+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Toddler sleep routine...?

Has anyone experienced a previously good sleep routine to a bad one after your toddler went from cot to bed?

Why do people always say or assume a later bedtime will result in a later wake time in the morning? This simply isn't true. My toddler was asleep by 6.30 a year ago but now I'm lucky if he's asleep by 8.30pm. He no longer wakes at 6am, it's 5am these days. He is clearly still tired in the morning but even when I put him back in his room he won't go back to sleep, just plays with his toys. By 9.30-10am he is rubbing his eyes, and struggling.

Is there anything I can do to change his routine? I would live with it except I know he's not getting enough sleep. I think some mornings he wakes even earlier than 5... When it's no longer daylight saving that will be 4am! It's nuts!

Also, I've cut back his day sleeps to no longer than 1.5 hrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is he?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had this problem with DD. she was ok in the bed for a few months and then all went peaR shaped, very similar to what you described. So I put her back in the cot! She goes to bed at 7 and sometimes goes straight to sleep and some times plays for a awhile. If it goes on longer than an hour I go in and get cross and that usually does the trick. She is 2.5

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops he is 28 months... Not sure he will go back in his cot now... I guess I could try it.

Thanks
    Reviews

You might need to cut the day nap altogether? My DD started fighting her sleep till 9:30/10pm and waking up at 6am when she previously slept 7pm-7am. We cut out her nap and she is back to sleeping longer. When she has a nap at daycare she refuses to sleep till around 11pm and still gets up early!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Yep, put my son back in his cot even though he was climbing out. His sleep has deteriorated over the past few months. It has gotten better, but it's hit and miss some nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats BEP!

With DS1 he went into a big boys bed at 2.5 yo and for a month it was great but then he worked out he could get out of bed and it was a nightmare for a couple of months. Just trying to keep him in his bed was driving me nutty! He would also get up really early and there was no amount of coaxing to get him to sleep in.

He did grow out of it but it took a lot of persistance. I also couldnt put him into a cot again as DS2 was using it.

With DS2 I didnt put him into a bed until he was a couple of months after 3yo as I knew it would be a nightmare keeping him in bed and as he wasnt climbing out I saw no reason to get him out of the cot. He was such an awesome night sleeper that I just didnt want to rock the boat. When he did go to a bed he was old enough to reason with and he just loved his bed so much we didnt have any issues. I really think being that bit older before going to a bed made a huge difference.

With all of my kids I could put them to bed at 11pm and they would still wake at 6am. They have awesome body clocks

My neice is 26 months and has gone to a bed and SIL is having all sorts of issues keeping her in bed. She wakes throughout the night and roams the house. She is really struggling with it.

If you can put him back in his cot maybe try that to see if it makes any difference to his sleeping habits. If it doesnt make any difference you may just need to persist with it.

Just note....they do grow out of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, does he still have a day sleep? I find my little one is starting to drop hers some days, already at 22 months (noooooooooo!). When she has one some days her pattern is similar to the one you have described - up very late at night then waking way too early for my sanity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone! I really feel for DS as he is clearly tired through the day. I also feel for me as I cannot function with 5am wake up calls and I'm really done with it tbh.

Yeah I tried dropping his day naps... He just would fall asleep the second we got in the car to go somewhere, or he'd just fall asleep on the lounge around 4pm and I could not wake him for the life of me! I'm utterly at a dead end with this at this point. I think I will set his cot up again... He's only just gone to sleep now after 1.5 hrs of settling, reading, lying together....