a couple of hours but was too tired and immobile to get him out, so had vacuum.

I had my second at 40+8 spontaneous labour at home. He was 4.8kg with a 37.5cm head. I only had 3 hours of active labour, and pushed for 6 minutes and he was out in two big pushes. I did have a second degree tear but it healed well without stitches.

There seems to be a lot of fear around big babies, but that wasn't my experience.

Good luck with your hospital appointment. It's horrible when they put pressure on you. I had that pressure to be induced with my first, and I really regret it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Induction due to baby size

My 1st bub was born at 41 weeks and was 4.07kg. I had a lot of trouble birthing her. Ended up with a ventouse delivery and had a severe shoulder dystocia which meant she was stuck and ended up with nerve damage and couldn't move one of her arms. Without intervention I'm sure things would have ended very badly for both of us.
    Both subsequent births I've had late growth scans to check size and had early inductions which I preferred rather than a csection. If either of my babies had been over 4kgs I would have chosen a csection rather than risk a repeat of my first birth.
    My 2nd was a dream birth, but she was just over 3kgs, my 3rd was horrific, but he was almost 4kgs. I birth smaller babies much more easily.
    I'd much rather an induction than a csection, so would go early if I was in your situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karen2010 View Post
    Hi there
    So my worry is, do I wait and see when I go naturally...surely my body wouldn't produce a baby at a size I couldn't birth? OR do I have a sweep followed by an induction at 38 weeks if it doesn't work to avoid a ceasar?

Any advice or suggestion from those that have been there would be great.

You'd think so! At my last ob appointment the day before my induction (blood pressure) he told me I was having a 'clinically large' baby. Went in at midnight (my due date yay!), had the gel, waters broken at 7, managed to dilate to 10cm's in 6 hours and he never made it into the birth canal! He was just too big. 9 pounds 14 ounces later and he was delivered via emergency c-section after his heart rate started dropping rapidly.

So imo, if you really want to (try) and avoid a ceaser, I'd get the sweep/induction.
    Last edited by callmedragon22; 08-01-2013 at 18:10.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No way would I risk an induction for a 'possibly' biggish bub. With my first bub I was told all the way through I was measuring large for dates, went for the size scan etc etc and in the end I went with an induction for a few reasons (including blood presssure)... My induction lead to the cascade of intervention and after 28hrs of labor I had an emergency cesarean... It was horrible! I was not supported through my labor, I was never encouraged to stay active and move around and when it came time to push I was on my back in bed with an epi and poor DS had no chance of being born naturally....

Second time around I was told all the same BS by the docs and middys, however they also threw in that it was obvious my pelvis was inadequate as I couldn't birth naturally last time and my babies are just too big... What a load of crap! I birthed my daughter naturally into my arms after a straight forward spontaneous labor. She was 9lb8 and had a head circ of 36cms, not huge, but a decent size... I was active through labor though and birthed in a kneeling/squatting position which gave bub heaps of room to move through the birth canal...

Please look into the cascade of intervention further before you make your decision. I wish you all the best for the safe arrivial of your bub

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    I'd much rather an induction than a csection, so would go early if I was in your situation.
    The problem is that induction has a very strong risk of ending in emergency c-sect.

Personally I'd avoid inductions like the plague. Having experienced an induced birth and a spontaneous, intervention free birth I'd happily birth every day (just don't ask me to do pregnancy, blegh!)

With my 2 pregnancies, a total of 5 USs and various doctor, ob and midwife appointments I only ever had one mw give me an estimated size. It was with DD and she said "baby is most likely over 4 kg, how do you feel about that?" I said I was fine, DS was 4.51 at birth, I have no reason to doubt my body's ability to birth. Turns out DD was 3.57 at birth.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    The problem is that induction has a very strong risk of ending in emergency c-sect.
    True- I was answering purely based on my experience and preferences. I've had 3 inductions, so I don't have experience of spontaneous labour, but I so desperately wanted to avoid a csection that an early induction was much more preferable to me personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was induced at 38+3 because my bub was small (low fluid levels, reduced movement) she was 2.99 born, which was quite small considering my DS was 4.37 born!

My induction was great though, and much less intervention than my DS's birth.

However, in your situation, i'd probably hold off, purely because there doesnt seem to be any issue with his health if he stays in. Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for all your advice. Had appt today and voiced all my concerns. Have decided to leave me for now and review again at 39 weeks which I'm happy with

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am currently only 23 weeks but my baby is measuring at between 25-26 weeks. The doctors are talking about doing an ultrasound at 35 weeks and looking at inducing early. My first son was 4.3kg, I went into spontanious labour but my body didn't dilate passed 5cm on its own and ended up being induced and he was delievered with an epidural and forcepts. However he was in destressed for quite a few hours and wasn't breathing when he was born and had to go into special care. I was very close to having a c-section according to the doctors and I took a very long time to heal. much above average. If the doctors don't believe my body can do it again...I am going to believe them!! They, in the end are the experts, not me! the most important thing is to get my little man into the world safely!