+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Trying for Second and Subsequent babies...

I am about to start IVF to try for baby number 2 after getting lucky and falling first go from ICSI with DS.

I am trying to mentally prepare myself that it might take a while but can't seem to get past the fact that I got pg first time with #1 will mean I fall first time with #2.

How many cycles did you have to do to get your BFP with second or subsequent bubba's? Was your BFP fresh or frozen?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bedlover With our first is took 2 fresh cycles. With our second it was 2 FET and 2 Fresh. With our third it was 6 Fresh and 5 FET. We did have couple of MC also. All our pregnancy's where fresh cycles.

I hope you a very lucky and an FET works for you. Everyone is different and every cycle is different. Good luck with #2 and hope it is a short journey for you.
    Last edited by Samarasmum; 06-01-2013 at 10:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Bedlover I was in a similar position as you. I got my BFP with no1 2nd time on a fresh cycle, and assumed it would be easy 2nd time around too. I was completely wrong as it turned out.

To get our 2nd BFP was 2 years of hell I'm sorry to say. I probably went through about 16 embryos in total (mainly fresh) and didn't get my BFP until we changed FS's as my original FS wasn't prepared to try anything new. We started back on IVF when DD1 was 13 months old and DD2 was born when she was 3 and a half, so yes it took a long time.

I wasn't prepared at all for that and in the end had counselling through the IVF clinic to help deal with it, which was extremely helpful.

Funnily enough when we went back for #3 I got my BFP straight away. I honestly believe my old clinic was over stimulating me and that was why we had so many failures.

One of the biggest headaches I had when TTC #2 was the attitude of the clinic which was basically "you've been pregnant before, you will get pregnant again". That was fine at first, but when it all started to go wrong I felt they weren't prepared to look into why it wasn't happening, and just wanted to keep on doing the same cycle over and over again, when I knew it wasn't going to work. I've no idea how old you are or what your fertility issues are, but for us while it was with DH I was also aware that I was getting older and we didn't have years and years to waste on it.

I am now pregnant (naturally) with #4, which was thought to be medically impossible.

Good luck and I hope your journey to #2 is faster than mine.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Trying for Second and Subsequent babies...

Hi bedlover, like you we were fortunate to get a BFP with our #1 first go (ivf icsi) and now have a beautiful 3 1/2 year old dd.

That definitely did give me a false sense of hope for our #2. We have been trying since April last year and have so far had 2 failed fresh ivf icsi cycles (first cycle was orgalutran and second was down regulation), a canceled FET as none of our 3 frosties survived the thaw from our first cycle and now we're just about to try another FET (praying that our only remaining frostie at least survives the thaw). Has been a very emotional year for us. Really didn't want more than a 3 year age gap between our kids but at the end of the day we'll just be happy to keep going as long as it takes to get our little #2.

Very best wishes to you I hope you get BFP as quickly as you did last time :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trying for Second and Subsequent babies...

Thanks for sharing your stories. I am about to start Our first FET this month. AF due ~14 Jan so transfer should be circa 28th.

We have unexplained infertility - DH has some sperm morph issues but not bad enough that should be a problem, I am apparently tip top - but 5+ years of unprotected "fun" and 2 years of active trying and no result meant we were fast tracked to IVF & ICSI - which gave us DS who has rocked our worlds in the best way imaginable!! :-)

It is so hard to imagine this stage taking years but that is the reality that we have to accept. We are hoping to be a family of 5 and I am 35 so we are slightly racing the clock.

Sonya - it is great to hear you got your result by being assertive which is such great advise. I (and I think a lot of other woman) tend to put complete trust in our Drs when it comes to IVF and babies in general, but we need to remember to stay in control and challenge things that don't seem right.

All you ladies still trying - good luck and I think some of us will be cycling together so I am sure I will see more of you!!

Bx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

This thread has been good to read!

I had my ds 6 years ago first pop at IVF (after ttc and testing for 2 years.) I naturally thought 'this ivf is easy!'

I didn't really want to have another baby until ds was at least 3, but when he was 2.5 I fell pregnant naturally (a miracle) although I miscarried at about 6 weeks. I wasn't too upset about miscarrying, I was more excited that I had fallen pregnant naturally for the 1st time in my life.

Then about 6 months after that I tried an frozen embryo transfer from my 1st ivf round. I got pregnant but it had a weak heartbeat from day dot and eventually passed away at about 9 weeks.

I tried another frozen transfer 6 months later which had a negative pregnancy result.

At this point my initial idea that ivf was easy was really starting to fade away! I had been given this false idea that I had no problem carrying babies, as long as the fertility clinic could do those first few steps for me... but it looked like my problem was more than that.

I only had 1 frozen embryo left, and when I spoke to my clinic about having it transferred, they told me that because there is only left, I may be better doing a fresh round because that 1 embryo might not thaw and I would be left with nothing on transfer day. So we forked out the money and did a fresh round. Also my original Dr at the clinic had left and the new Dr put me on Metformin to help with my PCOS. That fresh round I did in April 2012 and resulted in a negative pregnancy test again.

I had been planning on going back later on in 2012, but I ended up having another minor health issue which needed surgery (non-fertility related.) So that put off the baby-making plans for the rest of the year.

Then low n behold I fell pregnant naturally again a few week ago. I really felt that it was a strong pregnancy, but unfortunately I started bleeding last friday. I would have been about 5.5 weeks pregnant.

I'm 37 and I feel like time is running out. I have 3 frozen embryos at the clinic. But I really feel like getting pregnant is really an uphill battle. I feel like you Sonja - my clinic doesn't want to find out why my pregnancies aren't surviving - they are happy for me to fork out more money for ivf even though I've had 3 out of 4 failed attempts with them. I am thinking of changing clinics, but I have 3 embryos left with them, and I don't want to forget about them.

And then there's the money issue. It costs so much! It's so disheartening spending thousands of dollars and walking away with nothing! Sometimes I wonder 'is it all worth it?'

I do want to have another baby, but sometimes I feel that I don't want to go through THIS much trouble having another one!

Please share with me if you feel this way! Thanks.
    Last edited by winkle; 07-01-2013 at 14:41.