+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Would you be annoyed?

One of my friends is getting married. We don't get to see each other often but will text fb etc. we are more than acquaintances but not besties ( somewhere Inbetween )
    Anyway some girls are organizing her hens, The texted asked for a deposit of $30 , I assumed that was it for the night so I've just paid. ( thinking you can buy your own drinks to suit your budget or in my case hide the fact im not drinking )
    I was only going to make a small appearance anyway to say hi as I'll be 10 weeks. Obviously I won't be drinking and know I'm sleepy so to me $30 was reasonable for the atmosphere and a quick hi.
    I've now got a text saying its $130 total ( so I owe $100) and more detailed event info. Pretty much ( yes I know it's a hens) the $$ are going towards alcohol.
    I've replied back I can't go now as I can't afford the $100, but to keep the $30 and I'll catch up another time.
    Truthfully I don't want to spend that amount to only be there for 2-3 hrs drinking soft drink and avoiding nibbles. ( be to sick to not go at all, $30 I'll part with $130 I'm not comfortable with)

Ps yes the girl organizing it knew I was pregnant.

So what I'm annoyed at is we didn't get the full costs until after and the description of the night was not detailed to begin with either.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I'd be annoyed too at not having full disclosure. Even if they didn't know the total cost in the beginning they really should have given out info on what the night entailed, what they planned to spend the money on, and an estimate at full expense.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (07-01-2013),LoveLivesHere  (07-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have checked before paying the $30.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would absolutely be annoyed too. Can you still just make an appearance? I mean you shouldn't have to pay full amount when you were just wishing to go along for a short while, to say hi.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Could you talk to the organiser and let her know your concerns? Chances are she wouldn't have a problem with you paying less since you aren't drinking. It's possible that with all the organising it hasn't occurred to her (especially if she hasn't been pregnant before).

Thanks
    Reviews

BThe original description seemed like it would be $30 worth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh ok, you said they asked for a "deposit" of $30 in the OP. To me, the word "deposit" means it is definitely more than $30 worth!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (07-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Usually a deposit means something down now and the rest later so they probably also assumed you would know that?
    You would never get dinner and a night out in Sydney for $30 ( not sure where you are!) so I would never think $30 would be a total cost so I suppose yes they should have added more detail but I would personally have asked more info ( obviously knowing a hens night usually includes alcohol and the bulk of the $ would go on that and you won't be drinking)
    Maybe like pp said you can call in for 30 mins and say hi?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ABigDeepBreath View Post
    Could you talk to the organiser and let her know your concerns? Chances are she wouldn't have a problem with you paying less since you aren't drinking. It's possible that with all the organising it hasn't occurred to her (especially if she hasn't been pregnant before).
    For an extra $30 ( so $60 in total) I can still go to her house ( she's planning topless waiter )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

$130 is a bit rich without telling people up front. Its awkward having to ask how much, it should have been outlined in the initial invite.