+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default pets and renting

I don't think it's totally disrespecting someones to hide a cat but I guess that just me. There are almost zero pet friendly options where i live and I know, tough biccies but in 8 years ive got a glowing rental record and my cat has never done any damage, I wouldn't keep him if he did. He pretty much sleeps 23 hrs a day and has a covered, deodorised little box in the laundry that was changed every day. At final inspections we've had the owners themselves say thank you for taking such good care of the property.

It's probably more common than people think, i know a lot of people who hide cats. I think smoking inside or on a balcony can potentially cause more damage than a cat.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Gosh its starting to sound like having a cat is like running a drug lab...lol.

Well I guess I have disrespected someone property that I was so privileged and hounoured to have been able to live in while paying them.

And to also get good references and other properties thought the same agent who have always been happy with me and always complimented me on the good state of the property.

Oh but the shame my poor cat gives me. The guilt I must now live with knowing the dreadful thing that I have done. A cat living in a house in secret. Unforgivable!

I will now walk away and hang my head in shame.
    I'll join you in the walk of shame. I'm guilty too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nearly the whole time I was renting I had at least one dog. I was always upfront and disclosed this on application or speaking to the landlords. There was only one landlord who had a problem with it as the previous tenants had huskies and they scratched the floorboards through the whole house!

I also never had a problem getting a rental property even disclosing this information and was always offered every house I applied for. The dogs were a German Shepherd puppy and an adult Jack Russell (so it's not even like they were both small, old dogs)! I was also lucky that they never did any damages to any of the properties.

I would say definitely be honest. If you did move in and the dogs destroyed something, it would be worse trying to explain what happened!

ETA: I probably wouldn't disclose a cat, but cats don't seem to be as potentially destructive as dogs. Haha I think I assumed when people said no pets, they were just talking about dogs!
    Last edited by Curby; 06-01-2013 at 14:41.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post

It's probably more common than people think, i know a lot of people who hide cats. I think smoking inside or on a balcony can potentially cause more damage than a cat.
    I agree 100% with this. I personally hate seeing cigarette butts in between cracks, in a big jar or ashtray (as apposed to an enclosed ash tray) or flicked into a garden from either the tenant or guests.
    As an owner Id rather see a cat asleep on the couch when I inspect the place than cigarette butts.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

OP I think you should just ask your landlord. It sounds like he would probably be ok with it. Just make sure you say that you'll fix any damages and maybe offer a few $$ more in the rent.
    It's not worth getting a black mark on your record especially if you're going to be renting for many more years or the rest of your life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad rents out one of his properties and has evicted 3 couples in the past 5 years for lying about animals. Dads sister lives next door to the property so she keeps a good eye on it for him. Its his property and if he says no animals people should respect that or find somewhere else to live.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (06-01-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have rented with a dog, didn't hide it though. I think it would be too much of a PITA plus I do think it's dishonest. We have just accepted we wont have any pets until we buy our own home. I am not that disappointed as we aren't great pet lovers I would love to have some chickens as they are great for the grass/eggs but can't be bothered fighting to get permission.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Hiding a dog and hiding a cat are two totally different things.

I have ashamedly hid my cat for a short time because we did have him at a friends and my cat did not get along at all with their cats. So I took him back for a couple of months until we moved to a pet friendly place.

People who say they won't allow fish/rabbits etc I'm not sure of others states but in WA those animals are not classed as pets and do not need to be declared to the owner.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

I dont think you really can hide a dog. They have to be outside during the day when you aren't there. Would be quite easy to get caught.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    I am a landlord, with a tiny fibro house on a huge development block. The original fence at the back is 3 foor high (easily jumpable for a person) and my sister lives over the back fence. So for her security I only rent to people who have a dog! I feel that it makes the house more attractive to tenants if they can have a big dog there, and the yard is scrubby grass and large trees, so plenty of space and shade for a dog. I don't care if the dog goes inside, I can't imagine there are many people who adhere to the 'outside dog' thing anyway.
    We had a pet friendly rental and our two dogs never set foot inside the house. There are some people who declare their pets and follow the rules

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (06-01-2013)