+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Share House/Student House

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    But realistically, that 'crying a lot' stage doesn't last all that long. By 3 months both my kids cried very little. If a childless person has willingly gone into it knowing that there's a possibility a baby will cry, surely they will be more tolerant of it. It's a bit different to a childless person being in a cafe next to a crying baby and being bothered by it.
    Ok. Fair enough.

To the OP. Your plan to combine uni plus share house plus baby seems just a bit too hectic.

My suggestion is that you stay at your dads for the first few months and do an online subject in your course.

Then next year move into the share house.

You are expecting too much of yourself post bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Goodness, everyone is making out like living with a newborn is horrendous!! How do you think new parents cope? They've never lived with a baby before! Do you recall it being *that* bad?? I don't! Sure, they cry a bit and with both my kids the crying peaked at about 6 weeks, but c'mon, it's not THAT bad.

Plus, if bub is crying in a share house, think of all those extra pairs of arms to cuddle them! I just don't see what all the fuss is about, babies aren't that bad, and as I said, new parents often haven't lived with a baby before and they manage.
    Yep I do recall it being that bad, I had no idea that it would be like that. I had an easy baby (mostly) and now that DS is nearly 1 I think I have only just gotten used to things more. I understand every baby and mother is different. That's why it's good that different points of view have been posted.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would not like this idea if I can afford to rent separately. I don't like to be constantly wondering if my bub is disturbing anybody day and night. I would be too anxious, that's not healthy for me esp as a new mum there's already lots to handle and adjust. And I don't like to trouble others with my bub if I can so having those hands around me doesn't add anything for me. I only accept help from close friends and family.

This is my personal opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I think as a parent we know the crying isn't soooo bad but pre kids even 2min would send me loopy.

A childless friend left my place cos dd2 was cranky (not screaming but whingy) and that bothered her but another friend who has kids just laughed and put the kettle on.
    Agree.

It really depends on the individual. Before I had kids I couldn't stand babies crying. That's cos I didn't understand crying is their way of communication. Now I have kids, I am more tolerant but still get loopy. And I still cannot stand my own bub/kids crying though I have improved. I think every individual has his/her own threshold.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Oh I can deal with the crying, my friend has two bubs and it's never bothered me, we just fix them (depending why they're crying) and continue on..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Goodness, everyone is making out like living with a newborn is horrendous!! How do you think new parents cope? They've never lived with a baby before! Do you recall it being *that* bad?? I don't! Sure, they cry a bit and with both my kids the crying peaked at about 6 weeks, but c'mon, it's not THAT bad.
    Speak for yourself, the idea of managing a uni workload and a newborn makes me break out on a cold sweat...
    It can be *that* bad without adequate support, trust me!

Thanks
    Reviews

Okie dokie well this thread wasn't meant to be a debate about whether YOU could handle uni and a newborn, it's an option that I need go consider completely as I already know my capabilities and it's the newborn thing that I don't know fully.
    So okay I know some babies can be difficult and some can be breezes, that's closed now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would keep the idea of returning to uni open. One of my friends (single, share house, limited family support) was studying right up until her due date, to the point that she needed a med cert from the midwives because she couldn't hand in an assignment in time....because she was in birth suite having a baby! She had to sit her exams a few weeks later and absolutely struggled with them and having a three week old. Luckily that was the second semester so she then could have a 12 week break for the summer holiday and then picked up 2 online subjects in first semester and another 2 in second semester and will be returning to on-campus full time study this year and bub is almost 18 months old.

I wouldn't plan to go back to studying or to defer right now, keep your options open to make the right decision when the time comes.

I think a previous poster mentioned taking the semester off, but continuing with readings etc to keep your mind active and the content fresh in your mind. We had a lot of ladies fall pregnant during my course (Midwifery - what a surprise hehe) and defer for either a semester or 2 (depending on where in the semester bub was due) and said that reading the textbooks during their time off and keeping in contact with their friends from uni about what they were up to really helped when they came back to study.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 08-01-2013 at 16:04.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    I would keep the idea of returning to uni open. One of my friends (single, share house, limited family support) was studying right up until her due date, to the point that she needed a med cert from the midwives because she couldn't hand in an assignment in time....because she was in birth suite having a baby! She had to sit her exams a few weeks later and absolutely struggled with them and having a three week old. Luckily that was the second semester so she then could have a 12 week break for the summer holiday and then picked up 2 online subjects in first semester and another 2 in second semester and will be returning to on-campus full time study this year and bub is almost 18 months old.

I wouldn't plan to go back to studying or to defer right now, keep your options open to make the right decision when the time comes.

I think a previous poster mentioned taking the semester off, but continuing with readings etc to keep your mind active and the content fresh in your mind. We had a lot of ladies fall pregnant during my course (Midwifery - what a surprise hehe) and defer for either a semester or 2 (depending on where in the semester bub was due) and said that reading the textbooks during their time off and keeping in contact with their friends from uni about what they were up to really helped when they came back to study.
    Thank you
    If I get accepted to change into a very similar course (different teaching course to what I'm in, find out in a few days) then I will have credits which I hope can use to my advantage second semester otherwise I can still halve my classes that semester and just pick up an extra one over the following semesters to catch up (a friend did that last semester but for different reasons). So hopefully even just a lighter load will be easier to deal with. If I do defer I will definitely be keeping up readings. What worries me is that I go insane during uni holidays and if I cope well with the bub, I don't want to regret deferring and then losing my mind at home because bub is too easy to deal with and Im bored iykwim.

Ill be due at the start of second semester but have planned what my timetable could be for that semester covering my three possibilities (take on less classes, utilize credits and continuing with same level of classes) and at worst I will have to go up to uni one day a week for a couple hours and at best ill be able to do pretty much everything but exams at home. I guess I need to play it by ear.

I definitely love some of the pp's suggestions about baby wearing to help study and settle/feed/bond with bub. So if anyone has anymore suggestions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Thank you
    What worries me is that I go insane during uni holidays and if I cope well with the bub, I don't want to regret deferring and then losing my mind at home because bub is too easy to deal with and Im bored iykwim.
    Remember that you've still got census date (usually week 4) to withdraw with no financial or academic penalty and then usually about week 9/10ish you can withdraw with no academic penalty but still have the cost of that unit added to HECS. So you'd be able to start the semester and withdraw after a few weeks if you weren't coping or even if you were coping and halfway through the semester and bub suddenly changed the game plan you could withdraw then without worrying about it affecting your GPA/transcript etc.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

FindMyLunch  (09-01-2013),αληθη  (08-01-2013)