+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Studying whilst pregnant

Hi all,

I started studying last year but unfortunately I had to defer. I'd like to recommence this year but the semester doesn't start until March. This means the end of semester won't be until around the birth of bub.

Is this a good idea? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Or should I just wait until after bub is here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

No advice but subscribing as my bub will be due mid session two this year and I have some tough decisions to make.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I started my Masters (by distance) when I was about 6 weeks pregnant. I tried as hard as I could but when I got home from work each day I was too exhausted to think about making dinner, let alone my readings so I deferred. Now I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy, I'm so glad that I deferred as I couldn't imagine sitting down for hours on end reading or completing assessments. My exam period would have finished about 1 week before my due date, and I thought it was just cutting it too close. So I'm going to go back and re-start in October.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi I studied part time through my last pregnancy as I had a son to look after too (new bub is 5 wks old).

Semester one I did two subjects (2 days on campus) and semester two was 3 subjects which had me on campus 4 days. I found the initial part very hard with all day morning sickness, but managed.

Sem 2 subjects finished when I was 35 weeks, and I had exams bw 37 and 38 weeks. I won't lie, it was exhausting, but manageable. Luckily I had a stress and complication-free pregnancy. If there has been pregnancy related problems I would have had to withdraw. In the end I got 2 x high distinctions and a credit!!

I had heaps of family support which obviously helped a lot, giving me time to study or just to rest when I needed.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

I worked full time & did my masters at Sydney Uni with final presentation/report due two days before having my DD (a week early). It can be done....it's just very very hard (especially in 3rd trimester). Glad if I finished then & didn't defer to now though...then it was tiring....now it would be downright impossible!!!! so there's no way I could have gone back to finish!

Thanks
    Reviews

On forgot to add my uni offered special consideration if you had any sort of difficulty or complication -ie extending due dates etc.. I didn't have to use this but was good to know it was available. Imagining most places would be the same... Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Subbing as I'm due in April just got into a new course don't know if I should defer!

Thanks
    Reviews

I finished the last subject of my bachelors degree over a summer semester during my third trimester while working full time in a senior position... Just finished before the birth... That was 5 years ago. It was hard but doable. This time I have deferred my Masters as I was working full time, have a 4 nearly 5 yo dd, pregnant (with some initial complications) and my DH works away, so it was the best thing for me to take a break. Will recommence while on Mat leave - slowly, just 1 subject at a time :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

It can be done...I wrote 50,000 words of my doctoral thesis while pregnant with DS! Good luck OP =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in the 2nd (of 3) years for my undergrad at uni when DH and I found out I was pregnant with DS1. I had him just after exams finished. Continued to study full-time, as my lecturers were so supportive and my classes were either night classes (meaning DH had bub) or short enough that my mum or MIL could watch him for 1.5 hours.

I then fell pregnant mid-way through the final year of my degree with DS2. Once again I stayed full-time. I then went on and studied my Masters full time by distance the year after, this was fabulous, I totally mastered the art of rocking a baby bouncer whilst typing a fabulous assignment hehe - I'm a total advocate for online studies now!

Now I work full time and am studying a Grad Cert part time (online). DH is studying his Masters part-time too and working full time. We have a hectic pace to life, but we wouldn't have it any other way. I pack lunches the night before, prep breakfast, lay out clothes and keep a diary of when everything is due so I remember (it's so easy to accidentally fall behind otherwise). I'm due with #3 in April and will have finished my Grad Cert in Business Admin by then and get to just chill on my 5.5 months of maternity leave, a well deserved break!

I think it's the best thing I've ever done in my life (studying with a young family) - I've gone and educated myself, have as a consequence gained the perfect job (definitely wouldn't be there without my degrees!) and DH and I love being young parents, our boys will be 18, 17 & 15 when we're 40

We ALWAYS dedicate our weekends to no study and no work (unless it's their nap times) and are super dooper organised. You can definitely do it and the best bit is you get to use the line "well when I was pregnant with you / you were a baby, I was studying and getting great grades, what's your excuse?!?" hahaha

Good luck, you can do it!