+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 34weeks pregnant and baby's kidney dilation getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    good luck with your appointment!

I forgot to say Finn come with us back to the ward and had no immediate issues. At 48hrs he was admitted to NICU for dehydration/weight loss, jaundice and an infection even though he was on anti's from birth. he was put on iv fluid/antis as well as his normal antis (and had phototherpy).

he was in there for about a week I think? They kept him a little longer over a weekend as he had his U/S and dye test on teh Monday nd no point discharging him.

I live 2hrs from Melbourne and they discharged me to my sister place in Melbourne under hospital in the home until his care was taken over by the Childrens on the Friday.

After our appointment on the Friday the childrens discharged us and he is now treated as an outpatient.

All up Ithink it was about 2 and half weeks until we got to come home.

I was prepared for that before the birth so it wasn't quite a shock it could have been.

Maybe just prepare that worst case scenario bubs may spend some time in hospy. It was tough but at the same time reassuring that they were getting to the bottom of things rather then sending me home with no clear answers.
    Thank you yeh absolutely we have prepared ourselves for possibly bubs needing to be in for a while but as I said will hopefully find out some more info with my OB tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: 34weeks pregnant and baby's kidney dilation getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by SL1009 View Post
    Thanks mumma yeh it def sounds like we're in similar situations...how far along are you? And do you know if you're having a boy or girl? We don't know what we are having but read that this problem is far more apparent in boys
    My son is now 2.5 yr..not expecting atm. i just meant that it sounds like they may have the same condition and your little one sounds just like mine was sorry for any confusion.. Thought it good to reply to this thread as when I was at your stage I was really worried too and just wanted to let you know of one with a good outcome will be keeping my fingers x for your bub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mummakat View Post
    My son is now 2.5 yr..not expecting atm. i just meant that it sounds like they may have the same condition and your little one sounds just like mine was sorry for any confusion.. Thought it good to reply to this thread as when I was at your stage I was really worried too and just wanted to let you know of one with a good outcome will be keeping my fingers x for your bub
    Sorry mumma and thanks again I'm easily confuse these days haha!

Thanks
    Reviews

I feel much better; OB says nothing too concerning will just need testing after birth but certainly nothing serious - phew!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: 34weeks pregnant and baby's kidney dilation getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by SL1009 View Post
    I feel much better; OB says nothing too concerning will just need testing after birth but certainly nothing serious - phew!
    So good to hear your ob has said this wishing you all the best for the birth and hope it ends up either rectifying itself after birth or something manageable. How long till you have bubs now? Let us know how it goes and what happens with the tests ok

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks mumma yes I will do...only 6 weeks to go so excited to meet our first little prince or princess - very long awaited

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. We had a similar problem with our DD. Scan at 20 weeks picked up slight dilation, which got worse at each subsequent scan. Her twin brother had no issues even though its often genetic. About day 3 after birth she had another scan which gave them a clearer picture of the problem then followed up with dye test and nuclear testing to test kidney function. Diagnosed with bilateral duplex kidneys with urinary reflux - basically double kidneys on each side with ureters coming out of each part of kidney and refluxing. Also born with urethrarcele (sp?), basically balloon on the end of her urethar causing issues with weeing. She was very prone to UTIs and on preventative antibiotics from birth. Had surgery at 4 weeks to deal with "balloon" issue. Urologist advised us that wouldn't have been as big of issue if she was a boy - they are not as prone to UTIs. Reduced antibiotics at about 18mths when it became easier to spot a UTI. Had about 20 UTIs (that we were aware of). At 4.5 yrs had a major uti and urologist decided she was old enough and strong enough to have major surgery to resete the uretars and prevent urinary reflux. Was major surgery and she took about two weeks to recover, blood in urine and bladder spasming....v difficult for a 4 yr old. But right as rain since then (touch wood). Only one UTI in last 3 yrs. Dr expects her to be fine now.

Prior to surgery she was a happy healthy little girl, only issues when she got a UTI and generally recovered from these after a day or so on antibiotics. She toilet trained easily and early, particularly at night. In fact one of the signs of a UTI for us was if she wet the bet at night.

Good luck with your baby - we found it easier to take it one step/test at a time. It was difficult for the doctors to identify the exact problem and determine whats causing it until birth. A good paedeatric urologist should be able to answer all your questions.

Thanks
    Reviews

Period like pain all day yesterday and now today too - little bubs must be on the growth spurt again and stretching out mummy!!

Random question do any of you wake up in the night with numb fingers / pins and needles in your fingers - I'm finding that if my fingers are curled up or under my pillow or my face or something then I will wake up and they'll be numb! Forgot to ask OB about it yesterday, weird!

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry I posted this one on the wrong thread!!