+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default real estate agent question

hi everyone, hope you all had a wonderful christmas and hope this new year is great for you all.

okay so i have a question about what to do about my real estate agents, i have been renting an old house for 12mths now, i pay $350 a week so its not exact cheap, first of all they havnt offered me anothe lease people are telling me to leave it so im not sure what to do,
    also i have leaking taps that i have been reporting for at least 6mths and still notin has been done, that last time i herd from them was the 28/11 and they said they would ring me back and of course never have, what can i do about this? as my usage for my water bill keeps going up as well.

my oven is also not working propley the 2 front burners have stopped working and i reported this in october last year verbal and a letter

im getting sick of paying all this rent and nothing is being done what can i do about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I would send a final letter ( also email) and one last phone call saying how long you have been requesting these repairs and if they are not seen to within 7 days you will have to lodge an order with the tenancy tribunal to have them fixed and ask for compensation , which you can do ( in nsw it's $20 still I think!) and the tribunal will make an order for them to have it fixed

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    If they haven't offered you another lease, it's not always a bad sign. If they don't give you notice to vacate which is usually 60 days, your lease will go periodic.

I would put all the issues in writing/email and send it to the real estate. State you want the issues rectified within a reason amount of time (say, 7 days), if that fails you can take it further. In QLD you can download a remedy to breach- form 11 (i think) from the RTA and issue that to the real estate. If that fails the next step in generally mediation.

I know how it feels to pay excessive rent for a run down hovel with an owner who refuses to fix anything. I don't even have working smoke alarms- a legal requirement!! It's that just one issue amongst many. I'm hoping to move when my lease is up despite how difficult acquiring another property can be.

Would it be an option for you to move? Are there other suitable/ more reasonably priced properties within your area?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hiya OP I'm a property manager and I can help ya with your questions.

1. If you haven't been offered a lease you will fall into a periodical lease when your current lease expires meaning once its expired you can give 21 days notice to vacate at any point In time but the owners can also issue you with a 60 days notice to vacate at any point in time also. With periodical, all your agreements in your last lease sill stand and there for you are still required to maintain and pay rent to the property, you will need to check your lease particulars as some real estates state that if the lease falls into a periodical you need to pay a higher rental amount ( not all by some real estates do this)

2.the leaking tap, here in WA the rules have changed making it the owners responsibility to replace the washers etc it used to be tenants responsibility and I'm not sure o the legalities to all states however give your local real estate ombudsman a call over here it is called REIWA or dept of commerce.

3. The oven do you have proof of reporting t? Emails? You do have he option to breach your owner for not maintaining the oven this is where your residential ombudsman will come in handy they can direct ou to the free downloadable forms you can use to breach your owner (I had to do this once in my own rental)

4. Whatever you do, do not stop paying your rent I k ow you feel it's a rip but if ou do move then it will work against you in finding another rental.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoalready View Post
    Hiya OP I'm a property manager and I can help ya with your questions.

1. If you haven't been offered a lease you will fall into a periodical lease when your current lease expires meaning once its expired you can give 21 days notice to vacate at any point In time but the owners can also issue you with a 60 days notice to vacate at any point in time also. With periodical, all your agreements in your last lease sill stand and there for you are still required to maintain and pay rent to the property, you will need to check your lease particulars as some real estates state that if the lease falls into a periodical you need to pay a higher rental amount ( not all by some real estates do this)

2.the leaking tap, here in WA the rules have changed making it the owners responsibility to replace the washers etc it used to be tenants responsibility and I'm not sure o the legalities to all states however give your local real estate ombudsman a call over here it is called REIWA or dept of commerce.

3. The oven do you have proof of reporting t? Emails? You do have he option to breach your owner for not maintaining the oven this is where your residential ombudsman will come in handy they can direct ou to the free downloadable forms you can use to breach your owner (I had to do this once in my own rental)

4. Whatever you do, do not stop paying your rent I k ow you feel it's a rip but if ou do move then it will work against you in finding another rental.
    I think the OP is in NSW, the notice period for the tenant may be different to WA. I work in real estate too, and here in VIC tenants have to give 28 days notice with periodical leases.

Thanks
    Reviews

In NSW after lease expires tenants only need to give 21 days but landlords now have to give 90 days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    In NSW after lease expires tenants only need to give 21 days but landlords now have to give 90 days
    Yep.... I had to wait 99 days to move into my own (family) property.

OP can you change the washers yourself just to stop the water leakage straight away? I agree send a final, firm letter and speak to the agents one last time and ask for reduced rent until its fixed (that should get them moving!)
    Last edited by Ellewood; 10-01-2013 at 17:48.