ASD parents chat and support | Page 12 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Went to the drop in clinic today. We ended up seeing physio as well ot and speech. They assess if you need to see them and will organize appointments. They were all really nice and really helpful! He has an appointment with the physio on Tuesday to get some weights for his shoes as the muscle in his ankles aren't too great from him walking on his toes. It's a all through the public system and I am a bit shocked that it is happening so fast!

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi mummabear !

We had chromosome testing done which included testing for fragile x.

All came back clear and I felt happy to just know we had done it and covered all bases !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

Mummabear84  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, I REALLY recommend visiting a drop in clinic! Got a call from speechies and ds has an appointment for a full assessment on Monday! That's less then a week from our initial visit!! Can't believe it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great! You won't feel in limbo so much and you'll have a bit of direction with therapy. Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I'm very new here!
    So I'll start by inducing myself and my situation.
    I have a daughter who is 5 and has literally just been diagnosed with ASD 2 weeks ago I have a lot of feelings going on! The first week I just crying over anything and everything! This week I am so angry, the range inside me is massive! I am so frustrated!
    I also have a gorgeous little boy who is 21 months that I am so worried he will be let out!
    I have not slept since the diagnosis.
    My hubby I am pretty sure is in denial.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just hit 2 years since our diagnosis and I still get the massive range of emotions sometimes. Just make sure you don't let it consume you. Your daughter is still the same person she was a month ago, she just has a better way forward now. A diagnosis is also a key to better help and information.

The denial will pass. It's a coping mechanism. You both need to make sure you are there for each other. Having an ASD child can bring quite a few hurdles to a marriage so it's important to get on the same team straight away.

My ASD child is 4. I also have a 6yo, 3yo and 2yo. They get plenty of time, I promise. You will make plenty of time for your little one. Once everything settled and you get stuck into your new routine, it will become the "new normal" and you'll keep on plugging through

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do you get through the day?
    I am so frustrated at the ASD trying to understand what I am dealing with! I fear her going to school so bad! She adores daycare, there has never been a separation anxiety or shyness.
    But can you recommend any books?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't really recommend any books, I didn't really read much in that regard.

We just take our days as they come. We've had a rough few weeks. Smeared poop on the wall in the toilet, been physically aggressive etc. We just keep cleaning, keep settling, keep talking to him etc. You just do it because it needs to be done.

My son is starting school next year. He currently does preschool 3 days a week and he copes most days there okay. But I am still worried about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I'm the lady who started this thread 4 years ago . I just happened to check into bubhub , something I don't do so often these days .
    I hope I can give you a positive story .

4 years ago Finn was only just beginning to speak , we had behavioral problems and he didn't comprehend language at all . We could not give him instructions and his diet was pretty much just fruit and yogurt and bread and cheese. He was pretty lost . Noise stressed him out . Clothes would drive him crazy with itchiness .

Now Finn is nearly 8 . He can talk very well and understands what we say - he doesn't always respond but that's ok . It's his choice. He hasn't had a meltdown for around a year . His severe headaches have stopped . He is happy . He has been to 4 different schools but is finally very happy and learning / reading / playing . He is a loner but will join in if he feels like it . He eats a huge range of foods. He will now let me cut his hair and nails and brush his teeth no problem .

When he was diagnosed I was so angry . But he has got better and better . One major thing we did was his diet . We checked with a natropath for pyrroles and sure enough he has it so he started a range of supplements B6 ,B12 zinc , vit c , pro biotic . I want to do the gaps diet but I'm a bit worried as he eats so well now . Finn was in nappys until over 4 but now all good in the hygiene department . We also did a year and a bit of RDI therapy which helped a lot .

I wanted to tell you our story not to be one of these people shouting out her child is cured - because he still has autism but I do believe it gets better with age in many cases . I firmly believe in finding out if they react to any foods or if they have pyrroles . My son has had a huge turn around on the supplements . I just wanted to give you a positive story . 4 years on we have a different boy . It's not always easy but it's so different to how i thought thing would be in a very wonderful way .

Lots of love to you all . And big hug to all of those who have newly diagnosed kids. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Another super quick positive story. Dd2 is 15. She was diagnosed at 5. She now has a really good strong friendship group. They arent traditional group of friends for a girl her age but they a really strong friendship group. There is 6 of them both male and female ranging from 18 to 15. They are animie fans that at one stage went to the same school. Some have graduated others have moved to other schools. They still meet up most weekends and are in touch via social media.
    She is getting mostly A's at school.
    We still get meltdowns but we manage them better and are more aware of the triggers and see build ups before they come so sometimes can avoid or less them.

I hope this helps.