User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frothy Poos

our little treasures is offline Gorgeous family wonderful friends <3 life!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Frothy Poos

Hi I have just opened my ds nappy and found a large frothy poo??????????
    My dd had it as well once or twice but I came across a thread w while ago and someone said it means lactose??? So is it alright and why is frothy??
    Disclaimer: My posts are my opinions!! Not yours MINE. I know the truth as it happened to my family and I know my rights. That is all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The few times DD did this as a newborn I just thought it was normal, and even joked to DH how talented she was to be pooing bubbles!

Would love to know the reason.
    Martha
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    But loving this life of mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was chatting to my GP the other day about food alergies and lactose intolerance and she mentioned that green frothy poos may be an indication of such things??

Maybe if it continues get it checked out?

Cheers
    Donna
    Ben 05.05.2005

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Green frothy poos are perfectly normal. They indicate that the baby is consuming more fore milk than hind milk. Basically feeding more provides a higher fat content to your baby from your milk. This is what helps bubs feel satisfied and the combination of lovely rich milk and hormones is what helps them (and you!) relax and sleep. This is another reason why feeding to sleep is so brilliant!

Try this for more info:

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/C...ercesarean.htm
    One piece of advice often give moms struggling with a sleepy baby is to "switch nurse." In this, you wake the baby up frequently by switching from breast to breast often during the nursing period. Although this can be helpful, you want to be sure he does get some extended time on at least one side eventually in a feeding so that he is getting lots of rich hindmilk as well as the initial foremilk. Otherwise baby may experience a condition known as 'foremilk/hindmilk imbalance,' where baby gets the lactose-rich foremilk (which causes lots of gas) and misses out on the fat-rich hindmilk (which helps improve weight gain, helps the baby stool, and satisfies the baby's hunger more long-term).
    Signs of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance can include lots of gas, an unhappy baby, and frothy green stools.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html
    Your breasts don't "flip a switch" at some arbitrary point and start producing hindmilk instead of foremilk. Instead, think of the beginning of a nursing session as being like turning on a hot water faucet.

The first water you get out of the tap isn't usually hot, but cold. As the water runs, it gradually gets warmer and warmer and warmer. This is what happens with the fat content in mom's milk - moms's milk gradually increases in fat content until the end of the feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Janet. In hindsight that helps explain a few things. Though I seem to remember yellow, not green, froth.
    Martha
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    But loving this life of mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks janet the poos are mustardy though?? Bubs has put heaps of wieght on i wonder if it is due to the warm days we have had as thats when most babes will just want the thirst
    Disclaimer: My posts are my opinions!! Not yours MINE. I know the truth as it happened to my family and I know my rights. That is all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the frothy poo is normal and like Janet said a sign of your child drinking more fore milk... encouraging a really deep feed off each breast if helpful. You can tell if they are getting the hind milk by simply expressing some onto your fingers and it will feel very slick due to the high fat content... all great stuff packing into that booby juice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default hmmm

I am a mother of two VERY frothy poo children ... but only when I consumed Milk and they were bf. My son is Highly allergic to milk protein and my daughter who continued the frothiness well onto formula is generally allergic to milk protein and lactose/tate.

If the poo is consistantly frothy get it checked or discuss with an EC nurse/gp as if it is an intolerance coming into summer it may lead to dehydration. I don't mean to alarm but it was very frightening for me to deal with a dehydrated bub when I had no idea why she was. Please discuss it with a professional ... I didn't bf long so it may be normal in bf babies but don't take the chance.
    DS1 5
    DD 3
    DS2 1
    Mum 28

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx he hasnt had another andI Know bout hind milk as fed for 14mnths with dd ds however is big for age so I know he is getting hind milk. However I had a bit of bad #2 yesterday (sorry too much info) so maybe something i ate. He hasnt had frothy since and all back to mustardy rocket poos.
    thanx everyone.