+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When your friends kid and yours just whinge constantly......

When they meet up EVERYTIME.....

For a while I have felt our kids have a little bit of a clash of wills and personality......ok tbh I think her kid is a bit of a sook...my child merely looks like he will take a toy off friends child him and he starts bawling....really bawling. This does not really happen when my child plays with other kids I have noticed too.

for various reasons she often has to bring her child with her and so kid free meet ups aren't possible a lot if the time....and we want our kids to be mates etc...we have been friends for a very long time...

ive done some research about ways to minimise the conflict btw the two kids ie limit amount and type of toys, have two identical toys....limit the time of the meet ups, give them periods of time outs away from each other....but it still takes like three plus hours etc before they can play without constant fighting and screaming over toys....

problem is, she is moving and has suggested she will come and stay for whole weekends...tbh while I would enjoy her company I'm secretly horrified ....I can only handle a few hours of these two together .....but what can I say " oh sorry you're kid is a sook I can't hack him" .........

how do u maintain the friendship ? When the kids fight so much... It s the fighting gets on my nerves to the point that im starting to dislike visits-and worse dislike the child..i hate to admit it I feel so ashamed myself. IM hoping they will grow out of it.....but worried that it only seems to happen with this one child so not sure....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: When your friends kid and yours just whinge constantly......

How old are the children? Tbh calling a child a sook irritates me. Some kids are more sensitive than others and that's ok, the majority of the time they cannot help it, its just who they are.

My oldest and my best friends oldest used to clash, my son was 2 and hers was 4. They would fight, whinge, and generally be a bit of hard work. Now they are 4.5 and 7 and they are best buds and play amazingly well together.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (08-01-2013),Happy2be3  (08-01-2013),Luna Lovegood  (08-01-2013),MissMuppet  (08-01-2013),Renn  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

In in the same boat out kids are 2.5 and 3 and hers is a sook! Cries all the time to get what she wants, cries when she doesn't get what she wants, cries when my son won't give her they you she wants because he is playing with it and I tell her to wait, cries when I ask her to help clean up, just cries all day long and it drives me insane. Plus her mum is soft and gives into the crying.

Only advice is if they do stay go out. Go to a indoor play centre or pool or park so they can do their own thing.

Hugs, it's hard!

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I also have a g/f who's daughter is a month younger than mine (both 3) and they fight all day and over everything!
    Our issue is that her daughter is her youngest by 6years and so she has learnt to be tough as she has to be with 2 much older brothers. Mine is my eldest and is a sensitive soul. So I'm the mum with the "sook".

It's hard especially if your friend is not as on top of it as you are, have tried taking to your friend about the issues and tackling it together? If your both on the same page and working together to get them to play nicely it may be easier and if nothing else you'll feel like you have some support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My best friends little girl was exactly the same. Was so emotional over anything and everything, used to wear me out after a day. But now she has grown out of it and plays happily with no sooking. Give it some time she will outgrow it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm going to play devils advocate here-I was in a similar situation a few years ago.
    DD is sensitive, and with this one friend was sooky all the time at our play dates, my friend started to complain about it all the time and I was really frustrated, that she didn't see how rough her kid was.
    So after some heated conversations, the situation didn't get better her DD got more rough, which resulted in more bruises and tears for my DD, so I felt I had no choice but to put some distance between us.

I guess what I'm rambling on about is some of us are more sensitive then others, just as kids, they don't all have to be loud, and outgoing.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

2boofulgals  (10-01-2013),Bennos Mummy  (08-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    How old are the children? Tbh calling a child a sook irritates me. Some kids are more sensitive than others and that's ok, the majority of the time they cannot help it, its just who they are.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub
    This! My DD2 will cry at the drop of a hat. She is not a sook, she simply just hasn't got the skills to express her emotions any other way (she is 2.5).

We have friends with a little boy a year older and he only has to look at DD2 and she will start crying. But give it a few hours and they are fine.

It's frustrating but the kids aren't doing it to be annoying or what ever. They are just kids! Sometimes we just need to suck it up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is 18 months old, and is far from a "sook" but is very difficult in social situations at the moment because she can't express what she wants and feels apart from by crying. She cry's a lot - but she's not over sensitive, she's just very headstrong and wants what she wants.

I can assure you, it is much harder for the parent of the crying child than it is for you. A little bit of understanding goes a long way.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

2boofulgals  (10-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (08-01-2013)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    This! My DD2 will cry at the drop of a hat. She is not a sook, she simply just hasn't got the skills to express her emotions any other way (she is 2.5).

We have friends with a little boy a year older and he only has to look at DD2 and she will start crying. But give it a few hours and they are fine.

It's frustrating but the kids aren't doing it to be annoying or what ever. They are just kids! Sometimes we just need to suck it up.
    I agree.

My DD doesn't cry. She's very quiet so in the middle. Not pushy or bossy but not overly sensitive.

However I think calling a child a sook is a bit over the top.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I'm going to play devils advocate here-I was in a similar situation a few years ago.
    DD is sensitive, and with this one friend was sooky all the time at our play dates, my friend started to complain about it all the time and I was really frustrated, that she didn't see how rough her kid was.
    So after some heated conversations, the situation didn't get better her DD got more rough, which resulted in more bruises and tears for my DD, so I felt I had no choice but to put some distance between us.

I guess what I'm rambling on about is some of us are more sensitive then others, just as kids, they don't all have to be loud, and outgoing.
    I agree here sorry. Not all kids are going to be rough and emotionally tough. If I was your friend I would probably not be happy with my child being called a sook! With DD's friends if dd was to snatch toys etc causing the other child to cry I wouldn't fob it off as there child being sooky. I would talk to my child and teach her that behaviour is not acceptable. I'm sorry but it annoys me when people don't try to teach there children how to play nicely and just blame the 'sooky kid'.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jensha For This Useful Post:

2boofulgals  (10-01-2013),Bennos Mummy  (08-01-2013),Gandalf  (08-01-2013),MissMuppet  (08-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (08-01-2013),Renn  (08-01-2013),sparklebug  (08-01-2013)