+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sand Fly Bites

Does anyone know a good cream to treat sand fly and mozzie bites?
    Myself and 2 year old get eaten alive by them and then come up in big welts.
    Also what have you found to be a great preventative other than the usual areoguard as I find this doesn't last long.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure what the best preventative is, everyone seems to have a different one. I too come up in big welts and the itch drives me nuts. The best thing I have had to treat the bites was taking an antihistamine tablet. Takes the itch away, therefore lets them heal quicker. Not sure about a 2 year old though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bepanthum (the nappy rash cream) takes the itch out of mozzie bites almost immediately. Just rub some on to the bite. At least you know it's ok for littlies skin.

I'm not sure about sandfly bites - maybe try Bepanthum or perhaps stingos?

Let me know whether it works for you. It does for us.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sand Fly Bites

Thankyou I will give it a go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: Sand Fly Bites

I cant remember what sanitiser hand gel we use at work but one of my bosses told me to put some on my bites when i was scratching non stop and as soon as i applied it, i was no longer scratching as wasnt itchy.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I lived in the Northern Territory - I developed a serious reaction to these.

I used Tea tree oil repellent (forgotten the brand) and amine or soov on the bites.

These two (the amine and soov) both have lignocaine in them, so take the sting out. Amine has calamine and soov is a clear gel - both are about $10 - but for me were worth it as every time I went out on the boat, I ended up taking antihistamines when I came home, I'd be bathing in coaltar liquid soap and be getting up in the middle of the night to bathe again as the itch would be so bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sand Fly Bites

I love a cream called Eurax which is available from pharmacies (made by Novartis). I get massive welts from mozzies and it works like a dream.
    It's been hard to find lately though but ask in a chemist and see if they have any stock

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my ds is allergic to sandfly bites.
    we have used soov works great he also take an antihistamine when he gets bit as well which helps

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sand Fly Bites

My DD1 is mildly allergic to insect bites too... comes out in welts and itches!

We have a cream from the GP and Clarantyne in the house for when she gets bitten... Some pinetarsol in the bath will do wonders too. We've even put some pinetarsol directly on her bites occasionally too...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, same as above, DD reacts to them badly, so it's soov to stop the itch and phenergan to stop the reaction.