+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 34weeks pregnant and baby's kidney dilation getting worse

Hi all I guess I'm looking for some support from other women who maybe going through the same thing as me.
    I'm 34 weeks along today (yay). We had a scan last week which showed that all is well with the left kidney of bubs (unknown if boy or girl). The right kidney however has been monitored on every scan since 20 weeks - start off slightly bigger but now it's sitting at 27mm compared to the normal left one at around 8-9mm. It was the first time that someone had told us that the baby would definitely need it looked at after birth; up until then we have been told that bubs may grow out of it. Still apparently nothing to lose sleep over though! Have our next OB appt tomorrow so keen to find out what the steps will be. Will I be induced early? Will baby need to be on antibiotics or need an operation straight away? Questions questions...!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I don't know a lot about this but my brother had a similar thing, I was only young so don't remember but mum has told me about it. She said she had a lot of ultrasounds and they basically just monitored it to see what they were dealing with when he was born. As far as I know he was born naturally but they had to do tests and things afterwards (they still do them every so often and he is 18 now) He had adult sized kidneys by the time he was 3 and has had several trips to the children's hospital for various tests and monitoring but has lived a happy normal life. Sorry I'm really not much help as it wasn't my baby but I will ask mum more about it when I see her.

Thanks
    Reviews

Also my brother has never had an operation for his but they did say that he may need one later in life. If it's only one kidney I'm pretty certain people can live off one but because my brothers is both he would need a donor. Pretty sure they told my mum not to worry and didn't seem to fussed but it's your instinct to worry about your baby!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thanks vegan mum it is hard not to worry especially as this is our first bubs and an IVF baby so just want everything to be smooth sailing. I look forward to hearing what our OB will say tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews

One of the mums in my DIG had this issue with her son. I'll get her to come and reply.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Hey there it is me who had the same thing with my now 8wk old son.

I will reply when I'm on my pc later but as scary as it is it is manageable.

If you click on my profile I had a journal that explains what happened with Finn once he was born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It's in the new parent diary section I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there

First off congratulations on your pregnancy - not long to go now!! How exciting.

So it sounds like your journey has been similar to mine - we were told the same thing as you were. 20wk scan and then a follow up scan at 34wks. I also had further scans at 36wks and 38wks. All scans showed his kidney and bladder were enlarged/dialated.

Noone really explained much and I was told I would probably be induced, although in the end they let me go to 40wks at which point I was induced because of low fluid (this was because of his kidney retaining fluid).

Prior to his birth we met with the NICU paed at the hospy he was being born with. He said that basically Finn had enlarged kidneys (right worse then left), enlarged ureters and enlarged bladders. He said there were normally 2 possible reasons for this.
    1. Kidney reflux (which is what he has and here is a good link about it - http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...ey_reflux?open)
    2. Actual problem with his kidneys (unlikely in his case as he also had the bladder and ureter issues).
    With the kidney reflux he said 3 main causes
    1. There are no valves between the bladder and ureter
    2. Obstruction in the utereter
    3. Obstruction in the bladder
    With kidney relfux whatever the cause during bub time inutero the wee flushing up into the kidneys caused them to grow to large (dialated). The longer the baby stays inside the more likely it is that he kidneys will continue to be dialated. It is generally believed that the more dialated the kidney is the less well it functions. Once baby is born the kidney generally does not continue to dialate. It should stay the same size it was at birth and any continued reflux generally does not damange the kidney any further. For this reason induction is sometimes discussed/considered.

How well the kidney works is what they are really interested in rather then the size (as it won't generally get worse in terms of size once born). The kidneys will naturally flush themselves and improvce function once they have been used for a few day/week and are passing actual wee. (this is why for some babies no real intervention is needed and the dialation amounts to no ongoing medical conditions).

So when bub is born they want to work out
    1. why the dilation - how is the plumbing and kidneys etc.
    2. how well are the kidneys working/what condition are they in
    to be continued...

Thanks
    Reviews
    as explained in the link - they find out this info by doing the following test
    1. Ultrasound - same as what you have already had but they want to bascially check what they saw inside is the same outside. (we had this done around day 7 but it normally happens day 3 or 4)
    2. Dye test (MSU)- they inject dye up bub wee hole and watch is flush out - it tells them what is happening plumbing wise.
    3. MAG3 test - they inject baby with a radioactive dye and take picture of his kidneys/bladder for 45min. This tells them how well each kidney is working.
    The u/s and dye test where done at hte mercy where Finn was born. From this they told me he had grade 5 reflux (worst one) and he was being handed over to the childrens.

The childrens then saw him the following week and did the MAG3 test.

We also had to have spinal xray and u/s to rule out any spinal/nerve damage.

The childrens also did an operation (circumcision and put a camera up there to see what was going on). That was at around 5wks of age. REsults showed he had no valves between his bladder and ureter.

so yeh basically with Finn he has severe grade five reflux which made his kidney form abnormally (large). Now he is born the aim to to preserve the kidney functino he has so he can have a normal life. They are not trying to stop the reflux which I found odd - but the reflux itself once he is born doesn't actually damage the kidneys anymore. So they CAN put valves in but it won't make much difference and its a long operation so tehy won't bother unless he gets kidney infections.

To preserve the kidney function he has they have had him on antiibitocis since birth. This is hopefully to prevent UTIs which can damage kidneys. They also take bloods weekly to check his kidney function (creatinen) and also his electrolytes. As his kidneys try to improve they flush lots of wee/waste - this can make him dehyrdrated and put his elctrlotyes out of whack. This can also make it hard for him to gain weight.

Depending on the results of his bloods we adjust his salt and bicarb. So far he has to have salt added to his milk three times a day. but his bicarb has been stable.

I also have had to feed him ebm to measure his fluid intake as he wasn't gaining weight. (he wasn't on salt at this time). Now we doing a combination of bf and ebm with formula top up cos my supply isnt' great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    umm what else.. oh yeh creatinin.. I have bene told the measure on a healthy child is 30. At birth Finn was around 120, last blood test showed it was 45approx. I was told at 12mths if creatinin is under 100 the outcomes are pretty good for a normal healthy life with no need to a transplant or major health issues.

He will have ongoing checkup and us and wil have to lead a healthy life but should in theory be ok

im not sure what else you want to know - but please ask away any questions and im happy to answer.

I saw you are in Mel , where are you having bubs?