+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about your child with ADHD.

Hi, I am just so tired of life with ADHD! I know there are other parents out there also living this journey but right now I just feel so alone
    I'd love to hear about your children just to know ds is not the only one. Ill come back later when I'm not onmy phone to tell you all about ds.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'll respond tomorrow when I am more awake

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh I know the exhaustion! I'm mentally exhausted with thinking how to deal with situations. Ill try and get back on in the morning too as my phone is about to die.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

All I can say is....I love you Ritalin!!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~ElectricPink~ For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (07-01-2013),ToonZie  (07-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK now I am on the computer & can type easier.

My DS is 8 and has ADHD. Currently, he is on 1000mg Fish Oil per day. We have been prescribed Ritalin but due to issues I won't get into, we can't yet start it.

DS is a bit of a scatter-brain. He can forget EVERYTHING - drink bottles get left at school, jumpers get lost, hats, he's even lost his school bag before school before because he will put it somewhere, get distracted doing something else, and anything that was in his brain prior to that just seems to disappear

He is bossy and defiant - talks back, throws tantrums (sometimes bigger than his much younger sister!), kicks his toyboxes when angry, has been known to hit/kick things from anger - yeah when he gets upset or angry, he is a nightmare.
    He also gets upset by little things and/or very easily - and will often run off crying and just plain refuse to respond or let anyone near him until he is ready.

He needs CONSTANT prompting for almost everything - from getting dressed to getting into bed, he needs constant supervision even in the shower because he will get distracted playing and forget to wash himself and then the water goes cold and he whinges like a mad man to get out
    He'll often come home from school with most of his food un-eaten, because he gets distracted talking and runs out of "eating time" and then just proceeds on to playtime.
    Oh and eating... TAKES FOREVER. He gets distracted, fidgets in the chair, talks, chews slowly - his sister is three and she eats faster than him.
    Taking him in public? FORGET IT - Shopping comes with all sorts of issues, incessant whinging "I'm boooooored" or "This is booooooooriiiiiiing", not being able to stay alongside me or the trolley, changing his mind frequently about wanting to be on the trolley or walking, wanting everything he sees....
    The Doctors? He's all over the place. He cannot just sit on a chair and wait, or sit in the corner & play with toys whilst waiting. He is up and down, back and forth - if there is a water fountain, I dread it because cups of water just magically appear - he'll clear out all their cups
    Taking him out to dinner? Nope! He can't sit on the chair, he fidgets, he makes loud, random (and often un-necessary) noises, he won't eat, he takes ages when he does eat, aaaagh.
    Friends houses - also a nightmare. If something doesn't go his way he cracks it, sulks, refuses to play, and can get very nasty with them! ("you're not my friend anymore" etc). He does this even with his cousins!
    Pretty much having any type of social life with DS around is impossible.

As for school? He struggles. Boy oh boy does he struggle. And homework? HA! Homework takes two hours of screaming (from both him and me), lots of tears (again, from both of us) and even then it's only for maybe half the amount that is expected of him. Teacher's reports come back that he never manages to finish tasks. He is behind his peers, and with NAPLAN testing this year, I am concerned.

He is exhausting - I love him to death, but I won't lie, life with him can be very difficult. It's also a day-by-day thing, some days he is worse than others. He can behave reasonably well for other people, but at home and school... yeah no. If it is something he likes, it can hold his interest, but if you try to get him away from it - you have a death wish or are just plain insane. But if it's not interesting to him - be prepared for all h#ll to break loose

We have him seeing a psychologist and even she struggles with getting him to sit down and talk, she's trying to do some educational assessments on him and she is starting to see the tantrums and meltdowns, lack of focus, etc that we get at home. It's nice to see someone else finally experience it, it's kind of like "FINALLY!"

