+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default the demands of IVF and Working Full Time??

I agree with pp on not telling just yet. I start work at 8/8.30am and was never late for work due to bloods / ultrasounds. I took 2 days off for EPU claiming "gastro" and then had ET at 7am and went straight into one of the biggest most important meetings of my career!! (That was the very first day I spent with my DS on board!!!)
    Try it for a cycle or two and then tell work if you feel you need to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its definitely are hard one.. to tell or not to tell. I decided not to tell, and I just told my boss I have some health issues and I will be having a few appointments coming up. She was fine with it. On the mornings I had my blood test and scan, I would come into work 1hr late and either make up the time by coming in the next morning an hour earlier etc. My egg pick up is on Wed, so I told my boss on Friday that I had to go to hospital for a small op and might need 2 weeks off to recover LOL as I wanted to rest as much as possible after ET. I then asked if I could work from home, while recovering and she was more than happy to give me a lap top with remote access! so I am stoked with that! good outcome for both!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

As its your first cycle you could just say that you are currently having some tests don't or a "procedure" you don't have to say what it is.

Unfortunately ivf can take a long time and once you tell them, you can't untell them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Strawberry55  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have now done 4 cycles without work knowing. Have managed to not be late after scans and bloods and have taken SL or AL for pick up and transfer. It is getting difficult now because prior to ivf I hardly had any time off for SL. Will try another cycle soon and still won't say anything as I don't think my boss will be understanding. It is a personal decision though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I worked through our initial cycles some 5 years ago and was extremely 'fragile' and overwhelmed by it all. We've taken a few years off and this time discussed it and decided to do it differently. i have been upfront with my new employer, who was amazingly supportive and backed me completely in my decision to step down from a stressful management position and only work part time. They have tailored my role and accommodated me within the business.
    Most businesses now chant a balance and family first culture... some wontwalk the talk, but you may be surprised!
    I can feel a peacefulness within myself and have never been so stress free. I am about to start my second cycle and know that this stint of rounds i am truely putting myself first and am in a better emotional place to give this every possible chance of success.
    Everyone is different. Our tolerance, strength levels and emotions. I regretted telling alot of family, friends and work colleagues when we did this years ago. I have told very few and everyone else believess ive just made some 'life choices' (including family)
    My advise is follow your mind. You're body will let you know what is right for you ... dont fight it, put yourself first... my darling husband is so completely supportive in me doing so.
    All the best.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'm a nanny so have been taking work with me, because I start at 7 I can't have bloods/scans done. I have Fridays off and luckily have so far had everything on a Friday. I don't want to tell my bosses as I think they'll freak out and start looking for a new nanny or something. I think I will take sick leave for EPU and possibly ET depending on when it is.

I rarely take sick leave so I don't feel guilty taking any.

I'm not sure at what point I would feel like I have to tell them honestly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies ladies, sorry for the delayed follow up. I ended up telling my boss, he was supportive which was a shock, didn't ask too many questions (and still doesn't) yet anyways, I start work anywhere between 6 and 7 so if I was to come in late it would be noticeable unfortunately. I did notice a huge weight lifted from my shoulders after I told him, that I would need time off here and there and a lot would be last minute. Although I seem to be managing it all i think it's easier than having constant questions on why I'm always "sick" from work. It kind of helped me, however now if we have o have further cycles I may actually think ahead and apply for a few weeks off. I can't seem to manage working all day and trying to concentrate when I can think about is every feeling/ache/emotion I feel pass.