+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: What did labour (contractions) feel like to you?

lol. Oh dear... what have I gotten myself into?!?

Good luck, duckduckgoose!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Basically a Braxton Hick, like a very tight squeeze in my belly to the point I couldn't breath or talk, then also a very dull pain like period pain but more like I was being stabbed with a blunt knife.
    Then with every wave of contraction I'd also feel like I was about to vomit, I felt so sick, probably the worst part, I hate feeling nauseous.
    At pushing stage which was my favourite part, I'd feel the braxton hick (x10) but instead of the intense pain below and nausea, I'd get a feeling to push instead. I still felt intense pain but the pushing relieved it.
    Then the ring of fire!!!! OMG worst part worst part
    Then heaven
    I also loved the placenta delivery, like it's a baby coming out, but it's not lol I don't think I cared it literally plopped out both times!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What did labour (contractions) feel like to you?

I was induced with gel, the foleys catheter and then drip. Early on felt like bad period pain untill I was about 4-5cms so very easy to cope with. Then the drip kicked in and I dialated to 10cms in an hour contractions right on top of eachother. To me it felt like it hurt everywhere, like being torn in half :-( I remember climb the bed and the wall trying to "get away" from the waves of pain.

But once they said I could push it was sooo much better. I don't remember any pain during that time. I just pushed down into it and focused everything I had on it. DH says I was in this zone lol! Anyway I pushed for 1hr and half and the only pain I remember was the burning ring of fire but I didn't care cause I knew then it was nearly over!!!

A PP said its like an athlete must feel after a marathon and I think that's a great description!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont remember where the actual pain was...just remember getting delirious and losing time. I went to hospital on Wed morning with contractions 4 mins apart, and had DD on Friday night. I've got NO idea what happened to Thursday

I've got a few weeks until I go through it again with #2 and I'm actually not worried...which is strange as my DH recalls me saying during labour the first time "just murder me at least then the pain will end". I used to be envious of those who had quick labours, but have since come to the realisation that pain is pain whether its long or short - I've normally got a good pain threshold, but am useless when it comes to birth. My friend cries at a papercut but has her babies with only a wheatpack from the microwave as her painrelief - so who knows....as long as bub comes out healthy at the end thats all that counts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me the pain was all in the front lower abdomen...much like period pain but on steroids. It would build and build till my whole world narrowed to only my tummy and breathing through the intense stabbing pressure.

Pushing felt like I was doing the biggest poo that ever was lol. It still hurt - my bub twisted at some point from anterior to posterior but the pain stayed at the front. I pushed for two hours cause he got stuck. Pushing for me was worse than the contractions. It just felt like I was doing it all wrong (the midwives didn't tell me he'd turned and got stuck which is why I was struggling until the very end when they had to call a doctor in).

To be honest though THE worst pain for me was when the midwife pressed on my stomach after delivering the placenta. She had to ask my husband to hold mei down because I was trying desperately to throw her off me lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    mine felt like period pain right up until i got to 9cm then it started to hurt. keep in mind that i have really painful period pain normal so contractions were a breeze compared to them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Dd1 - induced posterior - like I was being hit with a hammer on my lower back

Dd2 - spontaneous posterior - build up from cramping to tightening across my lower back. It only got really back in transition when it felt again like a hammer to my spine - and then she turned!!! Pain but really manageable with this intense urge to push.

Thanks
    Reviews

DS1 I can't really remember, spontaneous labour but augmented so on a drip. I was loosing it by 5 cm and emerg c-section at 6cm (fetal distress)
    DS2 - bad cramps building over 20+ hours, they felt like all the muscles were tightening or cramping I suppose. I could breathe through them and be fine in bw contractions until 9cm I guess. I lost it then, pain was unbearable and I was panicking. also I think adrenaline shot up, hindering my yoga breaths haha. I was feeling quite smug up until that point to be honest. Bubs born around 90 mins later after gas & peth

ETA pushing didn't hurt as much (pethadine helped i guess) but was really hard work. But I didn't drop the 'f bomb' until I had the injection to help the placenta come out
    Last edited by peasmum; 09-01-2013 at 14:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Terrible whole tummy/back cramps lasting 1 - 2 minutes that stopped me talking/moving and I would call a 9 out of 10 in severity ... well, that was just after I had the gel put in, and I had these every 3 minutes for 8 hours and they did NOTHING! The next day they broke my waters and the pain went suddenly to 13 out of 10 and I had to scream in agony, but otherwise it was the same pain. I lasted 2 hours before I got the epidural. I went from not dilated to fully dilated in 4 hours - the last hour the epidural was working beautifully but I was shaking uncontrollably and had terrible nausea (both were because I was dilating quickly and getting ready to push bubba out).

Thanks
    Reviews

It was constant and felt like someone was trying to birth out of my lower back!!! Every 2 mins for over 8 hours.

Showers helped. Wish they would have given me an epi when I asked!!!!