+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default HELP! 9 year old and emotional tantrums/playing the victim/martyr

For me, I sought help when DD's issues with being 'oversensitive' started to effect our daily lives. Usually an OT can diagnose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes Ive heard of it, but no I dont think she has that. I think that you can pretty much find a diagnosis for every childhood quirk or behaviour IYWKIM?
    I dont think her situation is "bad" enough to warrent clinical help as its a stages thing, she can be great for days or weeks and then get super sensitive again. Especially when big things come up, which they do.
    I have had her in counselling before, and like Danielle said, it made her more anxious and uncomfy and she didnt partake very well in the sessions, and was very, very adamant that she did not want to do this again.
    I think with us, its just going to be a reinforcing of no, its not ALWAYS, ALL day, and EVERYONE while going through and talking about what her experiences are and reinforcing that shes actually a damned awesome kid. Putting things into perspective is a good tool with her as she is very smart and articulate when rational.
    I will google some more tools and look further into sensory processing issues though, its been a long time since I did this I will admit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I just went through the checklist again, brutally and no, she doesnt have any of those issues apart from the emotional and self-regulation sections, but I feel that as she is still essentially a young child (and the self-regulation bit applied for when she was a baby) that will come when she matures, however I will be keeping an eye on things and looking further into it.
    Last edited by LotusMum; 08-01-2013 at 08:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am wondering if it may be hormonal? My 9.5yo DD has been having spates of "life is unfair", "you always blame me" yada yada, for 6mths or so...she is most def going into puberty ie getting BO, budding breats etc and I have noticed she is more emotional, but it is periodic, like a few days at a time. Its like her hormones spike for a few days, and then settle down (or she learns to cope!). I try to be patient while re-enforcing that maybe she is being just a little irrational
    Just a thought...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would double check that she definately doesn't have any reflux pain too.

DD#3 is also quite smart and actually believe it or not can be very mature even when she was having a lot of meltdowns. There was no talking to her in the midst of one of course but very soon afterwards she could see that everyone doesn't always pick on her etc. Definately keep drawing her attention to the fact that the always isn't really always.