+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Share House/Student House

After living in Birmingham Gardens before I really don't think ill go back that way. There's a couple okay looking houses in Lambton that I might look into.
    I'm being very open with my housemates and making sure they realise what living with a newborn will be like, and there's only one housemate who has never lived with a baby before so the others know what it can be like.
    I guess I have to wait until I speak to the housemates more and the real estate now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really think it could only work if you have your own living areas/space. It definitely would not have suited me but you sound like you would prefer that to living on your own...?

Its important to be near your support network absolutely, but it's just as important to be near services and work (or work opportunities) if you plan on going back to work. I moved back to my home region from sydney where is be close to family, DS's Dad (who also moved back here), and friends. But now I can't get decent work in my field and am finding it incredibly difficult to work out what to do as I need/want a job (and don't want to commute 1.5-2hrs each way to the city!).

You could try it out but yeah I definitely wouldn't do it unless you have your own space. You need peace and quiet with a newborn and not to have to consider 3-4 other people! I didn't even like people visiting at certain times of the day let alone people there all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews

I personally wouldn't live in a share house with a baby. A newborn is so full on. You don't know how the baby will be, he or she may cry 24/7. Would your housemates be ok with that? I would be looking into getting my own unit. You may also find you want your own space once the baby is here. Also with the two rooms in the share house big enough?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    If it were me I would want to be on my own. I couldn't do it in a shared house.

Thanks
    Reviews

The share house is huge and I'm studying to be a high school teacher so work should be reasonable enough to find after uni. I do really understand what you're all saying about newborn being full on and wanting my own space. I do know re the space thing that if the housemates are okay with it but I can only get one room it will be a bit too cramped for my liking but with two rooms I will have a lot of room to breathe and have my space as well.
    I'm absolutely terrified of having a newborn in any house so I'm just considering this option in full as I know I will face more hurdles if I get my own place as I have limited furniture etc. I feel so unprepared >__<

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the best plans can always fall through, even if your house mates are happy with the idea now it may all change once bubs is born, or if you are in specific student accommodation the real estate may not agree to having a baby in the house. I am not trying to put you off the idea, just saying you may as well look at all options, which it sounds like you are
    I am a Newcastle girl myself and live close to the Uni (I work there) so I can understand you wanting to be close by. Have you thought about speaking to student support networks at the Uni? There is an accommodation services unit who deal with off-campus accommodation too so they might be able to make some suggestions, just incase you find yourself needing to move.
    Also if you are looking into childcare at the Uni they have three centres, one is for staff, one is for students and community and the other is an occassional care centre that you book by the hour (can still be waitlists though). I would definitely recommend putting your name down now as they fill up but they are lovely centres, both my kiddies go to the staff one and I couldn't be happier with them.
    Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to swizzly555 For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Where abouts is the one that's paid by the hour? I only know where one is as I walked past it on the way to my hunter side classes and vaguely another that I stumbled upon when a friend was giving me a 'campus tour' in our first days

I have thought of the student services if my housemates aren't keen. There's so much to do! Ahhh

With my real estate, it's not a specific student accommodation and I guess I'm a little lucky as our landlord is my sort of dp's mum (comes very much in handy ahaha). I do know if the housemates are 100% okay with my ideas and the real estate give me a bit of trouble that my landlord will put her foot down (I have no idea what she can do but hey it's her house so she can do something lol).
    Last edited by αληθη; 08-01-2013 at 08:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The one on the Hunter side is the occassional care - my DD started off there and it was great! Lovely ladies and a great centre. The other 2 are next to each other at the front of the Uni... if you know where the Maths bus stop is there is a large parking area behind that and it leads to the day care.

There is a lot to think about, but you have come this far and you seem determined enough to make anything work - you will be fine If you ever need some support or someone to talk to feel free to PM me, I am just over 13 weeks with bub number 3 so happy to talk about anything!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to swizzly555 For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Ohh there's two there? those by the math bus stop are the ones I often walk past.
    When I get back to Newy ill go in and see them If I end up staying at dads for six months anyway then knowing I can still travel down with bub will be amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think sometimes people underestimate the amount and volume newborns cry. I would never, ever live in a share house with a newborn. Their cry is designed to jerk you from the deepest of sleeps.

Also I think it's unreasonable to expect your house mates to be quiet at night or through the day to prevent waking the newborn up. No pre-drink before clubbing, no friends coming back, no parties and limiting house guests (because you can't just have every Tom, D!ck and Harry loitering about your house with a baby in it)...that's a lot to ask a uni student!

I would move back to your Dad's- he is more likely to provide with respite, support and financially it will be easier. When do you plan on returning to uni? Could you move closer once your baby is sleeping through and content (this can vary from 6 weeks to 6 months or longer)? I wouldn't want to be doing uni on 3 hours of broken sleep every night- especially if you're hoping for good grades.