+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Toilet training. This is a little tricky when DS has absolutely no speech at all. I started putting him on the toilet, which was going well ( two poos, no wee though) then we moved and our toilet at our new place is dark and a bit scary, we're in an old house atm. So I bought him a potty. It sits in the lounge and I told DS he can put a sticker on his sticker chart when he sits on potty and does wee. I thought if I could get him using potty I would at least be half way there toilet training him. Anyway, he will sit on potty and point to his sticker chart and do his little squeak, which lets me know he wants to put a sticker on. I realised if I refuse him a sticker just because he hasn't done wee, it might knock his confidence or he'll lose interest. So I I gave him a sticker which he was happy with, only now he thinks anytime he want a sticker he only needs to sit. We've completely lost the concept, and trying to get him to understand is a little difficult. I am confident with a lot of patience, time at home and the correct approach, he can do it, but I have to admit, I'm mainly in a hurry because I want him to keep up with other kids. So he's not too different. I feel a little guilty and I don't want to push him, but it's hard to ignore the looks you get from mums with kids at only 2 years old that are toilet trained, and then they see your 3 year old is still in nappies. I know I shouldn't let it get to me.

Good luck to everyone else toilet training! Good positive stories welcome, even the ones that don't go as planned!

Sorry for yet another long post from me, but I just wanted to know if anyone else out there has a skinny toddler/child. My boy was 3 last month. Is pretty tall, some say he could be a 4 year old. He's always been slim, always at the 75 percentile for his height and only 25 percentile for his weight. He eats really healthy, for a child on the spectrum he has a lot of foods he eats. The maternal child health nurse thinks he fine, but then agin she completely missed his autism, even when I told her of my concerns. My concerns for DS weight is that you can see his ribs, all of them. Even his sternum and spin are very visible. He is skrony. I just hope there isn't anything underlying, though I don't know why and don't even have any idea what to look into. My GP is the only one for miles, and useless unless he's filling prescriptions. Any ideas what I could start looking for and into?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Owl- yes we had trouble with the throwing. It all came down to frustration. He'd get so worked up and frustrated, and just had no idea how to control or channel it, so he'd throw. He even started throwing things at me, really aggressively. That's when I seeked help here and babynomad put me on o RDI. I haven't yet been able to apply anything RDI to him yet, but my attitude towards him really changed, and instead of getting angry with him ( which of course he hated) and growling at him or putting hi. In his room, I started listening. I got down to his level, and in a calm voice I'd tell him not to throw (just to make a point) but without harping on it and dragging it on, and before he could protest some more I'd ask what I'd he want, and to "show mum". I started being sympathetic, and understanding, and it's paid off. I haven't seen a tantrum in weeks. (maybe even months, who's counting! )

It sounds like your boy was let to get to a frustrated and overwhelming stage to get to that point. How did it get to that point before someone intervened? He must have been very stressed. At first thought, I'd be concerned, but not knowing exactly what happened, I can't judge. Do the staff know his trigger points?

Other than that, how does he like daycare?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babynomad View Post
    Welcome to the thread purpdirewich. How has your son managed throughout his school life? My son is only 4 and I am yet to encounter the whole school thing. Has his anger got worse going through his teenage years? Anyway , welcome and hope to chat to you more with you insight of an older child.
    He managed great untill high school then he got a little lost.
    I suggest when the littlies start school take homework slowly. Its so hard for them to be so controlled at school then to come home and to just be told they have to do more school work, the poor kids get so overwhelmed.
    Since his diagnosis though and meds (i never wanted meds for him but they have made a world of difference) his school life has gotten easier except for the bullying

Another thing ask questions at school lots of questions, lots of meetings. The more help and support you put in place for your child the better.off they will be..

Oh the dreaded teenage yrs.. yes its gotten worse and its so hard to distinguish between ASD and teenage hormones but on the plus side im told it gets easier lol.

We have all learnt to just take it a day at a time, breathe and remember our kids are special and we are amazing mums no matter how many meltdowns our kids have in public or behind closed doors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    J's stimming is doing my head in! He flaps and jumps while vocalising a sort of 'eurgh' sound. He does it a lot. We went to a play connect group today and while J's language and social interactions were good he was the only one stimming and it really marked an obvious difference between him and the other children. And it's the one thing that I can't find any useful advice for. Most web sites seem to say that if your child stims then they might grow out of it but they probably won't and there's not much you can do to effect it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all....

I have 2 boys on the specturm.....B is 11 (turning 12) and has Asperger's, gross motor dyspraxia and tourette's. He is gifted academically (especially in Maths and computers). B is in grade 8 this year and has so far being having a great time although dreaded puberty has hit.

Panda is 6 and has classic autism, SLD, ADHD, severe allergies to egg and latex and lactose intolerant, hearing loss, pica and major sensory issues. He's my little trooper and is such a happy little boy. He's currently in grade 1 and is doing fantastic as we are very lucky to have a teacher who not only understands but also takes the time to explain things to his level.

