+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im really interested to hear how you go with the Hanen thing. I was paying $120 a week for an hour speech therapy a week for Finn from the age of two and a half. We figured we spent thousands on it and it did not work. They seemed to just ask him questions all the time and reward eye contact with lots of yehs! High five! The kind of kid Finn is ... He just went more into himself. We stopped speech and he got better within months. He is 4 and his speech is now around 2.5 ish. I'm happy with that . I would love to hear how you go!

Finn bit a kid at preschool the other day. I was so upset as he hasn't done that for around a year. But on a happier note he is able to tell me why ( she stole his toy phone) still not good and horrible for little girl but for me we are at least starting to know more about how he feels and why he does stuff.

On a happier note also we seem to of got toileting under wraps . So proud of him . I thought he would not get it but he suprised me. A wrapped up toy transformer for a poo insight but out of reach did the trick and now he goes without reward. He loves transformers and I think he was so happy with it it took the horror out of the toilet.
    Finn is still very different to other 4 year olds , he repeats a lot over and over like a broken record. He freaks out if you call him Finn but in his mind he is batman or buzz or superman or Optimus prime.... You frantically try to get it right and the more you get it wrong the more he screams!!!

Gosh , life is interesting that's for sure.

Good luck with the Hanen ! Would love to hear what it's about .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey babynomad- Thats a very cute story about Finn and the toilet training. Cute! What did you mean by "the sort of kid Finn is" regarding the yeh's and high fives for eye contact reward and him withdrawing back into him self? Wht sort of a kid is he? The reason why I ask is I am wondering if my boy is similar and that could be his problem too...

How is everyone else? Very quite in here....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well,basically if he feels under pressure to perform ( ask a question , tell him to do something ) he worries I think about failing or eating it wrong so he shuts down or goes quiet or plainly ignores you ... Like you don't exist , so speech therapy for him was no good at all. It's like the more I just comment on what I'm doing and tell him about my day the more he opens up ... If in ask a question or repeat myself too much again he closes down . Jo the RDI lady taught me that and it's so so right! He also asks me quetions he knows the answer to and she reckons that's when he wants to talk. I think speech therapy was more harm than good for my child , not all kids but for mine no no!
    I've had a rotten day today , Finn has been screaming at anything . I think he gets in a bad mood when he needs a poop! Lots of love to all and hope your ok today mysweetboy !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I meant get it wrong not eat it wrong... Damn phone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your tired, and in your own comfy bed, not hot, not cold, not hungry and not hurt, WHY NOT JUST GO TO SLEEP!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, how hard can it be??

I walked DS home in the pram today from playgroup. He must have gotten sleepy towards the end. He didn't go to sleep, but nor far off it. When I got him out of the pram to put him to bed, that was it. Screaming and crying. He was set to go to sleep, so why is it so hard to go back there? I know he doesn't cope well when he's ready to fall asleep and then interrupted, but geez, you'd think one would be happy to be in their own bed and could finally go off to sleep.

Why is this autism so hard? If its not this, its something else. I'm sick of it. I love my Son, but I hate autism. Once upon a time I was almost proud of my DS's autism and how well he was doing, but I'm at the end of my tether now. Its just hit home that this is as good as its ever going to get. We will NEVER be able to escape autism. ITs our life now. I'm having a bad day....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my sweet boy , I know . It's very very trying and hard , it hard wanting your kid I run off at playgroup and get chatting with the other kids and then run back and tell you enthusiastically what they are playing.Its hard not being able to have a conversation about what you will be doing and what plans you have , getting them to understand birthdays an what age means. Some days are bloody tough I know . Remember also that 3 years olds are hard work anyway! My neuro typical 2 year old can have absolutely vile tantrums ! But at least it's over something I understand !

It's bloody hard , your a strong mum , you have to be . Be hugs , hopefully in a years time with RDI you will see a big difference as have I . Still and always autistic but much much betterxxx I'm always here to talk either here , Pm or email xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I know i probably come accross all positive , it's just my way , but I too had that same thought ( this is my life forever ) last night. I was with the baby so left husband to deal with a mega meltdown at 2.50 am ! Still unsure of what is was but husband tried so hard to keep his cool whilst Finn got madder with everything my husband said or even if he shut the door wrong on his way out..... I just lay in bed with my heart racing feeling dread.

Today however Finn took himself to the toilet and came out really proud and said " mum I'm not even scared anymore" . A year ago if someone told me he would say that I would not believe it. He has said this a few times not and he is very proud of himself . Part growing up with age and part therapy and part being left to figure it out I think .

So I didn't want you to think in just all " don't worry it will get better " , I know autism is for life and that's a scary thing , I too get so stressed I hate it so much . The bad days suck xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    mysweetboy - I've been there too. Some days I just wonder how I'm going to get through. But the good days will come again. He'll do some thing you never imagined he would do and you'll proud of him again.
    Do you have good support around you? Some times I find the biggest help is to unload to a sympathetic person irl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello Owl79. How's things going with you? Hope life going along ok mysweetboy how has today been ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies

My 3.5 DS1 was diagnosed with Autism last oct but we have suspected he had it since he was a baby. He is very delayed in his speech and language and we are getting him into ST and OT verty soon. He is very limited in what foods he will eat and i think i can count on one hand the different foods he will eat.

It can be frustrating and draining some days because of the mummy guilt that i feel that i have to be teaching him something new all the time or i feel like i'm failing him He has an obsession with numbers and just wrattles them off all day and i have to say them back to him or he will just repeat himself untill you do. My family are very supportive of my son and his diagosis which is great and DH is an old hand at this as his brother brother (23) has severe Autism and still lives at home with MIL and FIL and he is such a great sounding board as i come to him with questions and my worries all the time.

Thanks for starting this thread! I'ts nice to have other mummies to chat with that know what i'm going through.