+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    She is exhausting and I really struggle to cope with her. I feel that I endure her more than I enjoy her and it's really heartbreaking. Everything is a fight and an argument and she also sleeps terribly, won't sleep until late at night, wakes up very early and every night she trashes her room. Very defiant and destructive. She was on melatonin to help her go to sleep and that was great but she would then get up at 4am and trash her room then instead. I am really hoping her paed agrees to medicate her after her next appointment, I know there's lots of stigma against medicating but I just want to enjoy my child and my other children to have a chance to have a normal existence without the constant disruption, it must also be frustrating for her to feel so erratic all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear that PS. Did the Paed suggest going to long release type after the 6 week trial? Our Paed wants us to try Ritalin for 6'weeks to get the correct dosage and then move too Concerta or Straterra. Our biggest issue is his working and processing memory. He is really well behaved and I'm scared meds will mess with his emotions but I feel we are running out of options.
    The pead would've liked to have put DS on the long release but as DS' father wouldn't consent to any more trials it never transpired

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My d's does so much better on the long release (concreta).
    It has changed his life. While he still struggles he has got c and even 1 b where as before he could never get d or e as he could never finish his work.

He is grade 10 and over 6 foot and has never had a eating problem or a underweight issue. He eats normally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hi all. I'm an old member here and I haven't been back for a very long time, for lots of reasons. But, I am back again for advice and to talk to some other Mums in situations like mine - and it seems there are a lot of us!

My son is five years old and is in the process of his diagnosis but I've known there has been something going on for more than two years and it's only now, when he has hit full-time school, that anybody wants to listen to me. Because the shiz has hit the fan and the poor kid is so disruptive in class that I am having nervous breakdowns every morning with the anticipation of his day at school. And of course now there's going to be another six-month delay until we can get into the paediatrician. The school and staff are awesome, so supportive, and I feel very positive and hopeful about things as they have told me that they will do anything at all to support him and us.

I'm just ****ed off and resentful that nobody was interested in listening to me before now (and I'm talking about family, not professionals!) It seems like you have to BEG people to listen to you and you have to have 100 reasons to back up your feelings as to why he's not `just being a boy' or the same as all the other kids `who have lots of energy' or the other kids `who don't sleep well' yada yada yada. Especially I love the people who spent 10 minutes with him and then say `Oh, he seems perfectly normal to me.'

So, after that little rant, I do have to say that I think he has only a `moderate' case (if that even exists) but then I don't know anyone else with a child with ADHD so I don't have any basis for comparison.

My main issue with him is his sleep - or, should I say, the time he wakes up. Ever since birth, he has slept badly. As a baby he would be awake from midnight until 7am every, single, night. We ended up co-sleeping just so either of us would get any sleep at all. As he has grown, he is still a chronic under-sleeper but actually he doesn't go to bed too badly anymore. He will fall asleep quite easily and stay asleep for a few hours but then usually gets up at least once in the night. He's pretty good at going back to bed though (mostly). What I can't cope with is the 4.30am - 5.30am wake-ups every, single morning. He'll come into bed with me, and he will not stop moving. And I don't mean wriggle-wriggle-still for a bit-wriggle-wriggle. It's just wriggle. Turn. Twist. Jumpy legs. Singing. Whispering. Silly noises. Endlessly and relentlessly. If he comes in at 1am or so, he will go back to sleep. But if it's after 4am he won't. At least he's at an age now where he doesn't run through the house disrupting everybody, being destructive or just generally impossible - that has really changed a lot actually. But he just is so tired all the time (and so are we).

We have tried everything - varying his bed time, putting food next to the bed, music, soft lighting, no lighting, door closed, door open, window closed and blacked out, window open a little bit, Gro-clock, routines … all the way to dire threats and even Phenergan once. Nothing. Works.

The ONLY time he will sleep a little later is if he's sleeping with me or his Dad (we sleep in separate rooms as one of us needs to get some sleep at night! We usually tag-team haha). He gets lonely easily and so when he's asleep with one of us he will actually sleep longer. Once he gets to sleep he sleeps well and deeply (I think) - but the early wake-ups are killing us all. Mostly, though, I worry about him and the effect this terrible lack of sleep has on every aspect of his behaviour. Funnily enough, nearly every day he says to me that he is always awake, all night. So perhaps he is not getting any benefit from the sleep he *is* getting.

He is a gorgeous, funny, hilarious kid who makes me laugh every day. But he also makes me want to tie him up and stick him under the bed most days. And I generally cry every day, too.

One person who really gets him is his sister - she said to me the other day, `Mummy, I think G has a game in his head and it won't stop playing, even if he wants it to.' Pretty accurate I think. Actually, DS often says to me, after some kind of behaviour that makes me want to cry, `Mummy, I just feel like my brain is going bonkers.' I've never discussed his behaviour with him but I think he knows there is something going on in his head, just not what. He's said that for many years and I don't think he's being facetious. I think it is genuinely how he feels, and he doesn't know what to do.

Wow - talk about flood gates. That wasn't supposed to happen! (Although I could have gone on for another fifty pages haha).

Does anyone have any advice about the early waking? I don't know what to do anymore!! Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me about your child with ADHD.

Wow. I think all of you mums are amazing.

One of my siblings had severe adhd and I see a lot of the same things in my 2 year old. Way too early yet for him but he is mega full on.

