+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    I'm sorry, I was trying to point out some of my houses qualities so I wouldn't be expecting too much of housemates and I was mildly joking about the uni load. I know it's going to be super hard with a newborn but it's not impossible is all I was saying.
    '

It's not just about noise. What happens when bub is crawling around at 6 months and your house mates have left stuff on the floor in common ground, or the bathtub is always left dirty, or glasses are left on coffee tables from the night before and bubs pulls it down, or knives are dropped on the floor and left.

When you have your baby, you will be hyper vigilant making sure everything is safe- and other are not that careful. Ever. Even when they say they will be. Seriously, most Dads are not as vigilant as Mums. People can say they will be careful- but things can be so easily overlooked.

As for the uni load- I honestly think you're being naive about life with a newborn. So many women struggle with basic things like finding time to shower and clean the house, let alone study. A 6 month break to look after you baby is not going to be that big of deal in the grand scheme of things. You may also regret not taking time off to be with baby later on...

Good luck

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (08-01-2013)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Share House/Student House

I personally would rather move to dads. But I can see your reasons why it suits you. Just make sure that you have covered every aspect of your decision. And are 100% comfortable with it. good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: Share House/Student House

I think it sounds perfect for you. You've only ever lived in a share house, and by the sounds of it, done so happily. so you don't need to move out for you're own space. Your housemates need to be entirely ok with the idea though. Discuss it in full with then and make sure everyone has the same expectations.

I think itwould be fantastic. You will be able to just ask someone to bring you home some bread etc while they're shopping. Do not underestimate that. It's huge

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (08-01-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

People only mentioned noise which is why I tried to explain.
    We don't have a bathtub so that's not a worry and I guess because I know how my house is set up, those aren't concerns of mine. There may be a glass or two left on a table every now and then I know but bub wouldn't be able to reach our tables.
    Maybe it was a bad idea to ask about my home when people don't know what it's like in there and it's difficult to explain everything.

With uni, well I may be naive but my uni workload has never been unmanageable and I understand that it will be more difficult with a baby. As was mentioned on the first page, campus has child care facilities and lectures can be accessed online so I will only really need to attend tutorials and lectures in the early days where either participation is required or there's an exam. Tutors and lecturers are very accommodating.
    And as I've continuously said, this is all brain storming as I still have a lot more to figure out with my housemates, with my wallet and with my dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: Share House/Student House

I wonder why dad is automatically going to be responsible but housemates won't be.

And why it's going to save money to be two hours away from uni, living with someone who is likely to Vee China, Newcastle or elsewhere.

I agree with deferring a semester or two. But living in a share house will likely mean you will have baby continually with you/on you and this may help reduce crying.

Did you know that crying babies us not considered normal by any of the older civilisations. Cry means something is wrong, and yet w tend to consider it normal in western society. Why?

Op, i will encourage you to look into ap options like slings and carriers. This will also help you to be able to stand etc while reading (both hands free while carrying bubs).

It means study time can still be bonding time.

Beat feeding will help keep you out of the kitchen and more self contained. Again it will help with study later on. I did so much reading while breastfeeding once i got the hang of it. (it's a quick and easy and nutritional way to calm an upset baby too

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    People only mentioned noise which is why I tried to explain.
    We don't have a bathtub so that's not a worry and I guess because I know how my house is set up, those aren't concerns of mine. There may be a glass or two left on a table every now and then I know but bub wouldn't be able to reach our tables.
    Maybe it was a bad idea to ask about my home when people don't know what it's like in there and it's difficult to explain everything.

With uni, well I may be naive but my uni workload has never been unmanageable and I understand that it will be more difficult with a baby. As was mentioned on the first page, campus has child care facilities and lectures can be accessed online so I will only really need to attend tutorials and lectures in the early days where either participation is required or there's an exam. Tutors and lecturers are very accommodating.
    And as I've continuously said, this is all brain storming as I still have a lot more to figure out with my housemates, with my wallet and with my dad.
    I just want to add something to this - I work with undergraduate teachers and will be lecturing this year. How many years is your degree? Because you will need to factor in teaching rounds - this are often in 4 week blocks or more and during this time you can be expected to take a full teacher load (huge amount of work) - just to give you a heads up about thinking about plans for bub then.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I just want to add something to this - I work with undergraduate teachers and will be lecturing this year. How many years is your degree? Because you will need to factor in teaching rounds - this are often in 4 week blocks or more and during this time you can be expected to take a full teacher load (huge amount of work) - just to give you a heads up about thinking about plans for bub then.
    I have thought of that too (I have a couple friends who have just done their prac), I won't be doing it until next year though, so will hopefully have things more settled by the time that comes around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having been there with a newborn and study, here's my tips:

Take one semester off to get to know your baby and get into the swing of life with your new family member.

During that time off, keep up with readings. I had a reflux baby who cried lots and who was constantly held. I'd spend 5-6 hrs sitting with a sleeping baby on the couch, occasionally feeding, going back to sleep. Use that time to do uni readings so you keep in the groove and first semester back will be easier. Not actually being enrolled that semester means you don't have exam and assignment stress though, which is the biggie.

Keep chatting with your uni friends so you keep your contacts when you return.

Try to have nil expectations of the new baby period.

Be flexible and prepared to change your plan/living arrangements if its not working. If you share house, keep your dads place as a back up and tee that up with him in advance. You may find sharehousing during the week, and going to your dads to study on weekends works well to give everyone space, and so your friends can let their hair down on weekends.

Be open and clear when you need help from others eg partner, friends, parents but be okay with them being open about their limits too and don't expect them to prioritise your study. (I learnt that one the hard way).

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

babyla  (08-01-2013),FindMyLunch  (09-01-2013),αληθη  (08-01-2013),Luna Lovegood  (08-01-2013),wannawannabe  (08-01-2013)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews

Deleted

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have thought of that too (I have a couple friends who have just done their prac), I won't be doing it until next year though, so will hopefully have things more settled by the time that comes around.
    That's great

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast