+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Induction due to baby size

Hi there
    I'm 36 weeks pregnany with #2, due 3rd Feb
    #1 was born naturally at 41 weeks weighing 4kg.
    #2 has been measuring ahead on growth scans (fundal height is normal) for the past 6 weeks. Last weeks scan showed over 100th percentile for head, abdo and bp measurements and say I'm measuring 40 weeks already with estimated 3.7kg baby, normal amount of fluid and everything looking good.
    I'm going through a public hospital.
    Midwife said 'if this baby isnt out by 17th Jan, then I suggest you get a 'sweep' as if it continues with this growth it'll be 4.5kg by full term and may have trouble getting out.
    I dont have GD, and really want to avoid having a ceasar.

So my worry is, do I wait and see when I go naturally...surely my body wouldn't produce a baby at a size I couldn't birth? OR do I have a sweep followed by an induction at 38 weeks if it doesn't work to avoid a ceasar?
    Selfishly i'm 'over' being pregnant in this heat so wouldn't mind it coming out, but I know either way waiting a few extra weeks wont hurt me.

I have another midwife appt and scan on Friday and I'm guessing they'll be asking what I've decided to do....and I don't know.

Any advice or suggestion from those that have been there would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews

How did you birth your 1st at 4kg?

Thanks
    Reviews
    with help.....epidural and forceps

Thanks
    Reviews

I think if you go in there freaking out thinking that you can't do it, you won't.

Giving birth early because 'the baby is big' is crap. I'm sorry but you really have no way of telling how big the baby is.

My son was 4.7 kilos. It was hard to get him out (38 cm head) but I did it because I stayed relaxed and focused on what I had to do. People have birthed bigger bubs then me too.

You just need to relax, walk around and stay focused.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shhhsleeping For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (08-01-2013),PR2bMum  (08-01-2013),SassyMummy  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a induction for bub 2# for the same reason, (at 38wks).
    I based my decision on my first labour, my bub was much smaller, but I had a terribly difficult labour. So I thought I won't risk it with a big one

Just go with your gut feeling! And of course ask all the questions you need to feel comfortable at your next appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would trust your body. These estimations can be way off anyway. 4.5kg is not a ridiculously big size anyway. I wouldn't even try a sweep at 38 weeks.

I know someone who was induced 10 days early due to having a 10lb baby - he was 6lbs at birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being induced you will more likely need help again, epidural because the drugs can make the contractions feel more intense quicker, higher risk of c/s, no matter the size of the baby it never garuantees you won't need one and the baby not being ready.
    Did you have a bad experience with forceps?
    In my opinion, this is your 2nd baby and your body has been through this before, everything has been stretched and birthing another big baby if you have done it before will mean you can do it again. At least you know your body is capable. If it were me, I'd avoid induction like the plague, your body can and has done labour naturally, the baby being 4kg or 4.5 will make no difference.
    I don't think you *need* to be induced and the midwife is leading you down a path of many unecessary interventions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Your due date is my dd's birthday
    She is 2 this year.

I was pretty much measuring just the same as you!
    I was induced at 40 weeks (although not due to size)
    I had some medical issues that ended it all in C-section.

So at 40w 2d I have birth and dd weighed in at 4.6 kgs.
    I don't believe her weight made labour any harder (made it to 10cm)
    They say bigger babies came come out faster due to them staying in the right position, not turning as much during labour etc.
    my sister have birth to a 2.4kg baby and they used Vaccume and forceps.
    A friend had a 4.9kg baby and she was out within 2 pushes.

I don't think the babies weight makes a huge difference in how easy they are to come out, a lot of factors play in how easily a baby can come out, I was always told weight had nothing to do with it.

If it was me I would leave it
    You could ask to be induced on your due date, but I wouldn't induce early for babies size, but that's just me.
    You need to do what you feel most comfortable with.

Good luck

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not even the royal australian and new zealand collage of gynecologists and obstetrics policies say this is a good enough reason for induction.

Read about active birth, avoid intervention and don't believe that just because they say bub will be big that bub will be big. My first was 8lb3oz my second was 9lb6oz I was told by 2 midwives and by a late scan that my third would be bigger than my second and she was my smallest 7lb5oz and baked until 41+5 with a perfect placenta.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Bollocks! Mw and ob can only guesstimate bubs size. Worry bout size at crowning.

Ive had an induced birth and narrowly missed a cs and I had a big bubba too. It was only cos I had a great ob there that I avoided one.