I really applaud you all, it can be beyond exhausting.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 12-04-2015 at 09:15.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Welcome back Babel Fish! I definitely remember you and it's lovely to see you back. My son is notorious for the early wake ups. We are just lucky that we can put him to bed at 6.30/7 and he is out like a light. It's also gotten better as he is gotten older and we can trust him to be up on his own and watch tv quietly or play on the iPad. We now have found out that some of the side effects of the meds is that it can take longer to get to sleep which you can try and alleviate with natural remedies or medication. So I can't really help but I know exactly how you feel! It's been a three year process for us but I feel like we are in the right path.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My paed is fairly certain my Ds (5.5 years old) has ADHD. He starts his first dose of Ritalin tomorrow.
    I'm so nervous that it won't work or have some horrible side effect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    Hi all. I'm an old member here and I haven't been back for a very long time, for lots of reasons. But, I am back again for advice and to talk to some other Mums in situations like mine - and it seems there are a lot of us!

My son is five years old and is in the process of his diagnosis but I've known there has been something going on for more than two years and it's only now, when he has hit full-time school, that anybody wants to listen to me. Because the shiz has hit the fan and the poor kid is so disruptive in class that I am having nervous breakdowns every morning with the anticipation of his day at school. And of course now there's going to be another six-month delay until we can get into the paediatrician. The school and staff are awesome, so supportive, and I feel very positive and hopeful about things as they have told me that they will do anything at all to support him and us.

I'm just ****ed off and resentful that nobody was interested in listening to me before now (and I'm talking about family, not professionals!) It seems like you have to BEG people to listen to you and you have to have 100 reasons to back up your feelings as to why he's not `just being a boy' or the same as all the other kids `who have lots of energy' or the other kids `who don't sleep well' yada yada yada. Especially I love the people who spent 10 minutes with him and then say `Oh, he seems perfectly normal to me.'

So, after that little rant, I do have to say that I think he has only a `moderate' case (if that even exists) but then I don't know anyone else with a child with ADHD so I don't have any basis for comparison.

My main issue with him is his sleep - or, should I say, the time he wakes up. Ever since birth, he has slept badly. As a baby he would be awake from midnight until 7am every, single, night. We ended up co-sleeping just so either of us would get any sleep at all. As he has grown, he is still a chronic under-sleeper but actually he doesn't go to bed too badly anymore. He will fall asleep quite easily and stay asleep for a few hours but then usually gets up at least once in the night. He's pretty good at going back to bed though (mostly). What I can't cope with is the 4.30am - 5.30am wake-ups every, single morning. He'll come into bed with me, and he will not stop moving. And I don't mean wriggle-wriggle-still for a bit-wriggle-wriggle. It's just wriggle. Turn. Twist. Jumpy legs. Singing. Whispering. Silly noises. Endlessly and relentlessly. If he comes in at 1am or so, he will go back to sleep. But if it's after 4am he won't. At least he's at an age now where he doesn't run through the house disrupting everybody, being destructive or just generally impossible - that has really changed a lot actually. But he just is so tired all the time (and so are we).

We have tried everything - varying his bed time, putting food next to the bed, music, soft lighting, no lighting, door closed, door open, window closed and blacked out, window open a little bit, Gro-clock, routines … all the way to dire threats and even Phenergan once. Nothing. Works.

The ONLY time he will sleep a little later is if he's sleeping with me or his Dad (we sleep in separate rooms as one of us needs to get some sleep at night! We usually tag-team haha). He gets lonely easily and so when he's asleep with one of us he will actually sleep longer. Once he gets to sleep he sleeps well and deeply (I think) - but the early wake-ups are killing us all. Mostly, though, I worry about him and the effect this terrible lack of sleep has on every aspect of his behaviour. Funnily enough, nearly every day he says to me that he is always awake, all night. So perhaps he is not getting any benefit from the sleep he *is* getting.

He is a gorgeous, funny, hilarious kid who makes me laugh every day. But he also makes me want to tie him up and stick him under the bed most days. And I generally cry every day, too.

One person who really gets him is his sister - she said to me the other day, `Mummy, I think G has a game in his head and it won't stop playing, even if he wants it to.' Pretty accurate I think. Actually, DS often says to me, after some kind of behaviour that makes me want to cry, `Mummy, I just feel like my brain is going bonkers.' I've never discussed his behaviour with him but I think he knows there is something going on in his head, just not what. He's said that for many years and I don't think he's being facetious. I think it is genuinely how he feels, and he doesn't know what to do.

Wow - talk about flood gates. That wasn't supposed to happen! (Although I could have gone on for another fifty pages haha).

Does anyone have any advice about the early waking? I don't know what to do anymore!! Thanks for reading if you made it this far.
    Have you tried a weighted blanket? We found that helped my d's that need another person to have deep pressure to sleep.

Ideas For school.
    A hot water bottle filled with cold water on his chair to magnify his movements.
    A exercise resistant band tied around the legs of chair again deep pressure and movement magnifier.
    A weight lap sash/band or toy to also help with deep pressure..
    Some kids get help from a weighted vest
    Keeping the pencil case on the floor for extra movement.
    A pop tent in the classroom for meltdown moments.
    A heat pack for meltdowns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To those with children on Ritalin, do your children fall asleep and stay asleep ok through the night?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    My d's is heavy sleeper and has always slept good no matter if he was on meds or not, so I am no help. It is a question the peak asks every time. So it must be a issues (not being able to sleep) for some kids.