+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 10month old under General Anaesthetic

Hi all
    Unfortunately my 10month old DS is having a broken tooth removed tomorrow (chipped it on a shelf and pulp exposed and not enough tooth left to try and save it). He will be going under GA and unable to eat for 6 hours prior to going under. I am so upset about him having to lose one of his bottom little teethy pegs already, and even more so knowing that he won't be able to feed and more than likely be screaming before even getting to the surgery. I was wondering if anyone else has had a baby/child under GA and how they managed with being unable to eat beforehand? Appreciate any advice! Thanks for reading.

ETA He will be first up for procedure in the morning but still feeds throughout the night ALOT and usually has a big feed of boob and solids in the morning
    Last edited by IhaveYourToaster; 07-01-2013 at 13:03.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD had grommets inserted at 13mo. She had a 7am admission with fasting from 12am and no water from 5am. I woke and fed her at 11.30pm because she usually woke about 5-6am for a feed and I didn't relish a hour hour car trip on my own with screaming hungry toddler!
    She went under the GA about 8.10 and out about 8.30.
    She was fine while we were waiting on the ward because there were lots of new things to watch.
    Afterwards she was really cranky and upset for about 1/2 hour. The nurses expected us to cuddle on the bed, but she wanted none of that. I just stripped off her gown and cuddled with her while we walked around trying to distract her. She didn't want food or water, but then had a big drink when calm and ate some food.
    Be prepared for not going in to theatre while they administer the GA (each hospital differs).
    Each baby will react differently. Just ask questions/assistance of nurses when needed. My DD was all smiles and waves as she left. She was clingy for a few days afterwards.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for your reply Munchkinsmum! Yes I will probably do similar with the 11pm feed, that's a good idea. I will have to cut him off after that and rock him or pat him back to sleep.
    Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds had grommets at 15 months and I was terrified of the fasting too as he was still having a bottle of milk at 2 - 3am and another at 7 - 8am. But, we fed him late at night, then picked him up out of his cot still asleep and drove to the hospital getting there before 7am. I think all the new stuff to see distracted him quite well. He was first on the list and he was quite hungry afterwards, enjoying a full bottle & then some sandwiches quite happily. He had reflux so he had to have a general too which was scary in theory, but really it was all fine in the end. For a tooth thing I imagine it would be super quick so that will make recovery a lot easier.

All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: 10month old under General Anaesthetic

my two yo had a ga and luckily he was no longer having bottles or milk but usually had a big 3 course breakfast lol. that was his favourite meal. and we lived a two hour drive from hospital. i think cause we took him straight from asleep in bed to the car it broke the routine? as he was so much better than expected. once we got there the wait room was full of kids so that kept him pretty occupied. obviously the other kids were fasting too so as no food or drink was seen he seemed to cope much better than we expected. good luck

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD had grommets at 10months. As others said I gave her a feed at about 11pm.
    Her op was at 7am and I'd heard that putting the mask on for them to go to sleep wasn't pleasant so I made DH do it. I pulled out the 'I gave birth....this is your job" line and went and got a coffee whilst he did it, I figured ignorance is bliss at this point and I didn't want to see her distressed. I came back less than 10mins later, DH was a mess - said it was awful as she fought it, so I'm glad I didn't have to witness it. Not telling you this to scare you, and I cant compare it to anyone else but thought I'd warn you.
    Op took 20mins then we went in to see her. She was drowsy but very cuddly. We gave her small sips from her bottle and they gave her some panadol.
    Within an hour we were in a cafe having breakfast and she was smiling to everyone, with NO sign she'd just been under at GA.
    It affected DH more than anyone...although he is a big softie when it comes to DD. I've since been told the 'I gave birth' line is no longer valid

Hope all goes well tomorrow for you x

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for your responses Mim and Grumpysmurf. I'm glad your little ones coped well.
    Karen2010 thank you for the info re the gas, I wasn't aware of this. I think this sounds like something I would have my DH do too. I couldn't even handle the dentist telling me he had to have his tooth out so that sounds very hard.

Have made sure he has had a big dinner and even had dessert tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm so glad I saw this thread. My 2 yr old dd has to get a tooth removed and I was stressing about her going under ga. We have an appointment with the pediatric dentist in a week so we will know more then. poor little bubbas.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wannaBamumma View Post
    I'm so glad I saw this thread. My 2 yr old dd has to get a tooth removed and I was stressing about her going under ga. We have an appointment with the pediatric dentist in a week so we will know more then. poor little bubbas.
    I'm sorry to hear your little DD is going through the same thing. Which paediatric dentist are you seeing?

We are currently driving our little man home as he sleeps. I had to cuddle him while they put the gas on him and he was out pretty quickly. The procedure didn't take too long, 30mins maybe. the dentist gave us vouchers for a coffee while they worked on him. He recovered well and had a big overdue feed after some cuddles.
    He normally feeds constantly overnight so really last night was the toughest part. I gave him a big feed at 11.30pm though he woke constantly after and I had to rock him several times, though he would wake when I tried to put him down.
    But all in all, it's done and he is doing well and I'm glad it's over. Dentists and anaesthetist were all very lovely which made it a lot easier.
    I really appreciate all your responses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great to hear all went well with your little man...you all deserve a nice relaxing day and some sleep. Well done with the gas, you are braver woman than I x