+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Unique names!

Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    Oh and it is just my opinion
    1. I'm not sure what this even means. Of course it's your opinion, but that doesn't make it valid. Obviously I intended to challenge your opinion.

2. The increasing popularity of naming a child with the sole purpose of providing them with some kind of uniqueness or individuality is based on a pretty flawed premise. What happens when someone else dares to use the name? Oops, you're not unique anymore.

Giving a child a weird name doesn't ensure they will live some spectacular life. For heaven's sake think outside the box... Teach them to play the piccolo, take them to build libraries in third world countries, work on cold fusion. These are the makings of uniqueness and individuality, not setting your child up to be called "Blubble" for the rest of their life.
    Last edited by lambjam; 08-01-2013 at 07:25.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (08-01-2013),Blue Dragon  (10-01-2013),CMF  (08-01-2013),delirium  (08-01-2013),FearlessLeader  (08-01-2013),meatpopsicle  (08-01-2013),MissMuppet  (10-01-2013),MissSookyLaLa  (10-01-2013),VanityFey  (08-01-2013)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Unique names!

Quote Originally Posted by catrules View Post
    Please don't call your daughter 'Blubell'. Think past them being a cute baby to a 40 yr old woman. How would they feel as a police officer or a lawyer etc introducing themselves 'hi I'm bluebell'!
    I met a bluebell once. Took me a few minutes to realise that actually was her name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the names you like are beautiful as will be your baby im sure I must admit I always remember the kids with the unusual names in the park. Ignore the haters...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Unique names!

I think who you are and what you do makes you unique. Not the name your parents have you!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

MissSookyLaLa  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Unique names!

Quote Originally Posted by bellapaigesmum View Post
    I wanted a name that wasn't common and that I didn't hear much, I have a Bella Paige who is now more common since twilight but she was certainly born before that, I have a boy Charlie Joshua and our latest addition is Layla rose.

One name I wanted was Esmerelda but dp wouldn't go for it.
    A few of your names are becoming more popular and on my search for something that isn't around I looked at the top 50 names, if it wasn't on there it went on my list if it was I moved on but it's old names that don't get used much anymore
    This is a perfect example of how names don't stay unique for long! Charlie & Layla are so common these days, but obviously when you used them they weren't. But they are still lovely names so who really cares?

I do agree with other PP though regarding spelling. I really dislike people making up their own versions of correct names. Nothing wrong with it, but just not for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kalu makes me think of Kahlua and Blubell made me think Blue-balls. Sorry not a fan at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am really surprised a name like Malakai is becoming 'popular'. To me personally, it seems fairly exotic and I can't imagine it would suit just any kid.

I'm not a fan of Kalu for a girl, sorry OP.

I prefer more traditional names but ones that aren't madly popular. Traditionally spelt.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Unique names!

I love the name Malakai, but I know that if I ever used it, I'd only call him Kai haha.
    And of your girls names, I think Chace/Chase is cute!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Unique names!

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    1. I'm not sure what this even means. Of course it's your opinion, but that doesn't make it valid. Obviously I intended to challenge your opinion.

2. The increasing popularity of naming a child with the sole purpose of providing them with some kind of uniqueness or individuality is based on a pretty flawed premise. What happens when someone else dares to use the name? Oops, you're not unique anymore.

Giving a child a weird name doesn't ensure they will live some spectacular life. For heaven's sake think outside the box... Teach them to play the piccolo, take them to build libraries in third world countries, work on cold fusion. These are the makings of uniqueness and individuality, not setting your child up to be called "Blubble" for the rest of their life.
    I don't think any of this really matters.
    I posted for the OP.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Harliben For This Useful Post:

lucymoo  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You choose a name you like .. Some people like names that are a bit diff .. Usually because they are a bit diff ..
    We could never have a Jane or Bill ... It's not us ..
    I could never name a child something that would be a hindrance for them as an adult