Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Share House/Student House

Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    I wonder why dad is automatically going to be responsible but housemates won't be.

And why it's going to save money to be two hours away from uni, living with someone who is likely to Vee China, Newcastle or elsewhere.

I agree with deferring a semester or two. But living in a share house will likely mean you will have baby continually with you/on you and this may help reduce crying.

Did you know that crying babies us not considered normal by any of the older civilisations. Cry means something is wrong, and yet w tend to consider it normal in western society. Why?

Op, i will encourage you to look into ap options like slings and carriers. This will also help you to be able to stand etc while reading (both hands free while carrying bubs).

It means study time can still be bonding time.

Beat feeding will help keep you out of the kitchen and more self contained. Again it will help with study later on. I did so much reading while breastfeeding once i got the hang of it. (it's a quick and easy and nutritional way to calm an upset baby too

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect
    Thank you so much for this view! With all the other responses I started panicking about what I'm doing. I saw last year in some lectures I was in that there were some mums and even a dad with a baby carrier and bub was just sleeping happily through which now that I'm in this position and if my bub is a settled one, seems like a really good option. Are there certain ones you'd suggest?

If I can multitask feeding/bonding and studying (more that if its common to be able to), that's very reassuring.

I regret making this thread a bit, I'm really freaking out and feel so unprepared now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Thank you so much for this view! With all the other responses I started panicking about what I'm doing. I saw last year in some lectures I was in that there were some mums and even a dad with a baby carrier and bub was just sleeping happily through which now that I'm in this position and if my bub is a settled one, seems like a really good option. Are there certain ones you'd suggest?
    My friend did this when her DS was younger. She kept him in a sling for lectures and if he started to stir, she would pop boob in mouth and he would happily be back off to sleep.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    I wonder why dad is automatically going to be responsible but housemates won't be.
    sure yes - from my POV though, it's more about living with people who don't/have never had children.... My younger brother and his gf wanted me to move in with them, which is lovely, but I hot my own place because I knew even with their best intentions (we can help/ don't worry about him crying etc etc) they could not know how disruptive it could be.... Eg. Even just spending the day with us was pretty full-on for them. DS wasn't even having a 'bad' day! Just normal but I could tell my bro and gf were overwhelmed by it and appreciated how full-on it was for me. Also, people do want to help but unless they've had kids they really don't know how...

Anyway, you have made up your mind so I'm sure you will make it work. Good luck with it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: Share House/Student House

Good point black wired pea. Op mentioned that they have lived with babies before.

Miss Muppet what fantastic advice! Op, perhapsyou might find some good pointers in the parents that are studying section.

For brand new baby i don't think you can go past a hug a bub or woven wrap. once you want to start back carrying (bigger baby) it'll be worth looking at others. Although a good high quality woven wrap will do most carries with a bit of practice.

Are there any baby wearing mums near you that might be able to give you some advice or even a chance to try out thier carriers?

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (08-01-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Oh now that you mention it there's a baby wearer in my DIG I should go ask her about it.
    This has given me a lot to think about so I guess all I can do is talk with Ye housemates and see where we all stand. I've already got one who says it's all fine so just the other two/three to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I have so experience with studying with a newborn I just wanted to say that I would not make a decision about deferring studies until after bub has arrived. My DD was great her first 4 months - slept all the time and also was easy to move while sleeping. At 4 months she started to change and would wake when being relocated and also not sleep as well unless she was in a cot. I know that all babies are different but there's nothing to say that your bub won't be the same. I would have found it heaps easier to study while she was under 4 months than when she was over 6 months (crawling and wanting to be entertained). Good luck with your decision - sounds like a hard decision to make but I think it sounds like you can make the share house work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chasey For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Goodness, everyone is making out like living with a newborn is horrendous!! How do you think new parents cope? They've never lived with a baby before! Do you recall it being *that* bad?? I don't! Sure, they cry a bit and with both my kids the crying peaked at about 6 weeks, but c'mon, it's not THAT bad.

Plus, if bub is crying in a share house, think of all those extra pairs of arms to cuddle them! I just don't see what all the fuss is about, babies aren't that bad, and as I said, new parents often haven't lived with a baby before and they manage.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Goodness, everyone is making out like living with a newborn is horrendous!! How do you think new parents cope? They've never lived with a baby before! Do you recall it being *that* bad?? I don't! Sure, they cry a bit and with both my kids the crying peaked at about 6 weeks, but c'mon, it's not THAT bad.

Plus, if bub is crying in a share house, think of all those extra pairs of arms to cuddle them! I just don't see what all the fuss is about, babies aren't that bad, and as I said, new parents often haven't lived with a baby before and they manage.
    I think as a parent we know the crying isn't soooo bad but pre kids even 2min would send me loopy.

A childless friend left my place cos dd2 was cranky (not screaming but whingy) and that bothered her but another friend who has kids just laughed and put the kettle on.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (08-01-2013),Mom2TwoDSs  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I think as a parent we know the crying isn't soooo bad but pre kids even 2min would send me loopy.

A childless friend left my place cos dd2 was cranky (not screaming but whingy) and that bothered her but another friend who has kids just laughed and put the kettle on.
    But realistically, that 'crying a lot' stage doesn't last all that long. By 3 months both my kids cried very little. If a childless person has willingly gone into it knowing that there's a possibility a baby will cry, surely they will be more tolerant of it. It's a bit different to a childless person being in a cafe next to a crying baby and being bothered by it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    But realistically, that 'crying a lot' stage doesn't last all that long.
    I think it really depends on the child. I've had one very easy going, quiet baby that hardly ever cried at all. Second time around i got one that never stopped crying and it went on well after 3 months. He had reflux which didn't help, but that's aside he was still an incredibly clingy baby that cried every moment he wasn't in my arms.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast