+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    my sweet boy - I know how you feel. I find it really difficult to be around other people's kids at times. It can be hard to be happy for them when I feel like we're missing out on so much stuff they take for granted.
    But I can't deny that I feel blessed at other times. J inhabits the world so differently - he see the world in such a different way - that I'll always be learning from him. It's hard to put into words but it's as though his 'essence' is purer. His interests and activities will always be 'him', they won't be influenced by fads or fashions. But that's a hard thing to hold up against 'well my kid has half a dozen best friends, can ride a bike and swim 4 lengths of a pool".

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Owl79 For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (14-01-2013),ILOVEBRODY  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does anyone elses child not turn off? We have to be so careful not to get my son to hyped because he will not turn off and keeps it going and going until we really get on him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Owl - I love how you put it, I swear, they could be my exact words. Soooo nice to know others are in the same boat, your not alone.

Lovemyfam _ Sorry I'm not familiar with that. so I couldn't really help, but I haven't seen you here before?? Are you new? I just joined this thread so not sure if you've been here before. What I'm getting at is, what therapies/intervention do you receive? I ask this because parents new to the ASD circle can feel overwhelmed and not know where to start, I know thats how I felt. And the reason I ask is because perhaps an OT (occupational therapist) may help? Have you sort help and advice from a professional, or are you looking for another parents perspective? Sounds like your boy gets over stimulated, by his surrounds or environment, but then, I'm no expert.

So nice to hear from everybody here and their experiences. I'll be on here a bit in the next few days or weeks, because atm, I am in needing a release of feelings because no one else I know understands. I need to vent, rejoice and just feel normal, even if its for a little while...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Release away my sweet boy !! Love my fam , yes my boy has a on switch that you can't turn off! I find when he gets excited he just has so much energy !! Owl I too love what you said , perfect ! I feel my son's essence is purer too . He cannot lie and couldn't / wouldn't ever make someone sad on purpose . He lives in the moment second by second .

Hi to everyone else !!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

ILOVEBRODY  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh yes, has anyone had a look at the website wrongplanet .net ? It's a forum for people with autism ( adults) an parents of autistic kids. It's a wonderful insight into the autistic mind, they have a thread where autistic people can ask neuro typical people questions and vice versa . It's also is great as some of these people are so amazing , how they write , their opinions , it's beautiful . Some choose not to be verbal but through the Internet they connect and write such deep feelings and they are so smart !! It's must be the only forum in the world that has no *****yness !! Ha ha ! We can learn a lot from autistic people !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Does anyone elses child not turn off? We have to be so careful not to get my son to hyped because he will not turn off and keeps it going and going until we really get on him.
    Hi lovemyfam... yes! My son has huge problems with sensory/emotional regulation. we will be starting O/T in a couple of weeks for this and also to do a transition to school program as he starts school this month and experiences a lot of anxiety in new situations. The O/T who did his assessment said that his anxiety causes his sensory overload. He sometimes gets so hyped up he reminds me of an out of control puppy!

Have you seen an O/T for your son? They would probably be able to help. How old is your son? Does it affect his ability to do things like get dressed or eat dinner? I'm wondering, because I know it affects us in that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babynomad View Post
    Oh yes, has anyone had a look at the website wrongplanet .net ? It's a forum for people with autism ( adults) an parents of autistic kids. It's a wonderful insight into the autistic mind, they have a thread where autistic people can ask neuro typical people questions and vice versa . It's also is great as some of these people are so amazing , how they write , their opinions , it's beautiful . Some choose not to be verbal but through the Internet they connect and write such deep feelings and they are so smart !! It's must be the only forum in the world that has no *****yness !! Ha ha ! We can learn a lot from autistic people !
    Hi babynomad...I completely agree! This website is great if you want an insight into the wonderful minds of people with autism. And I know exactly what you mean about no *****yness. I think people with autism just say what they mean without censorship. That is one of the traits I love about my DS! He is sooo honest with everyone. He is very 'matter of fact' and you know exactly where you stand with him...love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mysweetboy View Post
    So nice to hear from everybody here and their experiences. I'll be on here a bit in the next few days or weeks, because atm, I am in needing a release of feelings because no one else I know understands. I need to vent, rejoice and just feel normal, even if its for a little while...
    Hi mysweetboy, I'm a bit the same atm. I feel as though there's no-one in the 'real world' I can talk to about my DS. Some people try to be understanding which is really great, and I appreciate it but I know they just don't understand the nitty gritty of ASD simply because they don't live it, not because they don't want to. Having said that, I also have family members who I'm sure are convinced that DS is perfectly fine even though he's been dx. It feels a bit like "us and them" sometimes. It makes me really understand how people with autism must feel. If I feel that way, how must it be for them?