As a side note, we have a list of DS' jobs in his room for him to refer to (simple prompts: "Make your bed" "get dressed for school" "brush your teeth" etc) and he often forgets to even look at it and comes in and asks me what he is meant to be doing. But we find if there is a fairly solid routine and he knows what to expect, it semi-lessens things for us somewhat.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PinkSmarties For This Useful Post:

brydz  (27-02-2014),LoveLivesHere  (06-01-2013),ToonZie  (07-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm back.... Should of known I would not get a moment on the computer during the day! Lol
    I'm not even sure where to start in summing up ds. He is only 4 and was diagnosed last year. It seems so early compared to many cases I know of but I have had concerns about his behaviour since infancy and been to many paeds You know how parents say they live in a fog for those first few weeks then everything settles at about 3 months.... I still feel like I am in the fog. Ds is (although in different ways) as much hard work as an Infant.
    He is just all consuming. I carry a notepad and make lists all day of all the simple stuff I need to do but can't do while he is around ie. pay bills, make ph calls, sort a drawer etc. when he goes to bed I am so exhausted it rarely gets done anyway. I even write down things I need to think about as I find it hard to even think while he is around as I am constantly listening, negotiating, entertaining or preempting wat he may do.
    He is really impulsive and always moving! I can be talking to him about why he shouldn't do 1 thing all while he is emptying a drawer just because his hands will not stop moving. He just constatly ransacks stuff! I spend my life trying to find creative hiding spots as there is nowhere in the house he cannot/ will not go. I can't even put stuff in the bin as he will randomly look in the bin and then start a conflict over something he finds in there.
    The conflicts are relentless! I can suggest we do one of his fav things but find myself fighting him all the way. You can imagine trying to do something he doesn't want to do! It could be anything ie. me saying something he wanted to say, or turning the car left when he wanted to go right (even when he doesn't know where we r!)
    He talks constantly! And loudly! And when he can't talk anymore he makes loud repetitive noises.
    He loves to be social!! But I really need to be selective of the situation.it needs to be somewhere outside where he is not restricted but cannot run away and where we can 'escape' quickly if things turn crazy. Shopping, friends houses, outings with others ( depending on who), people over, dinner are a NO for various reasons.
    He stutters because he just cannot focus on what he is saying.
    Most of the day I need to hold dd as he is really rough with her.
    He is a dare devil! I mostly look at this as a positive as his skills in many things are amazing due to his willingness to dive straight in but it's also scary and means constant supervision is necessary.
    Omg I could just write and write! Lol
    I love this little guy but he drives me nuts!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My little guy is so little he taller than me and is 13. He is starting high school next year. Simple things have help us like sitting on a hot water bottle to help him stay siting still well close to still longer. put pencil case etc on the floor etc.. so his body recognise extra movements etc.. a OT is great for things like this....

I am very tired so i will come back later with more. Feel free to pm if you need to chat.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Gosh I could have written pinksmarties post almost word for word. My DS is almost 11 and while some things have settled a little other areas seem to get worse. I guess the pre pubescent times ahead are going to be fun :/
    Since starting his meds he is coping better at school and in social situations which is great but he's only just passing his classes 'he has the knowledge and skills but needs to focus to complete the set tasks'.

Will come bak DS3 just woke up.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    he's only just passing his classes 'he has the knowledge and skills but needs to focus to complete the set tasks'.
    YES!!! This is exactly the same for my DS!! When you look at his behaviour and effort in classes, they are excellent... But he fails to finish anything he starts, so ends up only just passing It frustrates me as he is such a smart child!!!!
    We are waiting on formal IQ tests to be done via the education department... He's been on the waiting list since 2011

Jorja, hugs. My DS has been like it since a young age and was 4 when he was first referred to a paed. He was - and still can be - quite horrible to his little sister too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi,just thought I would mention that I have add and fish oil is very effective for me.

I also use loads of apps and so on so i don't have to bother using my brain for boring stuff.

If you can get your child through adolescence without having their self esteem affected, add can be a huge advantage!