+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Studying whilst pregnant

I studied while preg in 2010 (there was tricky times as I had bad morning sickness) but i still put in the work/effort to catch up if i missed a lecture/tute and got a HD - the semester finished June with maybe an exam in July and baby born in August. I wouldn't go any closer than that... You may end up on bed rest if you have high blood pressure, have an early delivery or just be generally feeling crappy/unmotivated.

Also I went back to study when my daughter was 5 months, it wasnt 'easy' as I demand breasted but definitely manageable and got through it ! In hindsight, it's prob easier than studying with a toddler at home!!

Just a tip, make sure u enrol in subjects that will allow for listening to lectures at home so contact time is as little as possible and make sure u have someone who will be available to come over and watch/entertain/put to sleep your bub while you do assignment work or study during the day (even for 4hrs once/wk) cus just thinking you'll do it at night when they go to bed, doesn't always work - they might not be great sleepers in the evening and itll be likely that you're too tired

Thanks
    Reviews

By the way, both myself and my husband are at uni and have a 2.5yr old and baby due soon ... Time goes so fast, I'm so glad I had 1 semester off while I had a newbie to get to know them and cuddle and learn about being a mum, will definitely do the same this time. But my fiancé won't be having a semester off (he gets paid study leave from work tho)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thank you so much everyone you have put my mind at ease that it's achievable. I'm hoping to take maternity leave a little earlier if we can afford it, so hopefully that will help.

Also I'm studying externally so no going into uni for lectures etc

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Studying whilst pregnant

I did my final year of uni while pregnant then with a newborn. DS was meant to come on the mid year break but decided to come a few days before uni started again. I did a mix of distance and on campus and worked full time while pregnant. It was tough at times especially having a reflux baby who was no a fan of sleep but I was so close to finishing that I couldnt stop.
    I can remember typing assignments with one hand while breastfeeding which was hard but I got there and it was worth it. I believe where there is a will theres a way.
    Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to youmake3 For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (06-01-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'm due when second semester starts this year. It all depends how much other stuff you have going on. I'm not working so I do have time to study and go up to campus and all that, and will negotiate second semester with my tutors to work around bubs and then use the campus day care once or twice a week next year.
    If you're determined enough then you will be fine but if you're a bit iffy on studying then I suggest putting it off until bubs is born and at least a couple months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started my masters just as I found out I was pregnant with my first. I also worked part time through most of my pregnancy, but continued with my studies till two weeks before I was due. I never had a problem, although I am doing a masters by research and could do most of my work at home. After I gave birth I took 6 months off and then just returned part time and started work as a tutor. I am in the arts faculty, so much of my work consists of reading, marking (which is all online) and answering emails (from students wanting extensions). So I can be home most of the time. I am now 8 months pregnant and I plan on not taking leave until just before bub 2 is due. Although I won't be tutoring first semester. But I also won't take as much time off after. I need to get this thesis finished!!
    I think it really depends on what you are studying and how many contact hours you have. An arts degree is obviously easier as you can be in the comfort of your own home and still be working, and most things are done online now too, including submissions and lectures. I'm not sure what uni you are at, but you can also do many subjects by flex or distance, and then you don't even have to attend tutorials. Look into it... and remember baby's are a lot quieter in your belly! But either way I have found this the best time to be studying and then once my girls are a bit older I can get a job, but now I get to spend most of my time around them while they are young. Also remember if you really want to do something then you just make it work! Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Teenz is your course external too? Because mine is part time on campus and I can't change anything on it! Apart from pull out lol, so I'm thinking 'give it a go' at least I can finish one subject ready for next year!!!

The best thing with Uni is getting yourself with disability services for a care plan or study plan! I have one and I get extensions, extra time for my exams etc in a single room if I need it I have epilepsy but my friend has one for anxiety/depression. You just tell them how flustered you are being pregnant and I'm sure they will accommodate! I love adult learning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first whilst at Uni. 2 weeks before the end of year exams. Then I went to part time study for the next couple of years and then back to full time study for the last 2 years. (4 year degree).
    To be honest it was difficult and I feel like I missed out on a lot with her, but in the long run we are all much better off my having gone through and completed my degree even though I was pregnant and then a mum. There were times when I had to bring my little bub into lectures with me because I couldn't afford childcare at that time either, things have changed a bit in that department compared to 11 years ago.
    She didn't feel like she missed out though, she enjoyed spending a couple of hours a day with her Nanna and her cousin, her Nonna too.
    The whole of her schooling life though, because of my job, I've had every school holiday off with her, so definitely was worth it, and money wise we are better off too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Teenz is your course external too? Because mine is part time on campus and I can't change anything on it! Apart from pull out lol, so I'm thinking 'give it a go' at least I can finish one subject ready for next year!!!

The best thing with Uni is getting yourself with disability services for a care plan or study plan! I have one and I get extensions, extra time for my exams etc in a single room if I need it I have epilepsy but my friend has one for anxiety/depression. You just tell them how flustered you are being pregnant and I'm sure they will accommodate! I love adult learning.
    Yep mines external I might see if there are services for me at my uni!

Thank you everyone I have hope I can do this now

Thanks
    Reviews

I want to thank you all too; I'm not pregnant yet but I hope to be next month, which means ill need special consideration from uni (I'm internal, full time) and you have reminded me that I can have allowances made for me for exams and assignments while pregnant, just like when I was recovering from hand surgery last year good luck everyone