+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default the demands of IVF and Working Full Time??

Hi Ladies,

Apologies in advance if this has already been a thread recently/before but It's first day back at work for the new year and my head is all over the place. We are doing our first round of IVF Jan/Feb, and I've been reading my million pieces of paperwork and it says i will have to go in for blood tests and ultrasounds etc 3 days a week etc, and i am aware of day surgery for retreival and transfer of eggs/embryos - Having said this, I'm pooping myself about approaching my boss about this.

I work in a engineering company full of blokes, and my manager is someone whom i have only in the last month or so become a little more comfortable with. I don't want to shout it out from the rooftops that we are doing IVF, however i don't think i can cover it up with another medical story given that i will be late for work quite frequently and needing days off etc.

I'm so confused, as i want to do the right thing by hubby and I and also by my employer.. What/How did you tell your employer that you were going for IVF/Needed time off etc?

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi there - do you work close to your fertility clinic? I chose not to tell anyone at work but I was lucky that I worked in the city and my clinic was also in the city about 10min walk.

Blood tests were done early in the morning between 7-9am so I would so the test and get into work no problems. For the days i needed off, I took annual leave in advance so it was booked in. I also tried to fit things in during my lunch break and tell my manager I had a doctors appointment so might be a little bit late getting back.

Good luck with your IVF journey...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I stressed about this at first too. But my clinic did bloods and scans early in the morning (ask yours if they can do this too) and in the end I needed a day off for egg pickup and a few hours off for transfer. I did not tell my work -- I just called in sick for EPU and said I had a Dr appt for transfer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi

I did tell my employer and fortunately they are being great about it. They are happy for me to take time off whenever I need to. For me, keeping it a secret was more stressful than putting it out there. I know that not everybody has that luxury though.

My boss is female and we had no issues discussing it. The other directors are male and they rarely mention it. It's often referred to by them as my 'personal circumstances'...which always makes me laugh.

Like the other posters said....most of the appointments can be done early in the day and they are pretty quick. I was rarely late for work. Just be aware that the dates for pickup and transfer, and even some BT's and US's often don't become definite until you get closer to them. That tripped me up a bit in my planning around work!

Thanks
    Reviews

I told my employer at the time as I was full time. I don't want to but didn't want to lie and would have been way to hard to cover up as we were a small office. My boss was a woman and really nosey. So I made out that I was confiding in only her and have we updates on how things were going and she loved it and so because of that was super accommodating.

I did end up leaving and getting a part time job after awhile so I could focus on IVF more and stress less!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same stress. Like the others have said, when you get to blood tests and scans these can be done first thing in the morning

I needed time off for both EC and ET.
    The literature says you only need a day off for EC, which is definitely true as its a minor operation. You also might want to consider how you react to general anesthetic. I had lap surgery months before hand and the EC was a walk in the park compared but Ive heard other people say it can impact.

The other thing I didnt consider was ET. MY FS scheduled them mid morning which is not great for work. I scheduled some "meetings" in my diary so no one ever knew. Im lucky I only work about 30 minutes PT from the clinic.

Its definitely something to think about. We were lucky and hit the jackpot first time but not sure how I would have kept it up longer term

Thanks
    Reviews
    I start work at 6:00am and the most convenient place for me to do tests ect is at Kent st as going through Genea. I work at least a hr train ride from city to work and since they open at 7am it's going to be a bit of a pain. Will most likely have to make up some hours here and there though planning to also use some sick days since have plenty. For day surgery and transfer will take a day or two off each time then if still not feeling the best use sick leave and go get a doc certificate so. Dint have to use all annual leave. It sort of sux that you have to use annual leave. Im currently waiting for AF to arrive to start our first cycle, they are definitey on their way the bloating is crazy! Going to be difficult to do needles so early in the morning when I have to leave for work 5am. Ah the joys,

Thanks
    Reviews

It's a tough one. You might like to do the first cycle and then see how you go?

Working while doing ivf can be hard. You get used to the blood tests and scans every morning and if you don't have a complicated egg pick up, you might only need a day or two off for that.

It all depends on how you respond to the drugs. I found I had nausea and terrible headaches which made work harder. It's good to take a few days off after the transfer if you can.

Perhaps you could just tell your work that you have some medical appointments coming up and leave it at that for now? Your clinic will give you doctors certificates.

Best of luck to you. Hope you get lucky first try.

Thanks
    Reviews

My first cycle I just turned up to work late and stayed back to make up the time. It wasn't unusual for people at my work to do this so wasn't an issue. I took the day off sick for EPU and ET and they were none the wiser. Went back to work for a week, Then I got late onset ohss! I told them it was a kidney infection.

3 cycles later work still doesn't know. But this time I told them I was having an operation and have taken the whole cycle as medical leave. I conceived my dd from that first cycle and cycles since have been increasingly difficult with higher doses of meds, working, managing a toddler and just generally being a mum and wife trying to keep everything running. So i made the decision to take the whole cycle off this time to focus on me as much as i can without the worry of work. It's tough but all you can do is make the best of the situation and work out who is going to be helpful and who will be detrimental and if you should tell them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My experience was timing of blood tests etc can be a bit unpredictable sometimes, but as others have said worth talking about that with your clinic. If it is going to be an issue, then perhaps a discussion with your employer to set expectations would make you feel less stressed? You don't necessarily have to go into details about what treatment you are having if you don't want to. You could simply describe it as a medical issue that is going to require some ongoing treatment. Would that work for you?

babybelief