+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Post-partum Thyroid - anyone had it?

Hi Ladies

DS is 6 months old and for the past 3 months (min) I have had the following symptoms:

Excessive hair loss - chunks of hair come out when I brush and wash. I've lost a lot of hair at the front, so I now have bald patches. Hair is starting to grow back, but the hairloss doesn't seem to be getting any less.

Night sweats

Insomnia - I am so tired all the time, but I can't sleep

Irritability and mood swings - I thought this was from no sleep, but thinking perhaps there is another issue

Mild depression - again, thought this was from tiredness (could well be). I just don't have the energy that I had prior to this all happening and it all seems to be getting on top of me.

Weight loss without doing much at all - 9kg in 5 months

The thing is that the above can all be normal post-partum symptoms. Has anyone been diagnosed with post-partum thyroid and how do they test it - over active or under? How long did it last? I am starting work in 6 weeks and in a mild panic that I won't be able to cope.

DS has his 6 month check this week so I will make an appointment for me as well. Just interested to see how common this is, or if anyone has had symptoms like this and all tests are normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Post-partum Thyroid - anyone had it?

A load of my hair falls out from 4 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Angiebear - OMG I was excited to read your post. I have only this week been diagnosed with either post partum thyroiditis or Graves, but most likely the former.

My Dr wants me to have a nuclear scan to determine which it is, however I am reluctant to have it due to the use of radioactive isotopes. I don't want to expose my 17 week old son to any radioactive material. Now just waiting on a response from my GP to see if the test is really necessary.

Just wondering weather you had any developments with your symptoms and how you are going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a hyperthyroid after my second baby which resolved itself. My only sign was a really high hr.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

laned  (23-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi AngieBear and IndigoJ & laned,
    Hopefully you will still receiving notification that I am writing this post. Just wondering how long your post partum thyroiditis/thyroid issues lasted. I have a 5 month old and have just had my thyroid tested and it is overactive. I have been getting quite anxious and am looking for some answers as to how long it might last? Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hi, mine lasted between 6-8mths

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

chuppacino  (03-12-2013)