Its great to be able to have a place to share thoughts, opinions, experiences and feelings. Hopefully we can all provide some support and understanding for each other

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEBRODY View Post
    Hi lovemyfam... yes! My son has huge problems with sensory/emotional regulation. we will be starting O/T in a couple of weeks for this and also to do a transition to school program as he starts school this month and experiences a lot of anxiety in new situations. The O/T who did his assessment said that his anxiety causes his sensory overload. He sometimes gets so hyped up he reminds me of an out of control puppy!

Have you seen an O/T for your son? They would probably be able to help. How old is your son? Does it affect his ability to do things like get dressed or eat dinner? I'm wondering, because I know it affects us in that way.

He hasnt had therapy since moving here, he is 13 now he had a whole lot of therapy back in the US I will just copy and paste from another thread on what he was receiving He has Autism and Sensory processing disorder.

1 therapist that took him out each Saturday to work with him in public for a few hours, taking him to places and working with him in proper way to behave and interact with people in public.

1 therapist that came to the house or school 3 -4 times a week to help us with whatever we needed help with. We would set a goal for that week and work on it at home or we would set a goal for school. Example is at home we needed to work on his cleaning his room without a fit every time or brushing his teeth (he hated the feel of the brush on his teeth so he refused to brush and was always a battle), at school we needed to work on making friends and approaching other children.

Went to a neuropsychologist once a month

A counselor came by the house once a week to talk with him, they would play playdoh together or bubbles and just chat.

2 times a week speech therapy at school

2 times a week peer class- this is where he and other students with autism get together and learn about peer pressure, bullying and how to handle the hard parts of autism.

2 times a week, physical therapy to address many issues, walking on toes, balance, stuff like that.

There was a program that would send a therapist over to the house up to 2 days a week for a few hours if you and your partner wanted to go out and know that your child was safe. This allowed parents to go on dates and have a break.
    Yes a puppy is a good example. It affects everything to be honest if he gets revved up before a meal he disrupts the whole family, he will talk loud, throw food, make a huge mess, knock things over, or start to wander away from the table then walk in circles flinging his arms everywhere

One thing that it really affects are the other children, they know not to rough house with him but kids will be kids and they start and he just doesn't turn off, he will chase them around, hit them, yell and we have to physically hold him until he settles or send him to his room.

He is on medication which is straterra which the dr can get him but he was also on anti Psychotics (Risperdal) which the ped couldnt get which I understand I dont even know where to start on getting him help here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEBRODY View Post
    Hi mysweetboy, I'm a bit the same atm. I feel as though there's no-one in the 'real world' I can talk to about my DS. Some people try to be understanding which is really great, and I appreciate it but I know they just don't understand the nitty gritty of ASD simply because they don't live it, not because they don't want to. Having said that, I also have family members who I'm sure are convinced that DS is perfectly fine even though he's been dx. It feels a bit like "us and them" sometimes. It makes me really understand how people with autism must feel. If I feel that way, how must it be for them?

Its great to be able to have a place to share thoughts, opinions, experiences and feelings. Hopefully we can all provide some support and understanding for each other
    My mother still denies there is anything wrong with my son she figures it was bad parenting on our part. People just dont understand sometimes.