Both my boys were got dx'ed in 2009. B was 8 at the time and panda was 2.5.

Until last year, I was a single mum, My partner is wonderful with the boys and very understanding as he has a brother on the spectrum as well. He also has a son. We will be welcoming another little person in Nov 2013.

I'm currently studying full time to be a teacher via USQ. It's all external, so i'm on hand if my boys ever need me.

WOW that was a novel. if you've made it this far YAY
    look forward to chatting
    Lee

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeLee81 For This Useful Post:

purpdirewytch  (17-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi to everyone new who has joins this thread. I have not been on here for a while .leelee81 congratulations on your pregnancy , hope your feeling well and getting to relax as much as you can ( you sound super busy though!).

Does anyone have any tips on how to get your child to have his nails cut? This is something that has been going on forever and Finn has nails that look like claws! I wouldn't mind so much but when his brother is crying he gets annoyed and goes for his face! My little two year old is copying him and refusing having his nails cut ....... We try to do it when they are asleep but its like they know! They pull there little hands away.

how is it that a little 4 year old can have so much strength ? Honestly I doubt King Kong could hold his hand and cut his nails.

any advice ?

Today Finn has woken up in a major crying / bossy/ super sensitive mood ( socks have to be on exactly where the heel color cover the heel and the toe color covers the toes in a perfect line) so I'm taking a deep breath , having a double strength coffee because today is going to be one of those days I think .

Have a good day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone . Well I got our first taste of bullying last night we went to a preschool Easter party , there are lots of kid there some who attend and the older school age siblings. The kids where all asking Finn to chase them and he does because that's what he loves to do . At first I was really happy as I was thinking how great it is that he gets to be involved and asked to play but I soon noticed how he was almost being treated like an animal they way the kids where calling him and laughing about him. He soon became the focus of everyone's attention. Then he fell over and a boy of about five deliberately kicked him in the groin. My husband ran over but Finn got up and it all started again, again he fell on the floor and the same boy kicked him again and again and a girl started kicking him in the head. More kids started to join in ( Pre school kids!!) . My husband ran over and Finn was crying . I took him to the toilet to calm down . No parent told there own kid off. Me and my husband just took a deep breath because this is probably something that happens when we are not there too. I want to somehow equip Finn with a verbal saying or something but he doesn't get it. I said " Finn you need to shout out stop now" but he just was not listening. To those with older kids on the spectrum do you have any advice? I know this will be part of life , but to see him treated so appallingly by other kids under 6 was horrible.
    Have a nice weekend everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babynomad View Post
    Hi everyone . Well I got our first taste of bullying last night we went to a preschool Easter party , there are lots of kid there some who attend and the older school age siblings. The kids where all asking Finn to chase them and he does because that's what he loves to do . At first I was really happy as I was thinking how great it is that he gets to be involved and asked to play but I soon noticed how he was almost being treated like an animal they way the kids where calling him and laughing about him. He soon became the focus of everyone's attention. Then he fell over and a boy of about five deliberately kicked him in the groin. My husband ran over but Finn got up and it all started again, again he fell on the floor and the same boy kicked him again and again and a girl started kicking him in the head. More kids started to join in ( Pre school kids!!) . My husband ran over and Finn was crying . I took him to the toilet to calm down . No parent told there own kid off. Me and my husband just took a deep breath because this is probably something that happens when we are not there too. I want to somehow equip Finn with a verbal saying or something but he doesn't get it. I said " Finn you need to shout out stop now" but he just was not listening. To those with older kids on the spectrum do you have any advice? I know this will be part of life , but to see him treated so appallingly by other kids under 6 was horrible.
    Have a nice weekend everyone!
    Im so sorry those kids did that to your little boy. it broke my heart reading that.
    Is this a preschool he goes to normally? If so i would be seeing the director as soon as possible and explaining what happened and find out if it happens when your not around also.
    I would also put in a complaint and ask the preschool to definatly keep an eye on your boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I think your right , I will talk to the director about it. It seemed a bit extreme. It was a party and they all had eaten so much sugary Easter eggs but still, i was more shocked that no other parent stepped in to say it was wrong. It's a small preschool so they know Finn , he has also pushed and actually bitten ( out of stress a few weeks ago) so I don't want to be all over protective , but I just felt so sorry for him.

Thanks purple. I know I need to help my boy. So tough this autism thing some days . Have a lovely day xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    your welcome.
    It is very hard being an ASD parent and watching our kids go through these things not knowing what to do.
    The only peice of advice i can really give you is you are his only advicate, as hard as it is some days and as hard as it will get always be there and always fight for him.

It took me a long time to come to terms with my son being who he is but in the end all i knew was if i didnt fight for his rights who would.
    Last edited by purpdirewytch; 23-03-2013 at 08:59.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purpdirewytch For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (23-03-2013),Mummy Potato  (09-04-2013)